Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 Yaw Expo

Reaction score
Hi All, this is Lance Product manager from Yuneec

Since I know a lot of feedback never get to us efficiently, I will like to start here and facebook group to communicate with you guys .
the see what need to be done on the apps .

What I heard from the Facebook group in 520 is the Yaw expo , can anyone explain that in detail ???
Thanks

Since I know a lot of feedback never get to us efficiently, I will like to start here and facebook group to communicate with you guys .

What I heard from the Facebook group in 520 is the Yaw expo , can anyone explain that in detail ???
Thanks

Hi Lance. Thanks for coming into the forum.
Expo’s are needed so that we the user can change how the aircraft yaws or accelerates.
At the moment Yuneec set the expos themselves and the settings cannot be changed by the user. It would be nice to be able to change how sharp we want the aircraft to turn and react to the st16s stick controls. All you have to do is unlock the settings just like in the H480 typhoon.

The yaw function on the H520, even though some expo was added in one of the more recent updates has not gone far enough. The yaw is much too aggressive and almost impossible to get a nice, slow and smooth yaw to left or right when filming. As Peggy mentioned above this flight control , Yaw Expo, needs to be user adjustable, not just fixed by Yuneec. The original Typhoon H had this feature to adjust Expo on ALL main flight controls. I personally would like this on the H520. Also the gimbal tilt speed, again is way too aggressive and should also have the ability to adjust the speed and expo.
I find these issues such a limiting problem that I am seriously thinking of selling my H520. I have been patiently waiting for the these problems to be addressed since day one. I was one of the first H520 owners and if this could be fixed I would happily continue with the H520 as my go to flight platform.

The yaw control on the H520 is very sensitive (even using slow speed on the right hand slider) and completely out of balance with the pitch & roll control, this makes manually flying circles around structures all but impossible. As other have said programmable exponential and rates on primary controls are required so that a pilot can setup the controls to suit the task. The standard Typhoon H is an excellent example of how to implement this.

Lance Fung
The other control which needs attention is the Camera tilt control
The control is to sensitive and the camera pitch to fast, again the standard Typhoon H allowed a programmable time of travel which could be used to customise this control, also in the mode where pot forward tilts the camera up, pot back tilts the camera down and pot centre stop the tilt, the centre position has a very small dead band so it's impossible to stop the tilt where you want it and in this mode the camera pitch is also to fast for precision control.

Thanks for coming to the forum. Beyound the expos, a few other additions.

I'd like to see the H Plus features included with H520 base FW. The cost of the H520 should include the H Plus capabilities and build on that with current H520 and additional features.

Would like to see Yuneec more actively pursue, share and participate in 3rd Party development software. Provide access or interface for maintenance applets for battery, logs, flights, etc. Exp: DroneLogBook. Ability to add "functional" apps to Android RC, ability to optionally use Google Playstore or Yuneec provide a AppStore with various apps focused on sUAV.

Reactions: Mc-Murph
Same concern issue smoothing orders, too jerks in flight orders. The smoothing of the tilt of the camera is impossible in flight, the camera falls by jerk, it is almost necessary to stop the flight, to go down the camera and to repaint the flight with the new inclination not to have a sudden jump during the recording flight .
I do not have this concern on the Inspire where I can go down and go up the camera without any jerks. With the H520, there, it is impossible to follow a subject on the ground by flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
Speaking of camera control... unless it is just my kit, the pan (knob) is too sensitive as well. It takes a very minor turn from center to get the camera panning much too fast.

Looking forward to many constructive conversations here, Lance!

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
Hey, @Lance Fung ( Yuneec ) , welcome to the forum.

As you can see, colleagues have told you one of the most recurrent requests we have made since the beginning, to have Expo in the flight controls and in the camera.

In this thread you have all these requests compiled, some, unfortunately few, have already been implemented, others not and most of us believe they are basic for the H520, having a very good hardware base as we have, with a bit of firmware development, make the drone is a real beast, the envy of other drones.

Many of the requests are to make the H520 also a machine capable of recording good cinematographic shots, a field in which it has very little path for lack of implementation. In the pitch control of the camera, not only have the possibility of putting exponential curves, but also something as useful as a braking movement once indicated the pitch degrees. Don't let the movement brake abruptly.

If with that group of facebook that you talk about, we can get to know the roadmap would be very interesting, even if we do not have deadlines, but at least know the direction that Yuneec takes regarding the drone and that we can contribute ideas that can be productive.

With respect to the exponential, it can be implemented in several ways, but it usually describes a curve like the one I show in this image.

Depending on how much and how quickly you move a stick, progressively more or less % is applied. This allows you to gently move the stick, gently increase the amount or % you move. If on the contrary you moves it quickly, the start is gradual and then it is applied more energetically. This allows for smooth movement, which does not have to be slow. Which does not have to be is sharp as we have right now.

Ideas to implement the H520 here are not going to lack :)

Thanks

Hello Lance,
I am using H520 for about 3 months and maybe don,t get all info and solutions but these are my thoughts after that time:
1. improve stability of DataPilot on ST16S - very often it,s restarting or loosing connection with E90 when I push the record button or photo. Also it sometimes crashing when I try to plan a mission. Very often camera calibration never end just status bar stops at the end. Disconnection during calibration - this is also my issue (maybe my drone is broken???) see my video below:
2. ST16S have Intel processor why then we are using very old Android system? Can you plan to switch to newer version? As far as I know newer version - better stability, better energy saving, better memory managing and so on.
3. switching from 5 ghz to 2,4 ghz - when I lose view from E90 don even know in which direction the H520 is flying. I mean distances like 800 meters. All data are transmitted via 5 ghz only controls via 2,4 Ghz. I think that it would be great if we can have on map H520 localisation and movements. Also how can we make a survey when I am loosing my drone at 800 meters in open field? After that H520 switching to RTK.
4. Faster connection ST16S with E90 (now more than 1 minute and very often it have to reconnect after 2-3 minutes) and much faster compass and accellerometer calibration - DJI users are laughing with this method...
5. Can you shoot the guy who is responsible for this notification? I thought thath I get heard attack when I was unable to do anything on ST16S ant when my H520 was not coming back...

6. Is it possible to speedup offline maps downloadig?
7. Is it possible to get video from E90 via cable without ejecting the MicroSD card?
8. please update DataPilot app on Windows - there are no new flight missions like corridor scan and structure scan.
9 Nice to have panorama mode on E90 or even 360 degrees photo mode
thats all for know - hope the DataPilot app will be improved :)

Last edited:
Hi Lance,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to gather feedback. I'm a surveyor but also take images and video for client and company promotion.

Things i'd like to see;
1, Expo curves as discussed for aircraft yaw & gimbal controls with 'soft stops' to help remove abrupt motions
2, Big one for me - a choice of camera setting options before uploading a survey mission. I dont want to have to pause the mission to fiddle with the menus to put the camera back into a different colour or white balance setting. Unprocessed is not good enough a colour setting for most of my surveys.
3, Histogram
4, Last time I flew there was a bug with the terrain follow data download - any data already downloaded in the maps section was disregarded and Datapilot refused to upload the flight plan until the controller had been connected to the internet and the files downloaded. Not good when out in the middle of nowhere!
4, Use the d pads to alter camera settings on the fly
5, Litchi-style curved trajectory flight plans with camera focus on multiple POIs

Hope that is helpful. Do please keep us informed.

Hi Lance. I'm from Australia and we lack a couple of things. Haydn from Mountain view does a great job but we need warranty support closer to us. Having to wait weeks to get a camera replaced under warranty is too long.

It would also be nice to be able to access the service deals in this country that are available in the US and UK.

Second issue is the VERY long time that it is taking to get an E10T 320 to Australia. I ordered on with a 25 degree lens months ago and there is still no indication of when it might arrive. It is really taking too long.

Can we also have the software re the E90 looked at. I have two cameras that have soft focus on the photo settings and sharp focus on video. The problem appeared back in February and has caused me to use video capture to get nice sharp images. Prior to the update the cameras had pretty sharp images in photo mode.

As an owner of 2 X H520's and 2 X Typhoon H Pro's I can completely support the requests for user definable expos on the controls and camera.

Better paperwork relating to updates and upgrades would be appreciated. Too often the senior members of the forum have commented that we have to discover things ourselves. That is not good when we are operating aircraft in a highly regulated environment and where we are required to have a thorough understanding of the capabilities of the drones and their systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval