Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to hand catch an H520

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time posting here.

Next week I'll be operating off of a boat for a couple of days. While hand catching is not ideal, sometimes it's necessary. I am trying to find out how to hand catch an H520. I assumed the "both sticks down and in" method worked, as that's been an RC standard for a long time. That doesn't work for me in Angle mode. I tried holding down the Arm button in both Angle and Manual mode and the controller just says it's not disarming. I see videos online of people hand catching H models, I would have thought the method was the same. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it not possible with the H520?

No one has responded yet, so I'll say welcome aboard and share what I know.

If you tap the Arm button (AKA Motor Kill Switch) 3 times quickly the H520 (and TH Plus) motors will stop, even in mid flight -so don't try this where a drop will harm the aircraft or camera.

And on the contrary, hand catching is an ideal method of retrieving your aircraft, and should be part of your piloting skills. Hand catching an H520 or TH Plus is no different that any Typhoon H, but the motor kill procedure is slightly different than the H480 series.

And if you are flying over water, here is a handy item recommended by our own @Ty Pilot, it's cheap insurance.
GetterBack Depth Activated Recovery System, they are widely available online.

ScreenHunter_6428 Mar. 14 23.38.jpg

Put the rate slider below 1/2
Position the drone within your reach.
Use left stick to lower it until you can grab a leg.
Then Kill motors

BTW - the both stick to the corner is not an "RC" thing. It is a DJI thing. Nobody else does it that I know of.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @smittybombs .

As stated above, the sticks "Down and In" is a DJI method to Command Motor Shutdown (DJI calls it something like Commanded Stick Movement CSM).

You'll want to learn and practice the Tap Tap Tap method because that's exactly what you'll be using. Once you do it a couple of times it becomes 2nd nature.

@smittybombs
I've caught my H several times on my boat, here's the trick and be cautions.
Make sure the 520 is low enough to hand catch on the upper part of the landing gear, but you need to push the 520 up a bit so the motors will slow down even more.
As the boat is rocking and if you pull it down the motors will speed up, you then will have problems shutting it down.
I may be taking my H today out on the boat. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for all of the replies/info!

I know my old Autel X-Star had the down/in stick method, and the 210 RTK I usually fly has it as well. I had heard other aircraft used it too, but wasn't sure. My old Solo used a button combination. I knew there had to be a way to kill the motors on the 520. I'm surprised it's not mentioned in the manual - I guess it's a liability issue. Strange that the videos and posts I found all talked about holding the button down, not pressing it 3 times fast.

I will definitely test it out this weekend. I've hand caught other aircraft on boats, so now that I know the method it shouldn't be an issue. We will be using large air boats, so we should be able to nudge on to the land to negate wave action. I'll have a multispectral camera attached as well which will clutter things up slightly but I don't think it'll be too bad.

Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: BigAl07
You'll want to learn and practice the Tap Tap Tap method because that's exactly what you'll be using. Once you do it a couple of times it becomes 2nd nature.

I hand catch my H+ more times than not. What is wrong with simply using the left stick to bring it down into my reach? That gives me immediate control over the descent rate. I set the speed slider to just below half way. Very slow controlled descent.

Here's a quick video demonstrating it....

I know my old Autel X-Star had the down/in stick method, and the 210 RTK I usually fly has it as well. I had heard other aircraft used it too, but wasn't sure. My old Solo used a button combination. I knew there had to be a way to kill the motors on the 520. I'm surprised it's not mentioned in the manual - I guess it's a liability issue. Strange that the videos and posts I found all talked about holding the button down, not pressing it 3 times fast.

I will definitely test it out this weekend. I've hand caught other aircraft on boats, so now that I know the method it shouldn't be an issue. We will be using large air boats, so we should be able to nudge on to the land to negate wave action. I'll have a multispectral camera attached as well which will clutter things up slightly but I don't think it'll be too bad.

Thanks again everyone.
Watch out on the air boat, lots of metal can distract your flight controls. Make sure air boat engine is off.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I understand how it's done. I'm curious why you feel it is better than simply using the throttle stick when hand catching.

I was leaving that link for the OP not in reply to your question bud :)

Reactions: Phaedrus

Thanks again everyone.
A caution on the DJI CSC (combination stick command) sticks down & in. It’s not the suggested landing method even for DJI, it’s a kill method and many miss-use it to land and since near ground it normally works. The suggested procedure is Throttle Stick fully down & held a few seconds to shut off. I don’t recall all the oddities some have reported using the CSC, near crashes, etc. but there are plenty of threads or posts over on DJI sites discouraging the use of CSC to land.

The M210 will land nicely with Throtle held down after touch down. The Mavic if held stick down, basically self lands from a hover.

On the H520 and 3-tap kill... I got lost. I’ve read this is 480 only and 520 & Plus is not recommended.

My H+, which is very similar to the 520, I just catch it and then hold the red button until it stops. Seems to be the easiest for me and most consistent.

Hello everyone, first time posting here.

Next week I'll be operating off of a boat for a couple of days. While hand catching is not ideal, sometimes it's necessary. I am trying to find out how to hand catch an H520. I assumed the "both sticks down and in" method worked, as that's been an RC standard for a long time. That doesn't work for me in Angle mode. I tried holding down the Arm button in both Angle and Manual mode and the controller just says it's not disarming. I see videos online of people hand catching H models, I would have thought the method was the same. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it not possible with the H520?

OK, a couple of points not already made...

Thanks again everyone.

A point not already made... because of the differences in the ST-16 and ST-16S using the same function produces different results...

Clicking the red button on a ST-16 bound to a Typhoon H will initiate the "Red Button" landing technique outlined in the following thread, that allows the Typhoon H to drop by about a foot per click... however it does NOT initiate the same behavior on the H Plus and therefore should not be attempted with a Plus.

Red Button Landing Technique

However, clicking on the red button on a ST-16S bound to a 520 / Plus will initiate the emergency shutdown process that kills the motors. So as long as you are still holding the aircraft over your head, you can do as Dorothy did and click 3 times to stop the motors and go home. And take yer little dog toooooo...

OK, a couple of points not already made...

A point not already made... because of the differences in the ST-16 and ST-16S using the same function produces different results...

Clicking the red button on a ST-16 bound to a Typhoon H will initiate the "Red Button" landing technique outlined in the following thread, that allows the Typhoon H to drop by about a foot per click... however it does NOT initiate the same behavior on the H Plus and therefore should not be attempted with a Plus.

Red Button Landing Technique

However, clicking on the red button on a ST-16S bound to a 520 / Plus will initiate the emergency shutdown process that kills the motors. So as long as you are still holding the aircraft over your head, you can do as Dorothy did and click 3 times to stop the motors and go home. And take yer little dog toooooo...
Thanks for clarification... that’s what I thought I understood previously. The red button works to land the 480, but not the Plus or 520. The 3 taps are a shutdown procedure on Plus / 520, thought I read previously in different thread that a tap also gives unpredictable results in amount of decent?

Curious, does tipping it over 60 degrees ( to the side) cause shutdown too. Thought I recall a thread indicating that as well. That also works on some DJI models.

Holding for 3 seconds will shutdown the motors on a TH... I believe it will also work for the Plus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430