Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How can I capture stunning color using the CGO3+ ???

Reaction score
The video I'm capturing with me CGO3+ seems dual and washed out. I was hoping the colors would be more vivid and distinct. I've tried various settings in various lighting conditions, and I can't seem to get the colors to pop on the footage I'm capturing. Is this a limitation of the camera? Is anyone capture beautiful color with the CGO3+ ?

Here's video shot using a Modified SteadyCam and the CGO3+ -

Learn how to use the camera settings in manual modes and get good at post processing.

Learn how to use the camera settings in manual modes and get good at post processing.
I was hoping not to have to modify in post... my Canon shoots awesome video and the colors are fine without any post processing...I was hoping the CGO3+ could work the same.

What model Canon?

You do realize the CGO3 has different "richness" settings when used with an ST-10 or -16 controller, yes? I do not know if those are available when used on a gimbal. This is more a forum about the H aircraft as a system, not independent components.

The best video I have had is shooting in RAW mode, and post processing in Davinci Resolve with the correct color adjustment for the camera applied. It really pops, and you can control a lot of the warmth / pop/ softness desired. It does take considerable longer though.

Reactions: jazzman81
The best video I have had is shooting in RAW mode, and post processing in Davinci Resolve with the correct color adjustment for the camera applied. It really pops, and you can control a lot of the warmth / pop/ softness desired. It does take considerable longer though.
Thanks windluv, i'll try that asap!!!

What model Canon?

You do realize the CGO3 has different "richness" settings when used with an ST-10 or -16 controller, yes? I do not know if those are available when used on a gimbal. This is more a forum about the H aircraft as a system, not independent components.

Canon EOS M3

I installed 12.5 and it keeps crashing :-(

You can adjust the settings using the CGO app on your phone. These cameras have small sensors and require high ISO in low light, shooting indoors. This will limit the quality you can get from it.
It will do better outdoors in good light.

Last edited:
You can adjust the settings using the CGO app on your phone. These cameras have small sensors and require high ISO in low light, shooting indoors. This will limit the quality you can get from it.
It sux outdoors as well... look at the attached pic... it almost looks like a greyscale pic. I'm using various settings and they all look crappy. Do you have any recommended settings?

Attachments

• YUN00109.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 69
That's what I've tried... I have the ISO at max!!! I see other people vid and pix and they look great, I guess it's all done in post.

That's what I've tried... I have the ISO at max!!! I see other people vid and pix and they look great, I guess it's all done in post.
In low light you don't have a choice, you have to use high ISO, but in good light, you want to use the lowest possible ISO to reduce noise.
If you want to get more vivid colors without post processing, try shooting in "gorgeous" mode.

It sux outdoors as well... look at the attached pic... it almost looks like a greyscale pic. I'm using various settings and they all look crappy. Do you have any recommended settings?
Your attached picture was shot on an overcast day with none of the subject in good light. You could improve it some in post but for colorful images you need colorful subjects in good light.

Just a quick edit in Photoshop will improve colors but it would look much better if captured in good light.

Attachments

• grey.jpg
    grey.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 62
Apparently we have a photographer that has yet to learn how to use the tools of the trade. Having colors "pop out" on an image can be left to dumb luck or exploited by learning how to use exposure, shutter speed, exposure compensation, filters, depth of field, and of course post processing efforts. To think any camera is going to automatically provide the best image possible, or render the image in the manner hoped for or seen through the view finder simply demonstrates a lack knowledge relative to light, photography in general, and the the equipment involved. Being able to push a button with a nice camera will not ever make anyone a good photographer. You're going to have to work for it because it's not as easy as it looks.

There is not a raw setting for video. The dng is for photos only.

Bill W.

The camera response changes depending on which firmware version you have. Basically, the latest (3.x) series produce better photos and video. Gorgeous mode will produce the most vivid colours, so long as you're not filming in low light conditions. In common with all cameras of this type, the CGO3+ loves plenty of light.

For video, 'RAW' mode is misnamed (the video footage is not raw, but compressed as usual) but essentially in RAW, the video is recorded with a flat colour profile and low saturation which is designed to be ideal for post processing.

It's also worth checking you've got the best white balance. The most neutral is Sunrise/sunset, which gives decent blues (similar to GoPro's standard profile). Most of the other preset white balances tend towards reds (the standard lens has a magenta cast which the white balance presets compensate for, but not heavily).

Finally, I made this video about getting colours to 'pop' in post. It uses Lightworks, but the techniques apply for most decent video editors:

The first thing you should do is set your white balance before your flight. I use a gray card and lock the white balance before taking off. Personally, I think the H meters a little high so I normally set my EV to -0.5 before flying as well. If you want vivid colors out of the camera, set your color setting to gorgeous.

Plan your shots with the sun to your H's back or sides if possible.

For post processing, I find that if I set my white balance for the flight, I can usually get popping colors by playing with brightness/contrast and saturation. (I use Sony Vegas).

Reactions: jazzman81 and skwty
The camera response changes depending on which firmware version you have. Basically, the latest (3.x) series produce better photos and video. Gorgeous mode will produce the most vivid colours, so long as you're not filming in low light conditions. In common with all cameras of this type, the CGO3+ loves plenty of light.

For video, 'RAW' mode is misnamed (the video footage is not raw, but compressed as usual) but essentially in RAW, the video is recorded with a flat colour profile and low saturation which is designed to be ideal for post processing.

It's also worth checking you've got the best white balance. The most neutral is Sunrise/sunset, which gives decent blues (similar to GoPro's standard profile). Most of the other preset white balances tend towards reds (the standard lens has a magenta cast which the white balance presets compensate for, but not heavily).

Finally, I made this video about getting colours to 'pop' in post. It uses Lightworks, but the techniques apply for most decent video editors:

This is a great video... I've added to my playlist of photo/video/film making playlist, which is located here: Photography, Videography, and Film Making - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval