Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Happy to have found this incredible forum!

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that I have been flying the Typhoon H for almost two and a half years and never known of this forum. It is exciting to see so many others that enjoy flying the Typhoon H. I recently purchased my third Typhoon H and and am experiencing something not seen before. When shooting video, the ST-16 screen shows no signs of the video studdering or refresh rate lagging. Moving objects move smoothly through the video. Different story when I view the video afterwards on either the ST-16 or my Surface Pro. The video intermittently studders rendering the video to be useless. Moving objects do not move smoothly but instead show trailing signs of itself. Any ideas on what may be causing the problem? Is it just a faulty camera or are there settings that may need to be tweaked?

It's hard to believe that I have been flying the Typhoon H for almost two and a half years and never known of this forum. It is exciting to see so many others that enjoy flying the Typhoon H. I recently purchased my third Typhoon H and and am experiencing something not seen before. When shooting video, the ST-16 screen shows no signs of the video studdering or refresh rate lagging. Moving objects move smoothly through the video. Different story when I view the video afterwards on either the ST-16 or my Surface Pro. The video intermittently studders rendering the video to be useless. Moving objects do not move smoothly but instead show trailing signs of itself. Any ideas on what may be causing the problem? Is it just a faulty camera or are there settings that may need to be tweaked?

hi Souperman!

First... welcome to the forum! You have been missing out these past 2 plus years!

Second... here is what likely will be a summary of the responses you might likely receive:

1. Are you using the same technique as with your other H480s?
  2. Are you viewing the video stored in the ST16 from each flight, or...
  3. Are you viewing the video files stored to the camera memory card?
  4. Are you viewing your video files directly from the camera memory card, or...
  5. Do you copy the files from the camera memory card to your Surface Pro then play from your surface pro "hard drive"?
  6. Is the memory card in your third ship the same class as your previous Hs?
Some reminders, just in case:
  • The video stored in your ST16 from the flights is what was transmitted from the camera to the controller.
  • It is not the same quality was what was recorded by the camera to the camera memory card.
  • Any transmission errors may show up in the ST16 version, even if you may not have noticed them during the flight.
That should get you (and us) started on trying to figure out what may be at play here.

Jeff

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Your questions spurred a lot of thought. While figuring out the answers to some of your questions, I learned that the videos I shot have either been recorded on the ST-16 internal memory (and not to the SD card in it) or into the SD card in the Typhoon H camera. I'm not sure why it records to one location versus the other. The videos that recorded to the internal ST-16 memory are the ones where the video hiccups and studders. The video recorded on the camera's SD card is as good as gold. How do I know where the video will ultimately record to? I would think that all videos would by default record to both locations. Does the quality of the SD card play a factor in all this?

Also, is the only function of the SD card in the ST-16 to transfer videos and/or pictures from the ST-16 to other devices?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and input to figuring these challenges out. I'm finding out that it is much, much easier to just fly the drone than trying to figure out how the video works on my own. That being said, it is also a lot more gratifying to be able to shoot and enjoy some pretty cool videos and pictures. Thanks again!

If you have an SD card in the camera, it will record to that SD card, as well as the internal memory of the ST-16. But since the resolution of the ST-16 is only 720p, that is all you will have on the ST-16... they are only stored there to act as a review copy. Your full resolution videos and photos will be on the SD card you insert in the camera.

The SD slot on the ST-16 is also for the purpose of upgrading FW, but it is unlikely that you do not have the most updated FW, with a bird of that age.

The firmware was updated sometime over the last 2 weeks ago by the guy I purchased it from. That makes sense that the ST-16 resolution is at 720p but it should still be clear. Does that mean there is a problem with the ST-16 controller since the picture quality is bad upon review of video? If so, I should get a hold of Yuneec and get the controller replaced.

Try binding the new bird to one of your older ST-16's, to see if the problem is specific to that new controller. And yes, BTW welcome to the fray... ;)

The firmware was updated sometime over the last 2 weeks ago by the guy I purchased it from. That makes sense that the ST-16 resolution is at 720p but it should still be clear. Does that mean there is a problem with the ST-16 controller since the picture quality is bad upon review of video? If so, I should get a hold of Yuneec and get the controller replaced.

Remember, the video in the ST16 is the "transmitted video" from the camera. It is susceptible to any signal drops, inteference, et al, even if you don't happen to catch it as it happens. Hopefully you are watching the H much more than looking at the screen. Also, it is automatic that the ST16 records the incoming video.

The SD card in the camera will ONLY record if you remember to press the video start button! That's why you may not always see the video contained in the camera SD card.

Jeff

Welcome,let's enjoy the fly!

Prior to binding a second controller to the camera, I took a closer look at the SD card inserted into the ST-16 controller. When I purchased the drone, I mistakenly assumed the SD card in the controller was the right SD card for use in recording videos. I was wrong. The SD card was a category 1 instead of the required category 3. Once I changed it out with the right category SD card, I recorded some video only to find that there was no more studders in video quality.

Thanks again to all for your help! I hope to be able to help others in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my