Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to manage batteries for last-minute jobs

Reaction score
I am retired, living in a small town, droning as a hobby with my Q500 4K.

I have been approached by a nearby town that sees the potential for drone photography and FPV in multiple departments: Police, fire, parks and recreation, building, and civic facility maintenance (roof and water tower inspections, etc.).

They don't want to buy a drone or drones, and train multiple people (potentially one per department) to use it. They are interested in an "on call" arrangement with a contractor - some of which would be unplanned, such as a fire scene or a wandered-away senior citizen.

My question is how to maintain batteries for this type operation. If they have a wander-away, they want someone to fly over the pond or woods or whatever RIGHT NOW. If my batteries are on storage charge, it could take 2 hours to get them up to full voltage. If they are fully charged all the time, their life expectancy decreases.

Perhaps the way to handle this is to have 2 sets of batteries - one I treat properly (stored at appropriate level) and use for scheduled flights (such as 2 working-days' notice), and another set that is always charged and used only for short-notice calls. Since the latter will wear out faster, I would price the short-notice calls to reflect the cost of more frequently replacing batteries.

I can't figure any other way to do this.

Is anyone dealing with similar circumstances?

Does anyone have an appropriate contract they would care to share? I am sure there are circumstances I have not thought of. Not to mention insurance and bonding and ...

Thank you everyone for any help at all.

Reactions: Marcius1979
Are you a 107 certified pilot? That is your first step, before anything else. You will not be able to get insurance or operate a commercial service without it.

As far as batteries, if you get a decent aftermarket charger, you can charge considerably faster. I have a EV-Peak DY3 charger for the H and can go from storage to fully charged in 35 minutes. Since it has 2 ports, you could be charging one battery, while storage charging the other. You will have to do a search for an equivalent charger for the Q500. If needed, you can get the appropriate cables and go with a HiTec charger.

Last edited:
Dxdy,

You are close, with your “two sets of batteries” idea.

Next step, if you don’t already have one, is to take Eagle’s advice... get a charger that can storage charge properly.

What you do not need to do is sacrifice a set of batteries by leaving them fully charged at all times. Get good at keeping good logs. If a set has been charged without use for longer than you would like, time to rotate.

Charge the storage charged ones first so you always have a “go” set. Then discharge the “have not been used by...” set. You can rig up a discharge device such as an automobile headlight (I use a fog light”. Do it at night while watching the tube or something. My trick is to use a voltage checker that had two connectors. Displays the voltage while allowing to connect a discharge load. Easy to monitor. Also quicker than a discharge cycle via a charger. I find the time to discharge is maybe five minutes longer than a typical flight.

Also recommend setting a timer so you don’t forget about the discharge. Don’t want to let go too low. If discharged lower than storage, just plug in to charger and charge “up” the storage level.

Jeff

Are you a 107 certified pilot? That is your first step, before anything else. You will not be able to get insurance or operate a commercial service without it.

Thanks. You are of course correct. 107 is at the top of the to-do list.

Dxdy,

You are close, with your “two sets of batteries” idea.

Next step, if you don’t already have one, is to take Eagle’s advice... get a charger that can storage charge properly.

What you do not need to do is sacrifice a set of batteries by leaving them fully charged at all times. Get good at keeping good logs. If a set has been charged without use for longer than you would like, time to rotate.

Charge the storage charged ones first so you always have a “go” set. Then discharge the “have not been used by...” set. You can rig up a discharge device such as an automobile headlight (I use a fog light”. Do it at night while watching the tube or something. My trick is to use a voltage checker that had two connectors. Displays the voltage while allowing to connect a discharge load. Easy to monitor. Also quicker than a discharge cycle via a charger. I find the time to discharge is maybe five minutes longer than a typical flight.

Also recommend setting a timer so you don’t forget about the discharge. Don’t want to let go too low. If discharged lower than storage, just plug in to charger and charge “up” the storage level.

Jeff

I like your suggestion about cycling through the batteries.
Is there also a limit to the number of charge/discharge cycles a battery can tolerate?

Do you have a make/model for the charger you suggest? I have searched and don't see them.

TIA

I could be wrong but I thought my q came with a car power point ( cigar lighter) adaptor.
That may save some time

I could be wrong but I thought my q came with a car power point ( cigar lighter) adaptor.
That may save some time

Yes it did come with one. I have considered taking a marine battery with me into the field and run a 12v charger, as opposed to powering from the car.

As far as batteries, if you get a decent aftermarket charger, you can charge considerably faster. I have a EV-Peak DY3 charger for the H and can go from storage to fully charged in 35 minutes. Since it has 2 ports, you could be charging one battery, while storage charging the other. You will have to do a search for an equivalent charger for the Q500. If needed, you can get the appropriate cables and go with a HiTec charger.

When you say 107 certified pilot you mean the
I am retired, living in a small town, droning as a hobby with my Q500 4K.

I have been approached by a nearby town that sees the potential for drone photography and FPV in multiple departments: Police, fire, parks and recreation, building, and civic facility maintenance (roof and water tower inspections, etc.).

They don't want to buy a drone or drones, and train multiple people (potentially one per department) to use it. They are interested in an "on call" arrangement with a contractor - some of which would be unplanned, such as a fire scene or a wandered-away senior citizen.

My question is how to maintain batteries for this type operation. If they have a wander-away, they want someone to fly over the pond or woods or whatever RIGHT NOW. If my batteries are on storage charge, it could take 2 hours to get them up to full voltage. If they are fully charged all the time, their life expectancy decreases.

Perhaps the way to handle this is to have 2 sets of batteries - one I treat properly (stored at appropriate level) and use for scheduled flights (such as 2 working-days' notice), and another set that is always charged and used only for short-notice calls. Since the latter will wear out faster, I would price the short-notice calls to reflect the cost of more frequently replacing batteries.

I can't figure any other way to do this.

Is anyone dealing with similar circumstances?

Does anyone have an appropriate contract they would care to share? I am sure there are circumstances I have not thought of. Not to mention insurance and bonding and ...

Thank you everyone for any help at all.

I also recommend you to have multiple batteries. Not just 2! I have 3 batteries and I want to have 6. Because the flight time of the Q500 is only around 15-19 mins.

I'm just curious, how do you get in touch of people who needs qualified drone pilots with drones for work? I live in South Florida and if I could make extra $ with my drone it would be great.

Thanks

When you say 107 certified pilot you mean the

I'm just curious, how do you get in touch of people who needs qualified drone pilots with drones for work? I live in South Florida and if I could make extra $ with my drone it would be great.

Thanks

The same question of you... Do you have Part 107 certification? If not, you need to get that first. If you are unfamiliar with what Part 107 is, Do a search on this forum for the term... search is the magnifying glass icon in the upper right or the "search forums" next to it.

Last edited:
The same question of you... Do you have Part 107 certification? If not, you need to get that first. If you are unfamiliar with what Part 107 is, Do a search on this forum for the term... search is the magnifying glass icon in the upper right or the "search forums" next to it.

Yes. I know about the 107. I do not have yet. But this is not the problem. But about find out places where they need certified drone pilots and drones for jobs? Do you have any recommendation ?

Thanks

Your problem with drone business is as follows; To many are charging next to nothing, then there are those who don't have license thus not following the 107 rules and getting paid. You have to find a niche and market yourself. Good luck.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Nothing specific, but you are going about it the right way... what kind of drone work interests you? There are many sub-specialties that all require a different skill set... doing agricultural mapping surveys, realtor work, construction or utility inspections all require different specific skills and possibly additional training... beyond the aspect of piloting a drone for the job. For example, I talked to one local solar company... to work for them I will need to be licensed as an electrician, since I would be working with installation crews... and that's just for their own insurance coverage.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop