Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Here we go again? FAA

Reaction score
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on January 13, 2020, will launch improvements to the way it tests all applicants for an FAA airman certificate for all certificated pilots (including drone pilots).
One of the most important changes is the requirement that all applicants obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN) by creating an Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) profile prior to registering for a knowledge test.
  • The FTN allows the applicant and any certifying officer the ability to pull up airman information in a consistent format, leaving little room for errors associated with an applicant’s name. Previously, name inconsistencies could lead to returned files and lengthy delays in the certification process.
  • IACRA is the web-based certification/rating application that guides the user through the FAA's airman application process.
The FAA will host four webinars beginning next week to explain the new testing system, including the FTN requirement. Please select one of the dates below to register for a Webinar.
For more information about the new testing system, please visit Airman Certificate Testing Service (ACTS).

It’s not that big a deal. Anyone that has obtained s new license or rating in the last 5 years or so has been using the IACRA system. I have a hunch recreational flyers might soon find themselves having to interact with the system, which will be the source of a lot of angry people.

It’s not that big a deal. Anyone that has obtained s new license or rating in the last 5 years or so has been using the IACRA system. I have a hunch recreational flyers might soon find themselves having to interact with the system, which will be the source of a lot of angry people.
That's what I took away from this also. They want anyone who flies to come under one umbrella and make the recreational fliers responsible for their actions.

Oh, I don’t know....I don’t see the FAA wanting to take on the sheer volume of users by bringing in Recreational Users. They already have a registration scheme in Drone Zone.....hammering the IACRA just doesn’t seem necessary.

I haven’t really looked at this, but isn’t the big change that you have to register in IACRA first, then take the exam.... where before you could register after the exam......I didn’t do it that way; I got registered and setup first, then took the exam.

I have heard that since the recreational test will not result in an airman's certificate that recreational will not be part of this process. But only the FAA knows for sure.

But agree, this is no big deal. Ham radio has had it for a very long time. They call it a FTN. Same thing, just makes database management easier.

As the FAA initiated a major overhaul of the various training syllabus a few years ago, and introduced the IACRA registration process not long after, I just see this as a natural progression to introduce a standardized process. Typical of government and military, where doing anything that does not follow a list of pre-established conditions is prohibited, neither the troops or the employees can get anything done that does not follow an established format as they are not permitted independent thought. It also makes it real easy to lighten the workload as any filing that misses a step can be rejected.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval