Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

High Wind

Reaction score
Hi there i am new and i am searching for my first drone, i was thinking about the 4K, but i would like to know how is his performance in strong winds ( 25 - 30 knots ), i've seen some videos on youtube and it seems that it struggles with high winds and also the video performance is strange, not so smooth and like jello ...

ive seen this video were the wind is not so strong but the 4K has some video issues with smoothness etc

thank you in advance
raf

30 knots is the real deal! I really don't see how you will find anything under $3K that could fight that much wind. The drone would have to travel almost 35 mph just to stay in place. To handle the much wind you are looking at some kind of xFold rigs Mapper or FREEFLY Alta. The bigger and heavier the drone, the less susceptible to wind it is.

I've been out when it started gusting to 20 knots. What happens it your drone will go downwind VERY fast. Then it will struggle coming back. I was flying over water so when the battery started to get low things got real exciting. I touched down and one second later the battery completely died.

The 1st time I flew my 4K there was a 15 mph breeze blowing thru. I think manual states not to fly in 8-12 mph gust. I have to say the drone behaved well. Very steady but, you can hear the motors compensating for the wind. I picked the Q500 4K over a DJI because of its size and "heft" To me it would be more stable because of that. I also use it for photography/video not stunt flying. It's like trying to fly a Boeing 737 vs a 747 in turbulence. I fly a lot and the big planes always seem less effected by crosswinds.

Last edited:
30 knots is the real deal! I really don't see how you will find anything under $3K that could fight that much wind. The drone would have to travel almost 35 mph just to stay in place. To handle the much wind you are looking at some kind of xFold rigs Mapper or FREEFLY Alta. The bigger and heavier the drone, the less susceptible to wind it is.

I've been out when it started gusting to 20 knots. What happens it your drone will go downwind VERY fast. Then it will struggle coming back. I was flying over water so when the battery started to get low things got real exciting. I touched down and one second later the battery completely died.

Thanks for the video, nice broads! Er... BOARDS, nice boards! :rolleyes:

I've found with my Q 500 4K that if I fly directly into the wind it will move out slowly. I also found that if you fly into the wind,the return trip is much faster,and helps you get home when you get a low battery alert. Also flying crosswind will sometimes make the quad "spin/turn" off course. The best advice I ever got for flying multirotors was to fly into the wind when at all possible! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace