Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone else seen this review?

Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone else has seen this video from Drone U?
Seems Rob's comments are solely base on Pix4D's data upload with the 520.
I own 2 H520's yet I'm far from an expert. I have learned more from this site than anywhere else that's why I'm looking for a rebuttal, (if there is one).

Reactions: Koala
After watching the video I feel the need to call BS on their data collection and final results. There’s no way either a Phantom or a 520 can obtain sub centimeter accuracy. Even 2cm is unlikely with the technology in play for the testing. They are both adequate for generalized mapping but not precision instruments, regardless of the data processing methods used.

Is a global shutter better than a rolling shutter? Any rube should be able to figure that out and the addition of a global shutter for the Phantom is a very new thing. The P4 Pro. Then again, anyone serious about photogrammetry and wanting to provide the best product possible to the customer, and receive decent compensation in the process, would not use either platform as neither has the capability of generating ultra accurate results. Megapixel count for either camera is too low for high levels of accuracy. The good stuff starts at 30+ megapixel and uses a global shutter. Both are essentially “training” platforms for gaining experience before moving on to truly professional equipment.

Another troubling item is they viewed both platforms as being the same before going out to shoot comparisons. They didn’t bother to fully research the performance stats before initiating the contest, which leaves all of their end results open to question. You don’t perform comparison testing until after the baseline information is collected and understood.

Last edited:
They also didn’t publish the test plan and lacking that there’s no valid data collection methodology. The P4 is a better platform in some things but what you give up to have them, freedom of ownership and data privacy, can be hard to accept.

Reactions: FranoKaaf
I like Drone U but that guy on the right gets on my nerves. Condescending, rude, and fails to realise that hes speaking to a varied customer base who are likely all new pilots/owners etc. Rather than being spoken down to like a kid he needs to be more compassionate of the needs and objectives of his customers. Bragging about charging thousands of $ for jobs and bragging about massive contracts and secret jobs and clients isnt something people want to pay to hear.

Reactions: 10-8
I heard him to complain, that the 520 only provided JPGs and couldn't do RAW. Knowing that the H does DNG format, I looked up the 520 manual and sure enough, it said it did them too. I sort of shut down on his complaints after that because either the manual is wrong, or he didn't try to learn enough about the controller to even look in the menus. Rob mentioned the security issue, but he sort of blew it off. I see a lot of H reviews with incorrect information in them too. For some reason, probably laziness, the same incorrect information spreads like a virus. Yuneec's product manager, if they still have one, should monitor major forums and Youtube and try to offer corrections to obviously wrong information.

I heard him to complain, that the 520 only provided JPGs and couldn't do RAW. Knowing that the H does DNG format, I looked up the 520 manual and sure enough, it said it did them too. I sort of shut down on his complaints after that because either the manual is wrong, or he didn't try to learn enough about the controller to even look in the menus. Rob mentioned the security issue, but he sort of blew it off. I see a lot of H reviews with incorrect information in them too. For some reason, probably laziness, the same incorrect information spreads like a virus. Yuneec's product manager, if they still have one, should monitor major forums and Youtube and try to offer corrections to obviously wrong information.

I think we would be happy if they would simply give us information, of any kind, from the manager or any other person in charge of Yuneec. Even more if they told us after having the eronave 9 months that they are going to put the missing features to be able to develop the activities that were announced before the aircraft was put on sale. I think this is more important and urgent that they worry about what users put on the forums, even more so when they think that many things are negative because of the lack of precisely these functionalities. The feeling that despite the negative criticisms apparently not enough is being done to make up for the lack of the H520 is very worrying.

It's very difficult to control what people who don't bother to read the manual say, as you say very well. :cool:

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I think we would be happy if they would simply give us information, of any kind, from the manager or any other person in charge of Yuneec. Even more if they told us after having the eronave 9 months that they are going to put the missing features to be able to develop the activities that were announced before the aircraft was put on sale. I think this is more important and urgent that they worry about what users put on the forums, even more so when they think that many things are negative because of the lack of precisely these functionalities. The feeling that despite the negative criticisms apparently not enough is being done to make up for the lack of the H520 is very worrying.

It's very difficult to control what people who don't bother to read the manual say, as you say very well. :cool:
Can't argue with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin