Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 - Payload Drop (from skids)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I have seen it posted before, thought it was on this forum but for the life of me I can't locate it now.

It was a simple system of utilizing a light weight rod and rings to suspend the payload between the skids. At the release point the skids were retracted releasing the rod/payload from the aircraft.

Anyone have a link to it?

These were designed for the H480 with a CGO3+, and will not fit a Plus with a C23, or an H520 with an E90, because the 5.8gHz antenna can interfere with the rods and prevent full gimbal articulation. It is likely it would work with the CGOET, because of its similar size to the CGO3+
There is a drop system specifically for the H520 for S&R work that mounts above the gimbal, can't seem to locate the link just now. Will keep looking.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks Steve. No that's not the one I saw.

I've got that system on my Inspire 1V2. It's crazy over priced for what it is. I'm selling my Inspire which is why I'm trying to retrofit the H520 to take over the drop operations of the Inspire.
These were designed for the H480 with a CGO3+, and will not fit a Plus with a C23, or an H520 with an E90, because the 5.8gHz antenna can interfere with the rods and prevent full gimbal articulation. It is likely it would work with the CGOET, because of its similar size to the CGO3+
There is a drop system specifically for the H520 for S&R work that mounts above the gimbal, can't seem to locate the link just now. Will keep looking.

I saw a system like you're talking about that was demo'd at a recent show in the UK (I only saw a video of it).

The system I'm looking for is just a couple of "rings"on the landing skids and a rod/tube suspended through the rings. When the landing skids are retracted they spread dropping the rod/tube and the payload.

Thank you all for looking.
Allen

I found it by not using H520 in my search string LOL!

Here's one of the videos (there are a couple) I was referring to:

The original landing gear has a plastic lug on the bottom which was used as a convenient way to to drop an object. Something as simple as a cardboard paper towel roll placed on the lugs could support a light weight load and would drop when the gear is retracted.

Landing Gear Drop System.jpg

Is this the one you were thinking about?

Reactions: DCH
Is this the one you were thinking about?
Exactly! I would love something like that, but I can tell just by looking at it that it's way out of my budget. I was starting to make a Stork copy for my H480s when my Plus came along, but I've abandon the project since I will be selling the 480s soon.

Exactly! I would love something like that, but I can tell just by looking at it that it's way out of my budget. I was starting to make a Stork copy for my H480s when my Plus came along, but I've abandon the project since I will be selling the 480s soon.

I've reached out to the guy who made that video (Uwe Loewer) and to the actually designer Mr. Jørgen Klausgaard . I would like to have more information on the project and it's current status.

I'll update this thread if I learn anything more. In the mean time, I'm going to copy the low-tech version so I can put it into service delivering SAR payloads ASAP.

Uwe Loewer also works in emergency services with drones. The fault I saw with this system is the high weight of the whole. Many times something simpler turns out to be more effective..........................

Uwe Loewer also works in emergency services with drones. The fault I saw with this system is the high weight of the whole. Many times something simpler turns out to be more effective..........................

I agree with you on both aspects.

After getting ideas from those videos and contributors in this thread I have a couple of other options I'm going to try this evening.

The original landing gear has a plastic lug on the bottom which was used as a convenient way to to drop an object. Something as simple as a cardboard paper towel roll placed on the lugs could support a light weight load and would drop when the gear is retracted.

View attachment 14314

I never even noticed those "lugs" on my H520 but I just went home and sure enough there they are. I've got some things I'm going to experiment with using them and see how well it works. Once I get the concept down I'll source more appropriate materials

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: DCH and Steve Carr

View attachment 14314

I made a simply/crude payload drop "rod" out of CPVC. This was just to test the process and prove it works. I cut a 1"ID pc of CPVC to approx 9 1/4" long. 3/4"ID would be better (I'm pretty sure) but I left the 3/4" PEX tubinh in my office today LOL.

I drilled a small hole exactly in the middle and loosely ran a zip tie through this hole. This is where I will attach the item(s) to be dropped.

The CPVC pipe isn't too tight so it doesn't put any stress on the landing gear at all.

Once I get the dimensions tweaked I'll probably order some Carbon Fiber rods to help reduce weight.

After I bring the 3/4" PEX and try it out I'll make pics and maybe a drop video.

Reactions: morry
My tests went GREAT! I am waiting on the weather to give me a break so I can get outside and do some real-world testing (H520 blows a lot of papers and the curtains around in the house LOL) and I'll get a good video then.

I made the cross piece out of 3/4" PEX tubing and it worked splendidly. It's cheap, relatively light weight, and stiff enough to carry the lighter things we can deliver. Once I play around with it some more I may order some CF tubing if I can find the exact right ID... the 3/4" pex is a pinch too tight but heating the tip and flattening it out makes it just loose enough to slip off. I'm not sure the PEX can carry a 2-way radio or something along that weight amount... we will see.

looking forward to see your results. Two way radio, splendid idea for rescue.

looking forward to see your results. Two way radio, splendid idea for rescue.

Thanks. We are able to deploy 2-way, marking lights, first aid, survival supplies, flash light and more. I'm replacing my Inspire 1 V2 with the H520 for Emergency Services.

*Corrected spelling error*

Last edited:
Thanks. We are able to reploy 2-wat, marking lights, first aid, survival supplies, flash light and more. I'm replacing my Inspire 1 V2 with the H520 for Emergency Services.
I recall following you on Commercial Drone Pilots, but it became another DJI forum.
Glad to see you over here!

I recall following you on Commercial Drone Pilots, but it became another DJI forum.
Glad to see you over here!

In the end almost everyone goes for what sells best because they have more options to learn from others, they have more support. But in general I see that forum that is spoken much in general and does not apply specifically to a brand. To learn new things is a good option.

The pity is that I do not have time to devote all the time it deserves, there are very interesting things.

Reactions: BigAl07 and AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval