Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Help .... Fire Fire Fire !!!!

Fau

Reaction score
Hello everybody, i need somebody help me, I have a Typhoon Q500, and I got weak battery, I bought a new battery and when I plugged I have noticed a white smoke coming out from that part demarcated on the Main Control Unit & Flight Control Board (YUNQ500109). I would like to know what this exact component , also if it would be possible to change this component. thank you

mainboard.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what part that is but smoke is not good. Something has burned out on the board. Is it under warranty?

Reactions: Fau
If you can identify the IC, if it is not a special manufacture for Yuneec, locate the IC and purchase it, you might be able to solder it on. If someone who has theirs open could post a picture ot the writing on the top of the IC, you can go to a component dealer to see if they can order it. Pay close attention to the orientation of the IC. You do not want to solder it in upside down as this would put a ground in the wrong place and, once again, let out the magic smoke (all electronics run on magic smoke. If you let the smoke out the electronics die). Use solder wick to clean to the contacts when you remove the damaged chip. Too much heat will lift the pad, so be cautious. This is going to be fine soldering, make certain you have a fine clean soldering tip and a steady hand. Watch for solder bridges between pins. To solder a pin should take no more that 10 seconds per pin. Any longer and your tip is not hot enough. The solder should flow around and suck into the joint.

Sorry to be long winded, but these are important point when soldering.

In the end, it might be a lot easier to replace the board. I replaced the main board in a SYMA X8W. Cost me $15.

Good luck and if I can be of help, let me know. I am a bored retired tech. Challenges make life interesting.

Looking at the picture, check the component right above the IC. In the picture, it looks a little burnt as well. I may be wrong, but checking doesn't hurt.

If you can identify the IC, if it is not a special manufacture for Yuneec, locate the IC and purchase it, you might be able to solder it on. If someone who has theirs open could post a picture ot the writing on the top of the IC, you can go to a component dealer to see if they can order it. Pay close attention to the orientation of the IC. You do not want to solder it in upside down as this would put a ground in the wrong place and, once again, let out the magic smoke (all electronics run on magic smoke. If you let the smoke out the electronics die). Use solder wick to clean to the contacts when you remove the damaged chip. Too much heat will lift the pad, so be cautious. This is going to be fine soldering, make certain you have a fine clean soldering tip and a steady hand. Watch for solder bridges between pins. To solder a pin should take no more that 10 seconds per pin. Any longer and your tip is not hot enough. The solder should flow around and suck into the joint.

Sorry to be long winded, but these are important point when soldering.

In the end, it might be a lot easier to replace the board. I replaced the main board in a SYMA X8W. Cost me $15.

Good luck and if I can be of help, let me know. I am a bored retired tech. Challenges make life interesting.

Thank you very much in did ChuckBridges, i do not know nothing about eletronic, i guess IC would be a serial number or identification number or something like that, do i have to take out the component for to find the IC ? if i can buy the component i will give to someone who knows to solder that for me... ChuckBridges I am not sure what exactely you said about that SYMA X8W , can i use that board instead of the original board on my Yuneec typhoon ? if yes where can i buy that ? I am brazilian and somtimes they dont ship that to brazil....

Thank you very much in did ChuckBridges, i do not know nothing about eletronic, i guess IC would be a serial number or identification number or something like that, do i have to take out the component for to find the IC ? if i can buy the component i will give to someone who knows to solder that for me... ChuckBridges I am not sure what exactely you said about that SYMA X8W , can i use that board instead of the original board on my Yuneec typhoon ? if yes where can i buy that ? I am brazilian and somtimes they dont ship that to brazil....
Can you buy on eBay?? Otherwise, several dealers can sell the Q500 main board. It's about $160 USD.

Actually, IC stands for Integrated Circuit. Basically, a more correct name for the chip. The number on top of the IC tells you what it is. I noticed that the large IC to the right has the top scratched off. Some manufacturers do this so you cannot replace components. Steve is right. EBay is your friend here. You cannot use the board I purchased for the SYMA. It would be less than adequate for a Yuneec. You need the exact replacement board. They sell for approx $215 Canadian (Approx $541 Brazil). I don't know if this is something you wish to purchase, but a quick search on EBay brought up 3. There is also a complete replacement drone (Just the drone) on sale there for $369.63 ($898.41 Brazil). This is more expensive, but if finding parts is a problem where you are, this would provide you with your bird as a parts bird. Motors, landing gear, wiring and frame spare.

Good luck with your rebuild. I wish I could help more, but I am in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fau
Actually, IC stands for Integrated Circuit. Basically, a more correct name for the chip. The number on top of the IC tells you what it is. I noticed that the large IC to the right has the top scratched off. Some manufacturers do this so you cannot replace components. Steve is right. EBay is your friend here. You cannot use the board I purchased for the SYMA. It would be less than adequate for a Yuneec. You need the exact replacement board. They sell for approx $215 Canadian (Approx $541 Brazil). I don't know if this is something you wish to purchase, but a quick search on EBay brought up 3. There is also a complete replacement drone (Just the drone) on sale there for $369.63 ($898.41 Brazil). This is more expensive, but if finding parts is a problem where you are, this would provide you with your bird as a parts bird. Motors, landing gear, wiring and frame spare.

Good luck with your rebuild. I wish I could help more, but I am in Canada.

Thank you very much ChurchBridges

The IC with the red rectangle is a TPS54328 step-down converter. It makes 5V out of LiPo voltage.
The two black parts on top, where one also looks burnt, are two MOSFETS MDU3603 in parallel to switch on power supply, triggered by the little knob below the Q500.
Also the capacitor above the TPS54328 is burnt. It is 22microF Tantal (226).

But there must be a reason why it was burnt. Maybe ther is more defective.

br HE

Last edited:
There is a larger more difficult to replace IC that has the top cratered on it. it is higher up and to the right of the capacitor that has smoked. If I were you I would send it in to Yuneec for repair. Unless you have had training to deal with Surface Mount Technology your chances for success is pretty slim to none. Replacing the burnt parts is only a small portion of the repair. You have to trouble shoot as to what actually caused the failure in the first place.
You could spend a lot of time replacing all of the damaged parts only to have them smoke out when you turn it on for the first time.
I would suggest that you send it in.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    479.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Subtle Shots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech