Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I may be wrong but....

Yes or no

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
There appears to be a growing number of H520 haters on this site, if that is the cause and I'm not oversensitive, should the forum adopt the Lyndon B. Johnson attitude? You know the one 'It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in', what say you?

Reactions: ArltTech
it can be soothing moqueur dji.gif

Although he does not have all the required functions, I still like him and I keep him.
In any case, he knows how to make beautiful straight lines ......pffff.gif

Addison,

There will always be "haters" and those that are clandestinely promoting a different brand. The brand promoters can be weeded out and blocked and "haters" neutralized with proof of performance and reliability. But there are others that really want to see Yuneec succeed through the value of their products. There are many that have been with Yuneec a long time, that have spent considerable sums for their equipment only to see Yuneec make the same mistakes over and over again. They see Yuneec abandoning previous products after waiting a year or more for the problems they were released with left unchanged, or worse, reduced in capability and had new problems introduced through a defective "update and improvement" process.

Personally, I have over $10k in Yuneec products. Two H-480's, a spare CGO-3, a 920+ and Proaction hand held gimbal, and numerous extra batteries for those aircraft. I went with Yuneec after flying their Blade branded Chroma in 2015 and learning it was dependable and had an extremely smooth gimbal. The Chroma/Q-500/H gimbal is better than anything DJI has had up until the P4 and I'm still not sure the P4 is a match or bests the Yuneec gimbal. We must remember that a camera rig has but one purpose, and that's to deliver good video product, and anything that eliminates the need for stabilization in post is far superior to things that don't. Understand that on my end I've been a staunch supporter of Yuneec since before the release of the H-480 and helped promote it heavily because I believed in what Yuneec was trying to do in their approach with an entry level pro camera rig. Although not perfect the H-480 was easily improved through firmware updates and when installed properly those updates provided considerably more functionality and versatility than had been present with the initial platform release. Yuneec has built their camera rig following on their willingness and ability to expand platforms via firmware improvements. As the H-480 is more or less improvement limited by what can be done with the CGO-3 and the gimbal control layout on the ST-16 I recognize the H-480 has for the most part reached the end of it's time, but they could have sold a lot more of them had they added just one critically important mission planning feature; pe-planned waypoints. The FC used would certainly support the function.

Since Yuneec states they are splitting their operations into both consumer and commercial we should take a moment to review their best commercial product, the 920. The 920 is a platform far superior to the H-480, and I daresay it beats out the 520 in many ways. As good as it is it used to be better. For reasons unknown they downgraded the 920 with a "factory" conversion they called the 920+, eliminating many camera controls by discarding the ST-24 and substituting the ST-16. They also discarded a critical tool for professional users by removing Team mode. While all that took place their conversion process caused a system change that cut the flight time that could be obtained with the existing batteries and has done nothing about that defect. They have been aware of that problem since the middle of last year. Worse, brand new 920 batteries are being sold with pack IR's of between 40 and 70 milli-Ohms. Users have discovered the reasons for the battery issues and arrived at a solution that Yuneec could easily adopt and provide to their 920 customer base, (make and provide a higher C rating battery) but they have done nothing. Of course there are soft/firmware issues in the 920 that could be easily corrected with a firmware update but nothing has been done in this area since Yuneec created new problems during the 920+ conversions. It's been left hanging on the vine, which is pretty stupid for a company that states they are expanding into the commercial venue. You don't discard your best product in order to release a new product of lower performance that sells for the same amount of money.

Most people learn from experience, and since Yuneec is populated by people the same should apply to the corporate level. But they are not learning, they are making the same mistakes repeatedly. Taking a moment to look at the ST-16 they should have been able to learn the gimbal controls have been a major stumbling point for users. As people do not have three hands it should have been recognized that gimbal control could be vastly improved with changes to the layout of the ST-16. Put the speed slider on the pan knob as it does not get changed much and put pan control on a slider. Alternatively, add a third slider to the ST-16 under the tilt slider. Transmitters with more than one slider per side have been on the market for over a decade so such a design is not difficult to incorporate. JR and Futaba are examples. You need to have gimbal controls that are positioned where a fingertip can access and control them. Removing your fingers from the flight controls to move the camera is not conducive to smooth or safe flight and is certainly detrimental to scene creation. Alternatively, provide a small control unit that provides camera control for a second operator. Ideally, do both.

So here we have the 520 with the same transmitter lay out that's been present since it was first designed in 2015. What have they learned? What have they improved? As commercial users tend to be considerably more discerning than consumers the gimbal control layout of the ST-16 and ST-16s is a major stumbling point. Removing Team mode from the 520 (and 920) is an even greater faux pau as those using the 520 for law enforcement, fire suppression, and search and rescue have no ability to operate a UAV in the manner they are accustomed to, through separate flight and camera operators. LEA's ALWAYS employ more than one person for surveillance imagery operations. It's necessary for evidence collection and chain of custody. Same thing with fire departments; they are responsible for saving lives and keeping their people alive in fire situations, which requires more than one pair of hands and eyes to accomplish. The flight operator cannot possibly devote the amount of attention required to the delivered video and still fly the airplane. Understand that law enforcement staffs themselves with ex military people and those military people spent years training with and using two operator systems.

Without expanding on the problems Yuneec experienced this past year with vendor induced loss of revenue, and the incessant offensive against them mounted and sustained be DJI, Yuneec is making mistakes. Very serious mistakes. Someone mentioned competition in another thread. I'd like to point out that DJI is not the competition, they are by any standard the industry leader and Yuneec has to compete against them. To compete you must offer something those you are competing against does not have or offer. Desired features, superior customer service, evolving platforms, problem resolution, continuous process and system improvement, are all things Yuneec is not providing. lacking those they can only fail, and I do not want to see them fail. To the contrary, I desperately hope they will improve and expand. Unfortunately you cannot make direct contact with Yuneec upper management. You can't even approach their middle management, which is usually the level discerning corporations put in a position to handle such tasks. Myself and others have tried various avenues to offer suggestions and support but cannot get past the customer service level, a level where the personnel are not permitted to help you move your communications up the chain of command. Yuneec doesn't even bother to provide company representation in public forums where their products are the primary topic. The only thing Yuneec seems to be hearing is customer complaints, and they are failing to react or respond to those, instead choosing to make those problems worse through further staff reductions and releasing more unfinished product with hopes of stimulating their revenue stream by misleading their customers. Engineering of a new product typically revolves around an 80% solution, with product improvements picking up a final 15% or so post production and release. Yuneec isn't even hitting a 50% solution target. That MUST change if they want to survive.

Ultimately, many have tried being supportive and provided suggestions for corrections and improvements that would be relatively easy and inexpensive to incorporate, solutions that would assist increasing market share and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately Yuneec has elected to both ignore them while at the same time kick them in the ta-ta's buy cutting off improvement of the products already sold. The 520 buyers, with a brand new product, have already been kicked repeatedly, promised corrections as yet undelivered, and paid far more for an entry level "commercial" product than it's worth. It does not do anything even close to new or provide ground breaking technology to the market. The only advantage of the 520 as it currently stands is that it does not collect and transmit user generated data to the manufacturer. Everything else it does falls well short of what can be had for less money with different brands and platforms. That's not a good way to run a business where you hope to compete against the brand that can do more with their products than what yours can.

Some of us want to help, have tried to help, found solutions to problems that have been rejected, and are losing or lost faith. The only thing left is hope they will respond to complaints in public forums, something Yuneec has also not responded to. That's not the way improvements should happen, but what do we have left to try?

Last edited:
It's a shame, this time, to agree with you, PatR. I say it's a shame because you've written practically everything I think, something else would include me but in short the reality is like that.

It's always said that hope is the last thing you lose, but when you get hit and beaten and you don't see light at the end of the road, you have to be pragmatic. I still think that the system has a lot of future, but if something is not done to remedy it, it is, unfortunately, doomed to collapse. It can't be that we find out what is being worked on by third parties, I am clear that they are working and very hard on this announced great update but if we don't really get news officially sent to us........ no confirmation makes us doubt.

I know I'm a pain in the ***, but by providing information, I don't say any more promising things that are still not fulfilled, I just say "soon we'll have this" or something like that I don't know. Take things out little by little instead of a blow, let it show movement.

Regarding the lack of information I don't understand what the marketing manager is doing. Is he stuck in a cave and unable to see the existing discomfort? Marketing is limited to presenting itself only at fairs? That the only ads that are made is to present new products that don't even exist? are just ideas? who on top of this cause even more discomfort by the feeling of abandonment that we have the buyers of a new product that after 6 months does not do many of the things promised and on top of that we find out by third parties that the big problem of a camera of 1200€ is the lens that is not going to be fixed and still something is solved with a software solution? "The lens won't fix, you can fix it in post-production". The ideal solution........

I'm not saying everything I think because in the end, because of the trust placed in the brand makes me be prudent, but not stupid.........

P.D.I try to get something positive out of everything or at least something that makes me smile so that I don't get 40 stomach ulcers. PatR, I thought I wrote a very long post, know that even though the subject is serious... My online translator hates you, he can't at the same time with everything you've written :p

Reactions: PatR
PatR very well stated to say the least. Can you just apply for a position in Yuneec to square them around...seriously!

I would in a heartbeat if asked, and do it cheaply. I know I have more of a history in both RC and unmanned systems than they do, and understand both the customer and the market better. To help them would also benefit me, and a win/win at that level would benefit others equally.

But they won’t ask because marketing and business degrees are currently being viewed as superior to experience, outside the box creativity, and customer relations.

Unfortunately, successful experience should out weigh the degree dummy, I've know people that have degrees and might as well not have gone to college, totally inept! :eek:

@PatR

Your post is spot on. I was so impressed with your post, I can't remember any article lately that was so well presented. I can understand that you want Yuneec to survive, but at this point I sure am glad that I didn't spend the money for the 520. That's a hard thing to say, as I really wanted one. Or should I say I wanted one of what I thought it was going to be. When you run for office at Yuneec you surely have my vote!!

In a corporate environment people don’t run for office, they are selected based on various criteria and delegated responsibility, and more often than not, not provided authority. Authority is held by CEO’s or committees that make decisions through “consensus”. This is where they fail as many that lack a true understanding of their endeavors hold higher positions of power they use to leverage those beneath them to adopt their opinions. If the lower levels fail to adopt they are demoted or terminated and the original issues remain in a slightly modified form. You can’t be a “yes man” and have any hope of making a better product or service. You can keep your job but you are less of a man by doing so. Amazing the number of people that are willing to take that route. Those that take the path having the most resistance, which emanates from company yes men, are always balanced on the head of a pin. They have zero room to fail. They either research the material and are adamant with what needs be done or they’re dead. Being PC is another means to achieve failure as it plays into a consensus environment.

Reactions: djkelly57
There is no explanation other than the Truth. Yuneec has not produced the documents or instruments. Their attitude is, if you do not like the way we do things,we are not going to give you options,to remedy the problems, you have, with the Technology.
Past performance is no future guarantee. Pat R you have supplied all the truth.The reasons for their failure are not mysterious. The company needs to deal with the market that exists today, right now rather, than the one they wish to emerge.
The board have perfected Pretend and Denial into an Art Form.
I have also invested in Yuneec but have faith, so i will endorse not reject having faith, they will stop, look, correct and take action to remedy all this.
If not, DJ wins, as their Mantra has been Always play to win and not to keep from Losing.

Don't forget "announcing" a new product with no date of release. This is a major, amateur approach that smells of identifying a potential market before actual production, a tactic that is signature of a company in major trouble.

PatR I would agree with your analyses, I also have tried to reach out to Yuneec and offer practical assistance but to no avail, I would like to see them succeed but they seem to lack a basic understanding of their customers and are still trying to play the dji game which isn't working or going to work for them

You will never increase market share when the best you can do is make slight modifications in two or more year old technology to call it "new" product. You expand your customer base by researching what the customers need and want and take that information to develop product that is one or more steps further advanced than that. You show the prospective customer how the product will benefit them, improve their finished product, or generate greater ease of use in order to excite them. If the best you can do is match the products your competitors released a year or more ago, or even worse, only partially match those products, your company is slated for extinction. At this point in time Yuneec, and Autel, are at best two years behind DJI and neither is showing any signs of deviating from the process of minimal development they have been following. What they are showing is a massive case of indecision.

One of the most successful fixed wing UAV companies in the world has maintained pretty much the same basic platform for the past 14 years and only made changes in the auto pilot and payloads to meet the needs and desires of the customer. When you think about it, DJI has in large part followed a similar process, using the Phantom line to carry the business while using other platforms to determine what the market might want. What we do is nothing without the camera/payload, which is where new development work needs to be focused. If you don't have the staff talent for this you might as well stay home.

Reactions: FasterPastor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio