Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

HELP! REBUILT Q500 4K IS NOW UNCONTROLLABLE

Reaction score
HI....I RECENTLY TRANSFERRED ALL OF MY Q500 4K GUTS OVER TO A TAROT IRONMAN 650 FRAME AFTER A PRETTY BAD CRASH...I HAD TO BUY A NEW MOTHERBOARD AS WELL AND PUT EVERYTHING EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS AND EVERYTHING WAS READING OK IN THE GUI PROGRAM...SO WHEN I TAKE OFF, AS SOON AS I GIVE IT ANY KIND OF INPUT, IT SEEMS TO START DRIFTING OFF SIDEWAYS AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO WITH THE CONTROLS IT STILL HEADS IN THE SAME DIRECTION UNTIL IT HITS THE GROUND OR WHATEVER IT RUNS INTO FIRST. LUCKILY I NEVER HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GET IT FAR ENOUGH UP OFF THE GROUND TO JUST FLY OFF. I TRIED TO RECALIBRATE THE COMPASS AND ACCELEROMETER BUT IT DIDNT WORK. I WENT THROUGH ESC ASSIGNMENT, TESTED EACH MOTOR AND EVERYTHING SAID IT WAS OK, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Start by checking the sticks on the ST10 in Hardware Monitor. They should go full scale, react quickly, move smoothly and should return to exactly zero.
Did all the telemetry on the ST10 look normal? Number of satellites? Distance between the Q and the ST10?

Start by checking the sticks on the ST10 in Hardware Monitor. They should go full scale, react quickly, move smoothly and should return to exactly zero.
Did all the telemetry on the ST10 look normal? Number of satellites? Distance between the Q and the ST10?
You know, to tell you the truth im not sure how many satellites their should be. All i really do is wait for the tx to say its ok to fly and as far as the distance goes, i didnt have enough time to even check once i was flying. Should i check accuracy of distance before i take off? Btw, the hardware monitor says everything is perfect.

You should have around 13 satellites on the Q and around 8 on the ST10 before you launch.
Since you were unable to get a compass and accelerometer calibration that would raise a big red flag. Did you try to do the accelerometer cal with the GUI?
Connect it up again and see what the xyz axis is doing. How does it respond to pitch and roll. Can you get close to zero by tilting the aircraft? Also, I'm curious if the location or orientation of the compass is preventing it from calibrating.

You should have around 13 satellites on the Q and around 8 on the ST10 before you launch.
Since you were unable to get a compass and accelerometer calibration that would raise a big red flag. Did you try to do the accelerometer cal with the GUI?
Connect it up again and see what the xyz axis is doing. How does it respond to pitch and roll. Can you get close to zero by tilting the aircraft? Also, I'm curious if the location or orientation of the compass is preventing it from calibrating.
sorry...what i meant was i calibrated it succesfully but neither seemed to address the problem. I connected it and checked the axis readings and they seem to react normally so im going to try to mount the compass farther away from components because when it was in the original shell, it was mounted far in the nose area so you could be right.

One of the biggest problems with the aftermarket CF frame that were made for the Q500 was placement of the compass and shielding of the GPS unit. The two main companies ( RAKONHELI Q500 FRAME & ZEALHELI YUNEEC Q500) had a couple of revisions as to where the compass should go. One of them ended up 3D printing a holder that attached to the landing legs and that work best.

Mine would fly great for 3 or 4 minutes and then go nuts. A compass does not like Carbon Fiber :)

https://www.rakonheli.com/cnc-delrin-compass-sensor-mount-yuneec-q500.html

cnc_delrin_compass_sensor_mount-yuneec_q500-50qyn568-3.png

FIXED!!! it looks like the compass was placed too close to everything else. At first, i mounted it kinda close to the other components so i placed it at the end of a thin plank of light plastic that protrudes straight out kinda how the nose is configured on the original shell. i made sure it was facing the exact same way it used to and took it out as far as the cable would allow. It now flies flawlessly! Let me tell you that spending a few bucks on a carbon frame paid for itself the first few flights i had because the crashes i endured would have EASILY cracked or broken the original plastic shell and i'd be right where i started all over again. I paid $69 online for the Tarot Ironman 650. That's a $10 difference from the replacement body so its DEFINATELY worth it in my opinion. when i crashed all it did was fold the arms in but they snapped right back in place so I'm happy. Thanx guys for your help!

Reactions: Steve Carr
Yup I new that was the problem, been there done it sort of thing :)
Glad its working now.

Reactions: TheChiefUSN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430