Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I passed too! Another FAA certificate on the way!

Reaction score
Took the part 107 exam this week. Was harder than I thought. Typical tricky FAA questions. Got a 97%!
Missed two questions and I'm not a pilot. Guess 28 years of ATC helped :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170311_091131062.jpg
    IMG_20170311_091131062.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: ChadCloses
Congratulations. As a retired ATC, what is the feeling of ATC and drones in general? Interested in knowing.

Thanks. To answer your question: I would say myself and co-workers were pretty much indifferent. I worked at Class C's for a long time and I fielded a few phone calls from drone pilots. I would ask the usual questions and just say thanks for the call. If someone had a waiver we would have the info in the tower and make sure to keep A/C clear. We never had a problem with any drones just the idiots with lasers! BTW, I'm in line to get a ATC job at a class D soon. Can I notify myself before I fly :)?

Congratulations ATC, great score. Surely your years in the field helped.

A question to all - how long after getting your temporary certificate do you receive the official one? Thanks.

Thanks. To answer your question: I would say myself and co-workers were pretty much indifferent. I worked at Class C's for a long time and I fielded a few phone calls from drone pilots. I would ask the usual questions and just say thanks for the call. If someone had a waiver we would have the info in the tower and make sure to keep A/C clear. We never had a problem with any drones just the idiots with lasers! BTW, I'm in line to get a ATC job at a class D soon. Can I notify myself before I fly :)?

That was hilarious!!

best study method you guys/gals have found for those of us w/o loads of aircraft experience?

I choose to self-study because I thought in this way I would get the most benefit, others may need the classroom type setting, I just choose to go this route. While I have no full scale aviation experience I have been an RC pilot for close to 40 years, that experience helped a little. However, if you're new to UAV's and have no prior RC type experience I would also spend a lot of time reading this forum and watching Youtube videos.

The way I did it is to first gather all the recommended PDFs, the main ones are (in my estimation):

AC 107 -2
FAA - G -8082 - 22
FAA - CT - 8080 - 2G (this is supplied to you when you take the test) - All of these can be downloaded from the FAA website, and there are a few more that could help.

I also found a couple videos on Youtube that I thought were helpful and watched them over and over.

The way I studied was to first read the study material at least twice over a period of about a week. I then found a UAG sample exam in two versions, one with and one without the answers. I printed the non-answered exam off and proceeded to take the sample test, compare with the correct answers and saw what I missed, return to study and repeat until I felt I had a grasp on the material.

Then I took three weeks away from studying or even reading about the test or material, that brought me to about two weeks ago. I again self-took the sample test and noted what I missed and compared to my previous answers to see where I was not proficient. For me, understanding weather, in particular relationships between pressure, temperature and humidity just made no sense at the time. In addition, airspace and chart reading needed some attention. So I spent a lot of time grasping those concepts.

Another thing I would point out is that there is a bank of 1000 questions in the data base and it spits out 60 and no one knows which. In my test, the first ten were nothing like what I thought I would see, and I only got one question that I had seen in the sample. It is a little nerve-racking at first, you've got a timer clocking down, your being video-taped and watched, but take your time, read the questions carefully - they (FAA) do throw curve balls, and good ones too.

When taking the test; make sure you read the question and understand it before even looking at the answers, answer the question in your head then look at the answers - if one the answers on the screen and what you thought does not match near perfectly, do not answer - read the question again then think through your answer. I caught about four or five questions I would have gotten wrong by doing this and, they were in the areas I struggled with when studying.

The good thing is you don't have to cram, take your time and don't rush and Good Luck.

Pat

Reactions: photomike72

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech