Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone tried using RainX or equiv when flying in snow or mist or such on filter or lens (or complete drone for that matter) ?

Reaction score
these work great on a car windshield while they last (a few months+) and was wondering if it had been tried on the UV or other filters (or on surface of bare lens) ?

another thread a guy has pics of snowy scene w/ snowflake drops on lens, was wondering if this stuff may help.

btw, it also seemed to make getting bugs and such off windshield easier too (it is a slicker coating and fills in voids in glass so makes sense imo), and can use on headlights and such, seemed safe for plastics or glass.

Only one I've seen, but no one on this board has actually tested it out to see if the claims made are realistically achievable.

Yeah, that might look like an impressive test, but actually there are warning / error lights on several occasions during that footage, and I am a long way from convinced about the long-term reliability of any such water-proofing. There's also the open back of the camera to worry about, and you can't block any of those holes which are very necessary for ventilation. Nope - I'd say if you want to fly in the rain get something designed to do so, like a SwellPro or similar...

Thx, have seen that.

I was mostly talking about the camera, to keep it clear of droplets.

have you used rainx or equiv, it is great on windshields, side glass, etc.

of course developed for the USA military first for fighter jets mostly to keep moisture from blocking view, works same for car.

above a low speed the rain even hard just sheets away and can see fine no wiper needed, was wondering if drones go fast enuf to keep lens clear of droplets.

If you use it don’t ever put it on the lens itself. You will never get it off of the lens. Not sure how it would react with the multi-coating on the lens either. A camera is only as good as the lens it sees through and replacing the lens on these cameras is not cheap nor easy. I’ve been into photography for 50 years and you don’t mess with your lenses!!!

If you use it don’t ever put it on the lens itself. You will never get it off of the lens. Not sure how it would react with the multi-coating on the lens either. A camera is only as good as the lens it sees through and replacing the lens on these cameras is not cheap nor easy. I’ve been into photography for 50 years and you don’t mess with your lenses!!!

Agreed, but having said that, of all the places I am worried about water getting into, the lens isn't one of them all the time it is behind the UV filter which fits pretty snuggly in there and should stop water getting as far as the lens ? Do you think it would be alright to apply it to the UV filter or ND filters, or do you think it might react with them too ?

You could try it on them as a filter is cheaper than a lens. I’m not sure what effect it may have on a circular polarizing filter. Use it very, very, very sparingly. It takes a lot of polishing out to be completely free of streaks. I used it on my van camper years ago. It was easier to drive in the rain with the wipers off than with them on. The wipers would leave streaks as they moved. With them off the rain would just slide right off the windshield. The slower you move the less effective the RainX becomes though.

Edit: One other thing I remembered after going to breakfast with my golf buddies this morning. RainX doesn’t work well in the cold weather, so not good when the glass is cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
these work great on a car windshield while they last (a few months+) and was wondering if it had been tried on the UV or other filters (or on surface of bare lens) ?

another thread a guy has pics of snowy scene w/ snowflake drops on lens, was wondering if this stuff may help.

btw, it also seemed to make getting bugs and such off windshield easier too (it is a slicker coating and fills in voids in glass so makes sense imo), and can use on headlights and such, seemed safe for plastics or glass.
There is new technology out there it's nanotechnology that you wipe on metal glass anything and it makes water to speed up and run off

I have seen something that was hydro-phobic, ie it actually PUSHED/repelled away water, not from slickness but as if it hated it, not like rainX which just sheets it away, this might have been nanotech, very odd stuff.

On the downside is we are polluting the world w/ nano particles, into the oceans, bodies of water all over, some think it will come back and haunt us in an ugly way.

afaik, i have never used nano-tech or nano-particles in particular but then would anyone unless labeled as such ?

thanks for the reminder.

I have used RainX on my Canon L lenses with no issues for when I'm photographing storms. Was thinking about doing the same to my C23s lenses themself but may do it on a UV lens filter instead of the camera's lens.

I have used RainX on my Canon L lenses with no issues for when I'm photographing storms. Was thinking about doing the same to my C23s lenses themself but may do it on a UV lens filter instead of the camera's lens.

So you used RainX on the actual multicoated lens element with no ill effects?

What procedure did you use to apply it and buff it out?

Did you use it on any other part of the lens body to help shed moisture?

Reactions: thoneter
Yeah, that might look like an impressive test, but actually there are warning / error lights on several occasions during that footage, and I am a long way from convinced about the long-term reliability of any such water-proofing. There's also the open back of the camera to worry about, and you can't block any of those holes which are very necessary for ventilation. Nope - I'd say if you want to fly in the rain get something designed to do so, like a SwellPro or similar...
I've purchased the barrier coating and will apply it to save my electronic components in case they decide to get a large drink of H2O. It does work as it keeps the components from shorting out when submerged.

So you used RainX on the actual multicoated lens element with no ill effects?

What procedure did you use to apply it and buff it out?

Did you use it on any other part of the lens body to help shed moisture?

I've had it on my 17-40L for 6 years with no issues along with my Rokinon 14MM, Tamron and nifty 50L. No issues either with my Nikon lenses, the backup camera on my truck and my Sony AX-53 4K Video Camera.

so you were able to coat and smooth it and no optical issues or more or less sensitive to sun reflections ? iow, only positive results ??

do you only use on the objective end or both ends ?

I have about 8 lens for my canon cams and have not ever thought to use it, even though i do use at the ocean often, will consider it now, but also may help reduce stuff from sticking to lens surface.

I've had it on my 17-40L for 6 years with no issues along with my Rokinon 14MM, Tamron and nifty 50L. No issues either with my Nikon lenses, the backup camera on my truck and my Sony AX-53 4K Video Camera.

so you were able to coat and smooth it and no optical issues or more or less sensitive to sun reflections ? iow, only positive results ??

do you only use on the objective end or both ends ?

I have about 8 lens for my canon cams and have not ever thought to use it, even though i do use at the ocean often, will consider it now, but also may help reduce stuff from sticking to lens surface.

I use it mainly because I shoot timelapse films of storms. It was applied directly to the optics very lightly and then buffed out by hand with a clean microfiber cloth. No loss of quality on the photos because of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone