Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Help choosing my Yuneec drone?

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I am pretty new in the drone business, and I am pretty close to bying my first drone, and I have been looking a lot at Yuneec drones. More concrete have I been looking at the Yuneec Typhoon G, where I can connect my GoPro, which I am already using, when I am on vacations :)

BUT, before I go out and spend a lot of money, I would just really like to hear all of you, if you also think that would be a good solution for me? I like to go out and make some nice nature videos :)

Is there another kamera drone, I should consider instead?

The Typhoon G has been discontinued. You will only be able to find a used one, or if lucky, old stock on one. Yuneec doesn't have a camera drone that takes the Gopro anymore. I bought the Q500 4K and have been very impressed so far. Easy to fly and great video. Pictures are only 12 Mega Pixels though. I am unaware of any current drones besides the karma, that take a GoPro.

Good luck with your quest.

My First quad used a GoPro, and while it took good photos and video for the day, the lack of control-ability of the camera from the transmitter, was one of the downsides. Having the ability to fly and shoot exactly what and when you want, eliminates having to look through long video clips or hundreds of photos to find the right one. If I were new to quads today, I would almost certainly look at the Typhoon 4K as being the best choice.

I have a Typhoon G for sale on eBay. Completely new. Never used.
I have had a spare Typhoon G in the closet for about a year and a half.

Did not even think about it until a dumped my primary Typhoon G into the lake a few days ago.

My main beat up Typhoon G ended up in a lake. The Hero4 cam in in the lake too.

I could be convinced to sell a brand new Typhoon G.

This is brand new in the shipping box. Inside the shipping box is the Yuneec box. Factory sealed.
I never ever even opened the outer shipping box. It is sealed with Yuneec tape too.

Just buy it now.
Yuneec Typhoon G Drone and all accessories. Brand NEW in the box.

The Typhoon G is a good flier.
You just gotta get used to it like anything.
Take it out away from trees and get the hang of it.

I crashed my old Typhoon G about 6 times. Then got the hang of it.
and never crashed it again.

Well I guess dumping it into a lake is crashing it.
But i had an old battery in it I think.

I did not do enough pre-flight to make sure things were OK.
Otherwise I would have never had it die over the lake.

here is my last video with the Typhoon G. And this was the Typhoon G which had crashed 6 times and was
all beat up.
With a Hero4

As much as I like Carmel, the beach, the valley, and enjoy watching videos from a Typhoon, this video made me cringe.
I don't think I'd promote this protocol...

That video was a perfect example of when and where not to fly a multirotor.

As for the question from the OP, before making a decision, consider what you want to do with a multirotor. Do you need or want full control of the camera? Plan on doing any commercial work? Intend to advance your skills and abilities in video creativity? If any of those are answered with a yes, consider moving to something that uses a camera other than a Go Pro. Go Pro's have their uses for sure, but IMO those are more applicable to those directly involved in action sports. The company (Go Pro) is on the rocks so think about what you might need to do for parts and service if the company goes down the tubes. The day of the Go Pro is pretty much over. Garmin actually makes a better camera for such purposes now.

I like my H quite a lot. It doesn't do everything that is possible with a drone but I don't need or want to do everything. It does all that I need it to, and does those things well.

Another reason to avoid the GoPro is it's extreme fisheye distortion. Notice the curved horizon when viewing any image where the horizon is not in the center of the view. Since it is not such a wide angle lens, the Typhoon H camera does a good job of avoiding fisheye.

Another reason to avoid the GoPro is it's extreme fisheye distortion. Notice the curved horizon when viewing any image where the horizon is not in the center of the view. Since it is not such a wide angle lens, the Typhoon H camera does a good job of avoiding fisheye.
Most half decent video editors include a tool that will rectify fish-eye. I also use a Phantom 2 Vision Plus that produces fish-eye in it's video and when I find it necessary I use an application called ProDrenalin to sort it out. The down side of that, though, is that once you have sorted the fish-eye out you are left with footage of a lesser quality than the original. Far better not to have fish-eye in the first instance and the footage that my H produces is such that I don't feel a need to correct for fish-eye...it's good enough.

FV, agree about the loss of quality when correcting for fish-eye in post.
Some videos that I've seen from the TH have a curved horizon. Then I find out that the TH has been delivered with either a 115-deg or 98-deg lens. Mine must be the 98-deg version because the horizon is always straight. 115-deg produces too much distortion for my liking.

Only a few of the original H deliveries came with the wider lens. That was quickly caught and corrected.

I actually love the fisheye. A little reality distortion is OK.
This is California after all.

I find the Hero5 in 4K mode is quite crisp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco