Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I knew it was coming.

RPR

Reaction score
My wife has been working as an emergency department RN director for 6 years (she’s one of the youngest directors in the field) Last year she was approached by one the leaders at Kaiser Permanente for the opportunity to work, relocate to Hawaii (which, she and I are from) and improve the ED in the big island, as she did for two hospitals, here in the San Francisco bay. After a year of negotiations, with Kaiser, my wife and I had decided that it is best to move back to Hawaii, now that we both turned 40 and start fresh again. Sacrificing our business in the medical device delivery that we have here in SF, as well as my drone business and end my contract with Lennar Development after this season is over, so she can have the opportunity to be a part of a great team, and enhance her career, and network.

I’m excited and at the same time fearful that we have to start all over, I know that Hawai’i does not have a lot of construction compare to here in the mainland, and I have to start from scratch. There’s a lot of things going on in my head right now, and in these few days, months will limit my presence in social media, as we are slowly packing for the move.

As one that established a home and has continually lived in it for many years I don’t envy the packing and “keep, don’t keep” decisions you are facing.

Life changes are always difficult but you have established you are creative, resourceful, and have the dedication necessary to succeed. You should do well, and do so in a location you grew up in and likely miss. See ya back when you get settled[emoji106]

My wife has been working as an emergency department RN director for 6 years (she’s one of the youngest directors in the field) Last year she was approached by one the leaders at Kaiser Permanente for the opportunity to work, relocate to Hawaii (which, she and I are from) and improve the ED in the big island, as she did for two hospitals, here in the San Francisco bay. After a year of negotiations, with Kaiser, my wife and I had decided that it is best to move back to Hawaii, now that we both turned 40 and start fresh again. Sacrificing our business in the medical device delivery that we have here in SF, as well as my drone business and end my contract with Lennar Development after this season is over, so she can have the opportunity to be a part of a great team, and enhance her career, and network.

I’m excited and at the same time fearful that we have to start all over, I know that Hawai’i does not have a lot of construction compare to here in the mainland, and I have to start from scratch. There’s a lot of things going on in my head right now, and in these few days, months will limit my presence in social media, as we are slowly packing for the move.
Time to help your relative that's in the helicopter business.

All the best to you and your wife RPR! i think this could be a good move for you also. You are very creative with the UAV and camera and I think you could do well in a more artistic genre if construction work is lagging. May all go as smoothly as possible during your transition.

Thanks guys, the change will be good. We are now looking for a good realtor. We are targeting to move out of the mainland by the end of summer. I signed a new contract, with Lennar and debating if travel is an option, but I have to see.

For business, the weeding gigs are big in Hawaii, but it’s also saturated. I have a 45% confidence right now, but it will all come together once I am outside of my comfort zone.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
It's always best to hunt when you a little hungry. ;) I agree with the above - you've got a deep skill set and a clean canvas, I bet you'll do well.

P.S. I spent the first part of my life dreaming that I could move to some place like Florida :cool:(hey I was a kid at the time) but I've spent the last 30 years figuring out just how I can get back home. I envy your dilemma.

Reactions: Auburnweedkiller
I think you’ll find a niche.....and make it work.

I’d love to move there. Had 1 chance...years ago, to manage a data center on Kauai....but they didn’t want to pay me. Said living on Kauai was a huge benefit.....but for what they were offering, couldn’t buy property, have a house, a sailboat, Jeep....all those things that would make living on Kauai a paradise. Had to pass.

Used to be we went to Kalalau to forget about all that stuff. I doubt the place is like that now. Spent some time surfing Kauai in the mid 70’s. Heaven on earth at the time, even if you were a Haole.

Hi RPR,
Your futures are in a good space as you are very resourceful and a great thinker with a very good work ethic and you both should exceed back in your birthplace and I will wait for some good things from the BIG ISLAND. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep Flying on the Green Side of the GRASS.

Reactions: Fenwick

Good Lucky to you & your family RPR, we spoke about Nashville when you were here doing some work a few months ago. Catch up with you from the Big Island, Take Care

Your relocating to a beautiful place! Pack your yuneec’s carefully and send us some video and snapshots of the awesome landscape!
Best of luck to you.

As one that established a home and has continually lived in it for many years I don’t envy the packing and “keep, don’t keep” decisions you are facing.

Life changes are always difficult but you have established you are creative, resourceful, and have the dedication necessary to succeed. You should do well, and do so in a location you grew up in and likely miss. See ya back when you get settled[emoji106]
Very well said.

I am not here long. But I wish you and your wife all the best. My nephew is marrying a lady from Hawaii in a few months. Anyway good luck with it all.

RPR,

Since you’ll be back on your home turf perhaps you could try to bring some of the majesty back to big wave surfing videos. Seems all the drone and helicopter filming takes much of the relative size from the waves, making the rider look bigger than they are while providing a false perspective of the wave. In total it makes a ride look easy, which it certainly isn’t.

If you were able to pull that off there’s prolly a lot of surfing sponsors out there that might retain you to bolster their advertising image.

Last edited:
Good luck, @RPR, both with this season closing shop and with your move. Hopefully you will be able to maintain some form of relationship with your current clients on the mainland, affording you opportunities to get back should you wish to.

Looking forward to seeing what you do back home on the islands.

Safe travels and all the best to you and your lovely bride.

Jeff

I’m excited and at the same time fearful that we have to start all over, I know that Hawaii does not have a lot of construction compare to here in the mainland, and I have to start from scratch. There’s a lot of things going on in my head right now, and in these few days, months will limit my presence in social media, as we are slowly packing for the move.
I know I guy up in Hawaii. JBR Life photography. Very nice guy, but could be your competition for drone work. From what I know he's worked with SAR, just about every broker up there and lots of people know him for his photography all over the Island. He's done a little bit of 3d mapping but not a whole lot.

I hope you can get something going once you get up there. I know moving somewhere new can have it's hardships. (I've done it 3 Times !) Best of luck to you and your wife.

Thanks guys, the change will be good. We are now looking for a good realtor. We are targeting to move out of the mainland by the end of summer. I signed a new contract, with Lennar and debating if travel is an option, but I have to see.

For business, the weeding gigs are big in Hawaii, but it’s also saturated. I have a 45% confidence right now, but it will all come together once I am outside of my comfort zone.
A saturated market can be a very good thing. Saturation means it is a perfect opportunity because the market has been proven, now you get to show what you can really do. The saying is "The cream rises to the top", and I would suspect as in a relationship, a lot of the guys out there are now complacent. You'll be fine out there.

A saturated market can be a very good thing. Saturation means it is a perfect opportunity because the market has been proven, now you get to show what you can really do. The saying is "The cream rises to the top", and I would suspect as in a relationship, a lot of the guys out there are now complacent. You'll be fine out there.
My view is that a saturated market only serves to drive down the amount of fees you can charge for your work. But I'm talking about the situation in the U.K. of course.

My view is that a saturated market only serves to drive down the amount of fees you can charge for your work. But I'm talking about the situation in the U.K. of course.
I can't say as I agree with that. When a market is saturated, yes, the price may go down. But typically the ones that lower their price, do it to because they devalue themselves and their work tends to show it. Most people understand that quality work is going to cost money. The ones that don't understand that, you don't do work for them. If you are constantly lowering your price to compete, you need to get out of the business as you are doing nothing but adding to the deflated pricing.

I can't say as I agree with that. When a market is saturated, yes, the price may go down. But typically the ones that lower their price, do it to because they devalue themselves and their work tends to show it. Most people understand that quality work is going to cost money. The ones that don't understand that, you don't do work for them. If you are constantly lowering your price to compete, you need to get out of the business as you are doing nothing but adding to the deflated pricing.
I've recently put my prices up. I value my work and I won't lower my prices like some others are doing, but some operators in England are racing each other to the bottom and it's difficult for me to see how they are even breaking even. I went through a rough patch towards autumn last year and all but chucked it all in...that was mainly because of hobby fliers taking work in my area for very small fees or even free. Since then I've been noticed by a news media company so things aren't so bad for me now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval