Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Had a Real INTERESTING Time Flying Outside in IPS Mode.

Reaction score
Had a real nervous time today... I have to shoot a inside video, in a large cabinet factory/warehouse. So I wanted to do some testing in IPS mode. I actually put it in IPS mode outside to get a idea of how it reacts in IPS mode. Now maybe someone can lend some more insight as to the tech behind IPS mode? I basically had a "fly-away" situation and major issues controlling the H once in the air. At one point the H was out about almost a mile before I had managed to get it back to me, but without the GPS control, having to compensate the drift with the unit is a MAJOR pain in the a$$. Also having it in turtle mode DOES make it much harder to compensate that drift and taking it out of turtle can just make drift worse! Catch-22. Does anyone know if you can take it out of IPS mode while in flight? I tried everything...Home mode...NOTHING worked. I even rebooted the controller while in flight. Eventually I got it back and down and it crashed into a small magnolia in the front yard. One broken prop. Any experiences like this from anyone? Thanks!

I've actually watched this before, but more of it makes much more sense now that I've experienced the IPS mode today!

Hello @Fingerlakes just to add to your questioning from before, from my experience I can tell you, If you enter IPS manually there's no way to get out of IPS mode other than rebooting the aircraft itself.

SInce the IPS is optically based it depends majorly on what it can "see" below to know if its moving or not and react accordingly in order to hold position (for example a tiled floor will be great while a smooth floor will not allow for the IPS to work correctly)

Also the IPS works up to 10 meters, going above that the IPS wont try to hold position.

IPS does work to some extent, but you definitely need to be ready for any undesired "drift" which will require manual correction while flying in this mode.

Good luck, please let us know how everything goes!

Greetings!

Since you did your trial outside and were consumed by the drift correction best realize that inside (where you want to fly IPS) there is no wind. Drift will be 90% provoked by wind, as light as it might seem at the moment of take off.

:)

Make sure that your accelerometer is calibrated correctly. If not, with the GPS off, the H will drift toward what it "thinks" is level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop