Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hi & An Incredibly Basic Typhoon H Pro/Real Sense Question

Reaction score
Hi, folks. I'm CC Rider from coastal Delaware, down here in the tidewater area between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay. Very new to your forum. Seems to be a lot of knowledge out there among all of you. Being willing to share it is a plus for a guy like me just coming onto the scene.

I have a real newbie question for you: with the H Pro, is the Real Sense Module automatically engaged or do I have to turn it on? I've only unboxed my drone and done the most basic preparations on it, haven't even calibrated the compass yet. But I sure do like what I see. Been waiting for a break in the weather to calibrate it and take it up, which seems to be coming Wednesday, and I want to be ready. Thanks in advance.

Yes you have to turn it on, using the OA switch.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT TURNED OFF DURING TAKE OFF!!!!

It is the cause of most "Fly Aways", you need to be 10 feet off the ground and with legs up for it to work also 26 feet from the controller.

If you are not 26 feet from the controller it will fly away backwards and hit anything behind it.

Reactions: Birk
Gotcha. So glad I asked. Thanks for the insight into how it operates and how to avoid a dreaded fly away. I can't imagine watching anything worse than that happening to this machine. I've watched most of the videos that are out there about this drone, read everything I could get my hands on, etc., and there still always seems to be little kernels of information to be gathered about it. Been playing around with the UAV Pilot simulator, too, but I'm sure that's still nothing like flying the real thing. I'll find out in a couple of days. Thanks, again, for your quick response.

Also make sure your firmware is the latest, they added a feature that if you lose 2.4 ghz control it will use the 5 ghz signal.

Reactions: Birk
I updated my firmware last week and installed it in the Typhoon and the ST16. That seems to be a good redundancy to include in an update, having a backup communication system to the drone. I looked around and researched a lot before I made a purchase, and it seems to be a fine machine. But I am wary of the little things that end up being things that I don't know about, like the OA switch and initiating the procedure you outlined.

As long as you are in an open space and always check that OA is off and you are in Angle mode for take off you will find it is a great machine to fly. Spend some time in Angle mode before trying the other settings. It gives you a chance to get familiar with the unit and terms used. Also when learning get above the highest tree near you!

Very good advice! I've seen too many times that trees and drones just don't mix. I have the perfect field to use for my first flight that is open, flat, about 1 mile x 3/4 mile, but ringed in the distance by trees of different heights. So if I don't go too crazy and restrain myself I should be in a fairly safe flying environment without anything on the ground nearby to worry about. I'll even feel safe to try some higher elevations and maneuvers to whatever degree I can manage them. It seems important not to rely on the Smart Mode, like it will cripple ones ability to truly learn how to fly this machine. Guess it's good to have if you run into trouble up there, though. Wish me luck and learning!!

Also, make sure you go into the settings on the ST16 and make sure RealSense is enabled. If it isn't, turning on the OA switch will only engage the ultrasonic sensors. I found that after the last firmware update, I had to re-enable RealSense in the settings.

Reactions: Old School
SO GLAD you told me that. I would have assumed the RealSense module would kick in automatically, but I checked the ST16 after your post and saw the setting box and clicked it. Rule # 27 to myself: never assume anything having to do with a drone. Know for a fact before doing anything. Is checking the RealSense box something you must do prior to each flight, or does it remain static in the ST16's memory?

My virgin flight plan for tomorrow is to take off modestly in Angle mode, get used to the controls, the handling, the real-time reactions, then take it up for a decent spin. I bought extra batteries, all charged and ready to go. So I'll go through all of the modes, try out the advanced features like Orbit, Follow Me, etc., practice some touch and gos, and then maybe go flat out for speed and altitude. But first I'll see how I do in Turtle mode! Thanks for the tips.

SO GLAD you told me that. I would have assumed the RealSense module would kick in automatically, but I checked the ST16 after your post and saw the setting box and clicked it. Rule # 27 to myself: never assume anything having to do with a drone. Know for a fact before doing anything. Is checking the RealSense box something you must do prior to each flight, or does it remain static in the ST16's memory?

My virgin flight plan for tomorrow is to take off modestly in Angle mode, get used to the controls, the handling, the real-time reactions, then take it up for a decent spin. I bought extra batteries, all charged and ready to go. So I'll go through all of the modes, try out the advanced features like Orbit, Follow Me, etc., practice some touch and gos, and then maybe go flat out for speed and altitude. But first I'll see how I do in Turtle mode! Thanks for the tips.

It stays checked until you uncheck it or do another firmware update. I think you find flying it in Angel mode is pretty easy. Just make sure you give it plenty of time to get GPS lock...especially on your maiden voyage :)

Okay, great. And will do. Any particular number of satellites I should have working to get a GPS lock before I take it up and trust the GPS readings?

Thanks for the link and adding another resource for me to access. I truly appreciate the help. I'm sure you can relate to my excitement about flying it tomorrow. You'd thinking I'm going up in the thing myself! Although with the ST16's great display, it'll be the next best thing to actually flying, I'm sure.

I checked them out. They look pretty interesting, and I can imagine the immersive feeling they would give a drone flyer. But I'm sure I have a LONG way to go and need to get lots of hours under my belt before I ever throw another thing into the mix. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." I'm hoping that approaching the Typhoon with that always in mind, like a mantra, will keep it flying in the air for a long time to come.

Good plan. Enjoy your flight, let us know how it goes and post some video.

Will do, buddy. Thanks a lot for the advice and for the encouragement, too. I will let you know how it goes and post some video of my attempts. Take it easy on the warmer side of the country where things are more, well, Pacific.

Hi CC, Congratulations on your pro... I love mine, it is great fun, especially watching it dodge around things in watch and follow. Just to let you know what I've found out. I wondered what the realsense does in angle mode. On my old advanced one, with sonar only, if I had OA on, and I approached it with my hand, it would back away. Recently, I tried the same but with the realsense of course.... Well, I could put my hand on the front of it, it didn't back off. Just stayed in situ. I then flew it at a barn. It just stopped. So I think that if you did accidentally take off in OA mode, it wouldn't fly away from you. If you took off in smart mode, it would back off from you as it keeps a safe circle. If you took off in safe mode with OA on too, it wouldn't crash as it would sense stuff if you raised the gear right away. Don't forget the gear up to get the realsense to work. Also, it won't go near the floor if you try to land without the gear lowered, so don't worry about that. Anyhow, just thought I'd share my limited knowledge with you. Enjoy it, especially laughing at it in follow and watch. It truly is brilliant. Don't go too fast with OA on though, it'll only follow you at 12MPH! Cheers. Chris.

Thank you, Chris, for congratulating me on obtaining a Pro and for sharing your experience and enthusiasm with me about the Typhoon H. It is quite the machine, that's for sure. I have it set up and ready to go, stopping to look at it everytime I pass by it. The RealSense tech really opens up a world of possibilities it seems. I can't wait to try the many features you mentioned. The place I'll be flying is safe from obstacles, so I'll take my time to settle into the pilot's seat. I'll keep an eye on my speed as you suggest, and bear in mind the others tips you passed along. Cheers to you, too!

Reactions: Christoph
Thank you, Chris, for congratulating me on obtaining a Pro and for sharing your experience and enthusiasm with me about the Typhoon H. It is quite the machine, that's for sure. I have it set up and ready to go, stopping to look at it everytime I pass by it. The RealSense tech really opens up a world of possibilities it seems. I can't wait to try the many features you mentioned. The place I'll be flying is safe from obstacles, so I'll take my time to settle into the pilot's seat. I'll keep an eye on my speed as you suggest, and bear in mind the others tips you passed along. Cheers to you, too!
No worries CC. You'll love it! Must clarify with you that the speed is limited to 12MPH only when the realsense is on. When it's off, you can zoom along at about 50! I have it follow me whilst I'm on the mountain bike and have the realsense on, so I have to be careful not to get too far ahead. If no obstacles, I just zoom off and it always keeps me in sight easily. Enjoy. Can't wait to see what you get it to do... Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval