Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Linking Two ST16S Controllers

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
Setting up Team Mode with the Typhoon Plus.

Before you begin make sure no other WiFi device is linked to the Slave. This is the most important step because if the 5.8gHz radio is busy, you will not be able to link to the Master for Team Mode. This is where most linking problems occur. The WiFi display in the upper right of ST16S should look like this with each WiFi Icon X-ed out in red. Step 1 below will ensure this is the case. NOTE: Step 1 will not be necessary the very first time a new ST16S slave is set up. However once it has connected to a C23 it will always auto connect within 20 seconds whenever it is detected again.

Start with the Aircraft and both ST16S controllers on. The Master will be the controller that is bound to the Aircraft and the C23.

1) Slave Setup: Manually disconnect the 5.8WiFi link. Tap the Settings icon then tap the WiFi icon. Let the ST16S search for the camera, when it appears in the window tap it to connect if it isn't already connected. Now tap Reset to force the disconnect.
ScreenHunter_6476 Mar. 26 23.58.jpg

After you press Reset a notice will appear indicating the WiFi link is lost and the 5.8gHz icon will now be X-ed out.
5-8 dissconnect.jpg

2) Master Setup: Tap the Task Icon and then tap the Team Mode Icon. A window will appear and the Master will search for a Slave.
Master Sees Slave.jpg

3) Slave: Tap the Task icon, then the Team Mode Icon. Select slave and wait for the Master ID to appear in the window. When both IDs are shown on both controllers tap on the Master ID -in my case Android_9560, this will send a Connect Request to the Master.
Slave Sees Master.jpg

4) Master: Accept the request to connect from the Slave and wait for the link to establish.
Request.jpg

Note: If the link times out after the request is accepted, or no request appears on the Master, stop Team Mode on both controllers and initiate it again.

When the Link is established you will see these notices on the two screens:
Master / Slave:
Master Link to Slave.jpg
Slave Link to Master.jpg

Once the link is established you can choose the method of gimbal control by taping the icon just below Team Mode and selecting the desired mode.
Traditional Knobs (clumsy and awkward):
Gimbal Knobs (2).jpg

Or Joystick (Smooth as Silk!):
Gimbal Stick.jpg

This post: Setting up Team Mode on H+ contains a video tutorial from @JackMTaco that demonstrates this procedure. It is best to direct any further discussion on the subject to his thread.

NOTE: For those coming from an H480 it is helpful to understand the difference in how Team Mode works on both platforms. The H480 splits the WiFi link so one controller uses 2.4gHz for flight control, while the other uses the 5.8gHz for camera control.
The H Plus Master retains both WiFi signals to the aircraft, while the Slave links directly to the Master to control the camera thru the Master's WiFi link. This is why the Slave cannot be linked to the C23 when initiating the Team Mode feature.

Last edited:
Just wondering if a standard st16 (like from a TH) will work to control the TH Plus. Do you know?

Just wondering if a standard st16 (like from a TH) will work to control the TH Plus. Do you know?
No, unfortunately they operate with a completely different FC App, not eve close to compatible. Might as well be from a different manufacturer.

Nice, can't wait to try it, now I just gotta find a spare ST-16S.
Might have to wait about year when they should be a dime a dozen. Then again it's spring time, that means @Steve Carr will be out with his TH Plus interfacing with trees again, so you might not need to wait too much longer before he has a spare ST16S to sell!?

Setting up Team Mode with the Typhoon Plus.

Before you begin make sure no other WiFi device is linked to the Slave. This is the most important step because if the 5.8gHz radio is busy, you will not be able to link to the Master for Team Mode. This is where most linking problems occur. The WiFi display in the upper right of ST16S should look like this with each WiFi Icon X-ed out in red. Step 1 below will ensure this is the case.

Start with the Aircraft and both ST16S controllers on. The Master will be the controller that is bound to the Aircraft and the C23.

Been gone for a while - I will add the infor. you provided THANKS - as I don't have 2 ST16S's.
Need to update soon as the BUILD 829 changed things to.
Again Thanks

Reactions: DCH
Had a good 'team' flight today with @Merhlin. Took us a couple of tries to get the controllers connected, but the above directions are very accurate. (I should have reviewed them before heading out...)
However, we did not need to follow the first step, of manually disconnecting wifi.
We just kinda fumbled through it by following the screen prompts, and those start at step two - and it went okay. One or two tries to get everything connected, but once it did, was stable and good. Also, we missed the button to switch from standard gimbal controls to the joystick. Once we found that things seemed to really click (but nice to be able to switch back so that you can aim the camera fwd for the flight home).

Reactions: DCH
However, we did not need to follow the first step, of manually disconnecting wifi.
Yes, this is correct but only the very first time an ST16S is introduced to a new C23 as a slave. If it has never seen the the C23 before, it will not auto connect to it, so the first time setting it up, step #1 is not necessary. However, step #1 will be necessary every time after that because the ST16S will auto connect to any C23 it has seen before. So the next time you meet up with @Merhlin you will need to perform step #1.

I did not want to complicate the instructions trying to explain how the 1st time setup is different, however I will add a note to the end with a heads up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trav H
Thank you for this. I was able to finally link my Control Stations together but I am having a serious unsolvable issue.

When I link select the filming mode that I want the camera immediately pitches down 45 degrees and stays there. I can't get the camera to move at all. It does record though.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I have tried to update the camera but as soon as I press update the ion vanishes and nothing seems to be happening.

I got connected using your instructions but my camera imediatly points down 45 degrees and remains fixed. neither controller will control.

Reactions: MountainDroneTN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone