Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920 Plus & A7SII - unicorn or realistic?

Reaction score
Hi all, Typhoon H owner for a year. Love it. My first drone and all I ever broke in a year were two props using it as an aerial hedge trimmer. Bought it for filmmaking and having an aerial perspective has been life-changing. For that very reason I am ready to move up to a higher level of image quality.

On the ground I shoot with an FS700/Odyssey7Q+ combination, on gimbals I use an A7SII. Lenses change between the two cameras so life is wonderful. ..which brings me to the Tornado H920+.

I've read past articles and product releases where the GB603 gimbal is used in order to mount the Sony A series cameras to the Tornado, but I find no mention of the A7SII or A7RII. The bodies are slightly different, I have both, and I am confident that I could shoehorn the A7SII into the GB603, but I can't find any mention of whether or not the ST-16 can operate the A series cameras. Even simply for record/pause. And while I could shoehorn the camera in there, I'm sure the gimbal would be out of balance. I know from my Letus Helix, having an out of balance gimbal is not ideal for a variety of reasons - so even with the A7SII in there I would likely be limited to the use of only one or two lenses due to weight, and from the looks of things I would not be able to re-balance the gimbal to set things straight..

So I am posting here because I have asked many online drone retailers about this and I get nowhere. Nobody seems to know here.

Is there a way to get an A7SII or RII on the Tornado H920 Plus, properly? It seems like my next drone, I'd just love it to have the best image quality/dynamic range/low light performance/stills resolution that is possible without going the DJI route.

Wow I just got a response to this question from a Yuneec dealer rep, via an award winning online drone retailer. The rep's answer is no, there is no system in place to mount a Sony AII series camera to a Yuneec Tornado H920. He then followed that answer with disheartening advice - "you should just go with the M600 or the Alta 6".

Question answered. Bummer

yea, it seems the H920+ is stepping away from Pro and more into a larger Typhoon H, non pro. It really is a great platform, if they would just build some gimbals for it! Unfortunately, those other two platforms are pretty spendy

It's interesting the difference in the two cameras, A7S vs A7SII. The II is 138 grams heavier, two millimeters taller and exactly as wide. 1/3lb is a difference but it's not night and day. The greater difference in size is the depth. The 7sII is 12mm "thicker". What's also very different is the placement of the threaded tripod mounting hole. On the 7sII it's farther back from the front of the body compared to the older model. Considering the difference in depth, maybe these holes are where they are for a reason. Center of gravity perhaps? Either way I can see how the GB603 might have to be modified - move the mounting hole back so the face of the camera can fit in the front of the cradle, and possibly find some room up top for those extra 2mm in height. All in all it seems very doable, and balanceable, when viewed in theory.

The A7SII would be heavier, cutting down on flight time obviously but that's acceptable considering the 3 batteries of the H920 give longer than average flight time to begin with. So all together I am open to trying it. What I would like to confirm is electronics, which I have zero abilities with. What control is there between the A7S/GB603 presently? It's amazing how scarce info on this is. I appreciate the thought Yuneec puts into the single flyer/camera controller idea, and I love that the plus now has many of the features the Typhoon H does (I still don't have realsense on mine because I'm planning to move up, but I love the option even though it's not on the Tornado).

Yea it's like the original idea in 2015 to use the Sony cameras with the Tornado has very quietly been abandoned.

I hope they come up with a new camera options. Would be really cool if they came up with a quick connector adapter for the CGO4 gimbal. Its a bit of a pain to switch between Action Pro and the H920

I agree, mounting/removing the CGO4 is not super easy. I wonder how many on/off operations the gimbal mounting plate screw threads can survive. Long term owners say it has not been an issue.
However, I really like the image quality the CGO4/GH4 produces.
The E50 camera specs list H920+ compatibility. The rumors about the E90 camera are intriguing.
Keep developing Yuneec.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval