Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 for mapping on 600 ha.

Reaction score
We plan to use the H520 for surveying mapping.
Please advice from you guys that have used it, whether it's quite tough to capture photos in an area of 600 ha, by performing a battery replacement in the middle of flight plan.

600 ha is a lot for any multirotor today that is not a combustion multirotor. You'll have to separate it into different flights with multiple battery changes and multiple location changes.

For such large extensions, a fixed wing is ideal. with patience can be done.

But... to give an idea of the possibilities, I created a 100ha survey. Not knowing any of the parameters desired by the OP, I just kept the defaults my ST16s gave me (or was set to previously).

Camera: E50
Area: 100ha
Image count: 1105
Batteries: 6
Distance: 29,810 m
Time: 1 hour, 39 minutes
Altitude: 138.5m
Ground Resolution: 3 cm/px

Camera: E90
Area: 100ha
Image Count: 377
Batteries: 3
Distance: 16,758 m
Time: 55 minutes
Altitude: 138.5m
Ground Resolution: 4.06 cm/px

As arruntus states, breaking up the mission into smaller chunks, assuming accessibility to each "chunk" complete with launch/landing clearance, the math speaks for itself, no?

Hope this helps to give some idea of the capabilities, in its non-scientific, non-absolute, your mileage may vary, as is, for hypothetical purposes only.

Jeff

Last edited:
Of course it's possible. What I am trying to point out is that for such a large area it is not very "practical" to use a multirotor.

It can be done but then the moment of truth arrives, and reality tells us that a wind of 15 km/h, which is not very strong or gusts that do not fall within the planned theoretical flight we throw the plan we have made in the office.

2 weeks ago I made some precision agricultural flights and theoretically with a maximum wind of 10 km/h, which is little, in the field became a wind of 25 km/h and stronger gusts and despite having calculated the routes with margin in 2 occasions the multirotor I used, with an autonomy of 35 minutes, return to the home without finishing the mission. This forced me to rethink the missions, in the field, and upset all the flight planning that had taken me so long to plan.

Using a fixed wing that in principle has much more autonomy allows you more room for maneuver.

My advice? Carry more batteries than necessary to cope with unforeseen events such as these.

Reactions: emilereynolds
We plan to use the H520 for surveying mapping.
Please advice from you guys that have used it, whether it's quite tough to capture photos in an area of 600 ha, by performing a battery replacement in the middle of flight plan.

My suggestion would be getting a fixed wing drone for areas that large.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz