Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 - E50, E90, & CGOET Camera Experiences

Reaction score
Good afternoon all;

I'm currently considering purchasing the Yuneec H520 and I have a few questions to ask the pros who have experience using the different cameras that the H520 has to offer.

I'm very interested in using the CGOET camera for thermography of roofs, homes, commercial bldgs., and solar panels . But does anyone know if you can use this camera to do Wind Turbine inspections?

Also, could you use this camera to provide cell tower inspections? According to some of the information I've seen for all 3 cameras for the H520, it appears that they all have different uses, but I tend to wonder if the CGOET is good enough to handle both jobs, i.e. (Thermal Inspections and Wind Turbine Inspections) which would hopefully cut down my cost of having to purchase two cameras.

An one last question, has anyone had a chance to use I think it's the E90 camera for 3D modeling? If so, what has your experience with it been like? And how do you like Yuneec's software for it?

Ok that's all my questions, lol. Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. Have a GREAT DAY folks.:)

It will be difficult to find a single camera that will be suitable for all situations. The -ET low light camera is 1080p and is probably not satisfactory for inspection work where high resolution is needed.
I'll let others comment on your other questions.

It will be difficult to find a single camera that will be suitable for all situations. The -ET low light camera is 1080p and is probably not satisfactory for inspection work where high resolution is needed.
I'll let others comment on your other questions.

Gotcha, thank you for the info.

All of the cell phone tower work I have been involved with has required a 16-20mp camera, so I don't think the CGOET will get you there. The E90 will. But if you want to do cell tower mapping, POI is a helpful feature that has not been added yet. In the profiles (cell tower work) we have take photos manually, the photo button location is not the best because you cannot yaw while pushing the photo button. I have been impressed by the GPS stability in the wind with the 6 motor design, a definite advantage when close to structures.

All of the cell phone tower work I have been involved with has required a 16-20mp camera, so I don't think the CGOET will get you there. The E90 will. But if you want to do cell tower mapping, POI is a helpful feature that has not been added yet. In the profiles (cell tower work) we have take photos manually, the photo button location is not the best because you cannot yaw while pushing the photo button. I have been impressed by the GPS stability in the wind with the 6 motor design, a definite advantage when close to structures.
Oh ok thank you for that info. This is very beneficial.

Have you tried using Time-Lapse mode?

I have used timelapse for mapping parking lots details, but not for cell phone tower mapping, a bit too slow for that. And without POI, not really a viable option.

Interesting, but not sure I understand what you are saying. POI can be a nice feature, but certainly not needed. And if the camera is too slow for the flight, the flight can certainly be slowed to the speed of the camera.

If you want to do Cell phone tower mapping (or any vertical thin structure) - POI is really needed. Not many pilots can maintain a consistent radius orbiting a point in windy conditions. So if you want to take photos of a cell phone tower, no you don't need POI. If you want to map all the rads on 5-10 towers a day at each level. No one would do that freehand. Yuneec said they would add POI, and since I do some cell tower work, and the H520 has great stability in the wind, I wanted to see how well it would do compared to the DJI products. So If the tower company requires mapping, we are forced into a DJI product.

If you want to do Cell phone tower mapping (or any vertical thin structure) - POI is really needed. Not many pilots can maintain a consistent radius orbiting a point in windy conditions. So if you want to take photos of a cell phone tower, no you don't need POI. If you want to map all the rads on 5-10 towers a day at each level. No one would do that freehand. Yuneec said they would add POI, and since I do some cell tower work, and the H520 has great stability in the wind, I wanted to see how well it would do compared to the DJI products. So If the tower company requires mapping, we are forced into a DJI product.
One can always map the tower vertically and when altitude is reached move to the next point in the “orbit” instead of mapping in a round orbit, the photos would be taken in vertical columns. I would start at the top to make sure no sky would be in the photos then work down slowly taking photos at predetermined altitudes.( the process can be time consuming and tbh a little of a pain in the ***, but if for some reason my P4 wasn’t an option ( geofencing) that would be my method of attack.

One can always map the tower vertically and when altitude is reached move to the next point in the “orbit” instead of mapping in a round orbit, the photos would be taken in vertical columns. I would start at the top to make sure no sky would be in the photos then work down slowly taking photos at predetermined altitudes.( the process can be time consuming and tbh a little of a pain in the ***, but if for some reason my P4 wasn’t an option ( geofencing) that would be my method of attack.
No, you really can't if you are hired to do cell phone tower inspection mapping, normally the clients has a flight profile, and the profile of doing it vertically will not work, they are not interested in the pole but very interested in detail of the antennas & arrays. So you cannot fly the profiles I was paid to do with the H520.

Good point I did not take that into consideration. I know I have mapped towers this way but I did the processing in pix 4d. I also mapped the same tower with my P4 using an orbit. The H520 gave better results( P4 has a smaller MP sensor than the E90) this was only for testing and not a client. I never figured the client to have flight profiles. So yeah H520 no bueno.

No, you really can't if you are hired to do cell phone tower inspection mapping, normally the clients has a flight profile, and the profile of doing it vertically will not work, they are not interested in the pole but very interested in detail of the antennas & arrays. So you cannot fly the profiles I was paid to do with the H520.

Good point I did not take that into consideration. I know I have mapped towers this way but I did the processing in pix 4d. I also mapped the same tower with my P4 using an orbit. The H520 gave better results( P4 has a smaller MP sensor than the E90) this was only for testing and not a client. I never figured the client to have flight profiles. So yeah H520 no bueno.

Have either of you tested the new features recently released for the H520? I have not but IIRC POI was one of the features added.

Correct me if I'm way off base :)

I have not seen that feature.... and have found an article saying they are releasing a new update, but it hasn’t been released yet( I’ve been hearing this for a long time so I’m not getting my hopes up)

Reactions: BigAl07
I have not seen that feature.... and have found an article saying they are releasing a new update, but it hasn’t been released yet( I’ve been hearing this for a long time so I’m not getting my hopes up)

I haven't seen it released yet (wishful thinking on my part I guess LOL) but it "sounds" like it's all but released since Yuneec is talking about it in such detail. Hopefully very soon.....

H520 UPDATES
> ORBIT FLIGHT
Lets the H520 circle around the Pilot/Remote Control in a user defined distance, always pointing the camera to the center of the circle.

> POI/ROI SUPPORT
Region of Interest (ROI) allows the user to set a point of interest, for which the camera will stay focused.

> RETURN TO CONTROLLER
This feature lets the H520 return to the position of the controller instead of the launch position.

> E90 DIGITAL ZOOM
The new digital zoom feature allows the user to digitally zoom in and out with two finger gesture. Zoom factor is up to 8x, whereas the view on the ST16S is lossless up to 4x.

> DATAPILOT CRASH LOGGING
Allows for better analysis of software crashes.

> TERRAIN FOLLOWING
With terrain follow, the H520 adjusts its flying height in correspondence to the map’s height data.

> CONCAVE POLYGON MISSION SUPPORT
Mission polygons can now be concave.

> GENERAL
Software improvements and bug fixes

A while ago, talking to a member of the forum on the phone, I looked at the dates of CES 2019. From 8 January to 11 January. It was supposed to be published during CES. We are 17 January and still nothing :(

To have the honey in the lips, for so long awaited, and to make us suffer a little more... it is not well :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: BigAl07
A while ago, talking to a member of the forum on the phone, I looked at the dates of CES 2019. From 8 January to 11 January. It was supposed to be published during CES. We are 17 January and still nothing :(

To have the honey in the lips, for so long awaited, and to make us suffer a little more... it is not well :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So close yet oh so FAR away . . . . :)

Reactions: arruntus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech