Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520E problems after update

Reaction score
Thought I would coalesce my experience of the last couple of weeks with the H520E updates and some conversations with Yuneec support about what they plan in the future...

The H520E and ST16E have updates for all the software and firmware, including the Android OS.

You can download DataPilot v2 directly from the Google Play Store on the transceiver. It fixes any problems you were having with altitude detection/collection. I would highly recommend the update(s) as it adds several other new features that are too numerous to mention all of them here, but things like: the ability to choose which updates to download and the order in which to install them :cool:; gyroscope calibration; new flight planning options; new offline maps to use; etc. No re-binding is needed. I tested the drone after all the updates and had no issues.

Do the DataPilot v2 update first and reboot. I have a problem with the OFDM interfering with my office WiFi signal. For others who have this problem, turn on your phone's hotspot, place it next to the ST16 and connect to that signal. That solved the interference problem for me. Once the ST16 reboots, you will need to close the v1 DataPilot and start v2 manually from the home screen. (After you are done with the updates, you can delete v1 and then v2 will start automatically.) Check for and update the Android and ST 16 soft/firmware without the drone turned on. Next, connect the USB cable from the top of the ST16 to the back of the drone (OFDM port). Turn the drone on and check for and update its firmware starting with the drone and transceiver OFDM updates. That method worked for me. I would recommend rebooting both devices after each individual update.

I had a few conversations with support during and after the update. It seems the Team-Europe group has taken over the online US support requests. Not sure what happened to the US group, still trying to get them to tell me. I had several online support tickets that went unanswered, and then the EU group started answering new questions after several days of silence from US. They did say they are working on a desktop version of v2, but gave no time frame. They are also working on a dual charger for the H520E (I made the mistake of buying the DY5 that supports the H520 batteries, but not the H520E :mad:), also no time frame given.

They are having a sitewide 10% sale until June 30, so get your gear now! Code is SEMIANNUAL10.

Last edited:
Thanks for the step by step infos!
I'm just wondering, what you mean when you write that the DY5 is not compatible with the H520e?
I bought my DY5 with the H520e, because the seller told me that it's fully compatible with the H520e batteries.
I use the DY5 for my H520e batteries since February. So far no problems.
It also seems to me that the batteries are fully charged (the display of the DY5 says 4.35V per cell and 100% at around 3600mAh).
When I'm testing an already fully charged battery in the standard charger, than after 5min the beep sounds. So it seems that it really is fully charged by the DY5.

Karsten

Reactions: Eggman
Thanks for the step by step infos!
I'm just wondering, what you mean when you write that the DY5 is not compatible with the H520e?
I bought my DY5 with the H520e, because the seller told me that it's fully compatible with the H520e batteries.
I use the DY5 for my H520e batteries since February. So far no problems.
It also seems to me that the batteries are fully charged (the display of the DY5 says 4.35V per cell and 100% at around 3600mAh).
When I'm testing an already fully charged battery in the standard charger, than after 5min the beep sounds. So it seems that it really is fully charged by the DY5.

Karsten
You must have a different version charger than I was sent. Are you in theUSA? The pin sets weren’t even close to matching. I couldn’t physically fit the H520E battery in the cradle. I asked support and they confirmed they won’t work together, but are working on it. I included a portion of an email thread about the issue below.

From Yuneec:

“Hi, we are working on it, but can´t tell when it will be available.
Thanks,

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM, Bill Eggers < wrote via Helpcenter:
I picked a DY5 Dual Charger, but it doesn't support H520E batteries. The connector on the battery and charger are different and don't fit in the cradle. Do you have a dual charger for those batteries or plan to manufacture one?
Sent with Kayako
url

I'm from Germany and bought it here.
I've attached some photos of my DY5.

Attachments

• 20210626_213736.jpg
    20210626_213736.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20210626_214000.jpg
    20210626_214000.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210626_213933.jpg
    20210626_213933.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: vr-pilot
I'm from Germany and bought it here.
I've attached some photos of my DY5.
That looks different than the one I was sold. I don't have it any longer to take pictures, but the pin on the far left was at a 90-degree angle to the others. I also don't have any other batteries to compare, so I'm not sure which one it was for, but it definitely didn't fit my batteries. Yours looks clearly like the H520E batteries would work. Weird how their support said it wouldn't. Perhaps, they don't sell it in the US yet??

That looks different than the one I was sold. I don't have it any longer to take pictures, but the pin on the far left was at a 90-degree angle to the others. I also don't have any other batteries to compare, so I'm not sure which one it was for, but it definitely didn't fit my batteries. Yours looks clearly like the H520E batteries would work. Weird how their support said it wouldn't. Perhaps, they don't sell it in the US yet??
Yes, it seems that they sent you the DY5 for the H520. The H520 batteries have a different connection and definitely don't fit the H520e (and vice versa).

Thank you for your write up @Eggman !

I have a problem. My ST16 is updated, but it's constantly losing connection to the drone now. I can't update the drone. Connecting the USB cable does not help, I get the 'connect the drone by USB, this message will disappear if the connection is successful' message.

Does anyone have any tips how I could complete the update process or if there is a way to reset everything? I reached out to customer support, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Reactions: Zanderi
This may be a stupid question, but where are you plugging in the USB cable? It should in the very back, on the black-colored part. Are you using an ST16E? Can you update the items on the ST16E that can be updated without the drone turned on?

This may be a stupid question, but where are you plugging in the USB cable? It should in the very back, on the black-colored part. Are you using an ST16E? Can you update the items on the ST16E that can be updated without the drone turned on?
Yeah, in the black part, between the connection status LED and the connection button hole. I wrote the customer service and no one got back to me in 4 days. The drone is pretty much bricked, I have tried everything I could so far.

I have found some alarming threads saying their drones were replaced because the USB connection did not work and could not be fixed.

Yeah, in the black part, between the connection status LED and the connection button hole. I wrote the customer service and no one got back to me in 4 days. The drone is pretty much bricked, I have tried everything I could so far.

I have found some alarming threads saying their drones were replaced because the USB connection did not work and could not be fixed.
Hmm. Not sure what else could be wrong other than what you report. I would try the EU support group. The US group is worthless.

This is the email address that responds to me more often than not. I’ve never had the US group respond.

Team Europe (Yuneec)
[email protected]
We managed to sort out the problem. The ST16 updated the OFDM and couldn't update the drone's. The Datapilot (v1 and v2 as well) didn't recognize the drone through the USB cable either. Customer support sent me the zip file for the drone OFDM and I was told to put it on an SD card, plug it into the drone directly with a card reader and it would automatically recognize the file and update itself. This worked and after this both the radio and the USB connection between the ST16 and the H520E worked.

As for the customer service... They are not checking the kayako site, the person I talked to wasn't even aware they had one. I received no answer there in two weeks. I was given their office number by the EU customer service and the person I talked to acted as a third party toward and engineer who finally helped me sort the problem out. The situation seems to be that there is some form of customer service in existence, but it will come through personal contact with the company. Submitting a ticket on the website did nothing for me.

Thank you for your answers and help!

I find the whole customer service situation very confusing. I was sent a direct connection to someone in the US to use too rather than go through the web site any longer.

Estoy en la misma situación, ¿podrías enviarme el Zip?
[email protected]

I am in the same situation, could you send me the Zip?
[email protected]
@Zanderi,
Todavía no he encontrado una copia del Zip. Tenga en cuenta que no conozco el H520E. Hago esta sugerencia basándome sólo en lo que he leído en otros posts. Pero noto que los problemas que tienes pueden estar relacionados con que la versión antigua de DataPilot sigue siendo la versión activa en tu ST16E hasta que la borras. Y la versión antigua aparentemente causa los problemas que ves. ¿Ha borrado la versión antigua de DATAPilot?
H520 V1.jpg
Traducción realizada con la versión gratuita del traductor www.DeepL.com/Translator

I have not yet found a copy of the Zip.
Please be aware I do not know the H520E. I make this suggestion based only on what I read in other posts. But I notice the problems you have may be related to the old version of DataPilot is still the active version on your ST16E until you delete it. And the old version apparently causes the problems you see. Have you deleted the old version of DATAPilot?
H520 V1 EN.jpg

@Zanderi,
Todavía no he encontrado una copia del Zip. Tenga en cuenta que no conozco el H520E. Hago esta sugerencia basándome sólo en lo que he leído en otros posts. Pero noto que los problemas que tienes pueden estar relacionados con que la versión antigua de DataPilot sigue siendo la versión activa en tu ST16S hasta que la borras. Y la versión antigua aparentemente causa los problemas que ves. ¿Ha borrado la versión antigua de DATAPilot?
View attachment 26507
Traducción realizada con la versión gratuita del traductor www.DeepL.com/Translator

I have not yet found a copy of the Zip.
Please be aware I do not know the H520E. I make this suggestion based only on what I read in other posts. But I notice the problems you have may be related to the old version of DataPilot is still the active version on your ST16S until you delete it. And the old version apparently causes the problems you see. Have you deleted the old version of DATAPilot?
View attachment 26508

No he podido encontrar una copia de este documento en español. Este es un intento de traducción, pero tenga en cuenta que no es un documento original de Yuneec:

I could not find a copy of this document in Spanish. This is an attempt at translation, but please be aware it is not an original Yuneec Document:

Attachments

• Cómo desinstalar DatatPilot- ES.pdf
    892.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: DoomMeister
¡Gracias por escribir [USER = 26776] @Eggman [/ USER]!

Tengo un problema. Mi ST16 está actualizado, pero ahora pierde constantemente la conexión con el dron. No puedo actualizar el dron. Conectar el cable USB no ayuda, recibo el mensaje 'conecte el dron por USB, este mensaje desaparecerá si la conexión es exitosa'.

¿Alguien tiene algún consejo sobre cómo podría completar el proceso de actualización o si hay una manera de restablecer todo? Me comuniqué con el servicio de atención al cliente, pero aún no he recibido una respuesta.
Hola, me pasa lo mismo, el drone no reconoce el USB con el st-16,: descargué un archivo ZIP, que vi en el hilo y lo agregué a la micro SD, pero el drone no lo arranca . Vivo en España, EE. UU. Y el archivo es EE. UU., No sé si por eso

Hello gentlemen Pilots.
I search the SDK with OFDM library for the H520E Yuneec Drone ?
Can you tell me where i can find it ?

Thanks a lotd

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me