Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How often to re-calibrate?

Reaction score
My Q500+ has been great for my roof inspections and property shots, haven't had any real problems, I have notice when I travel 80 to 150k and back home it seems to be a bit unstable. Is it a good practice to re-calibrate the controller after each mission?

The reason I ask, I did a shoot on Sunday(no problems) about 80k from my place, flew again at home same day and had a bit of a fly away, I hit the altitude stick and RTH and recovered control.

Any advice is appreciated, thx

Generally when traveling 100+ miles from last compass calibration you should recalibrate the compass.

Good tips above. The compass on the Q seems fairly tolerant to some deviation. It seldom needs a re-cal. In fact tens of thousands of them have never been calibrated and they still fly just fine. The time it takes the GPS to update can vary but it will definitely take longer when you travel or if the Q hasn't been flown in over a week.

It is not a good practice to calibrate the ST10 unless you have good reason to do so. Most of the problems with the controller can be found using Hardware Monitor and it doesn't hurt to check that frequently. Watch the stick output very carefully when checking them. The sticks are frequently responsible for erratic flight and they will need cleaned when you see a problem.

Steve makes a good point. I have calibrated my bird once about 2 years ago. Have never seen the need to do it again. I regular travel 50+ miles and fly from the calibrated point. I have never notice any problems.

My Q500+ has been great for my roof inspections and property shots, haven't had any real problems, I have notice when I travel 80 to 150k and back home it seems to be a bit unstable. Is it a good practice to re-calibrate the controller after each mission?

The reason I ask, I did a shoot on Sunday(no problems) about 80k from my place, flew again at home same day and had a bit of a fly away, I hit the altitude stick and RTH and recovered control.

Any advice is appreciated, thx
Hey thought I would chime in on this as Yuneec tech support just answered this for me the other day, so from what they told me I should do it every time I goto a new launch site. You may in fact not need to per the manual however what this guy said made sense, every location has its own magnetic pull, and other big words LOL point being to be on the safe side calibrate every time you goto a new local, if you are flying from the same location then I would say follow the hours...etc

Many thanks for all the info, I'm doing a shoot of 150 acres tomorrow, will re-calibrate when I get to the site. I'll let you guys know how it goes. This will be my largest project, I'm in for a H520, it sounds like it will amazing platform for my work.

Hi Guys
I completed my shoot today with no issues at all, the Q500 worked very well, got some great shots, my client was impressed with the pictures I can't wait for the H520 it should be amazing .

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss