Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I think I already know the answer

Reaction score
Thought I would take some pictures at the highest res which is 12K. Manual says setting the video to the highest res which is 4092 or something like that will set the camera to highest res also. When I reviewed the pics in High res against the pics I had in low res, 1080P, I did not see a lot of difference. Then I remembered that to view the higher resolutions you must have a device that can play/show in high res. I have only a 1080P tv and a 1080P laptop. At least I think its 1080P. Certainly not high res. So until I get a 4K tv or some other High res devise I guess I cannot view video or pics in high res. Does this sound right? Guess I will be getting some new high res devises soon.

Yep, that’s the way it works. Same with your home TV. If the program you’re watching is being broadcast in 4k and you only have a 720 or 1080 resolution TV, the best you will see is what the TV resolution is. You won’t be able to view the 4k resolution image.

Reactions: AJan
They make quite a few of them, but if you plan on doing your video processing on one the ones most capable don't come cheap. I'm typing this on a Toshiba P55W-C Satellite laptop 4K Ultra HD laptop that provides great imagery but is a little too weak in the graphics card to handle 4K video as well as it should.

That's the problem with UHD video. When you step up to it you have to step everything else up too. It gets expensive.

Thanks Ron. Very helpful. On another note if anyone can recommend a laptop that would be considered the most powerful available for showing 4k videos let me know. Largest video card, fastest processor, etc. Regardless of cost. Thanks.

Many laptops/notebooks will show 4K video but not at full resolution. I'm not familiar with laptops for the Windows world so I can't really help you much there.

I do my 4K video processing on my 27" 5K iMac. My 15" MacBook Pro shows 4K video that looks good but its not at full 4K resolution on the notebook. It's not a big deal to attach a 4K monitor to it via Thunderbolt though. At lot of video pros do that.

The biggest thing for 4K video processing on any machine is a fast GPU with a good amount of VRAM and 16-32 GB RAM for the computer itself.

Just my $0.02

I just went to B&H and spec-ed out a Laptop computer (PC) that will chew through 4K like a knife thru hot butter. I like the Intel Processors but you could also go with some of the better AMDs, This will run you just a tad under 3 grand and you could get by with a little less comp muscle and keep it around 2 grand. Like Ron mentions; the big things are Processor Speed, RAM and the best GPU you can afford. Personally I like working on a desktop because you can get a lot more bang for the buck but I realize there are times when a laptop would come in handy.

Here's the goodies:

Acer 17.3" Predator 17 Notebook
  • 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad-Core
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM | 2 x 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • 17.3" 3840 x 2160 G-Sync IPS Display
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X)
  • SD Media Card Reader
  • 802.11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.1
  • USB 3.0 | HDMI | DP | Thunderbolt 3
  • Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Comp.jpg

Reactions: rdonson
The one thing I have always wondered and perhaps Ron can answer this: How do they get that much GPU into a size that fits into a Laptop:eek:? Because the ones we run in our Desktops are monsters that require very large towers with lots of space and cooling.

GPU.jpg

UW, @wings

If you're willing to consider a Mac here's the current top of the line desktop machine. Very powerful, great monitor and will put a dent in anyone's wallet if spec'd out.

iMac Pro

=============================

My 27" iMac is spec'd out

5120‑by‑2880 Retina display - P3 color space
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
40 GB RAM
Radeon Pro 580 8GB VRAM
SSD internal drive
Thunderbolt 2 - 5 bay storage device (Drobo)

I also have a 25" second monitor - makes life with Photoshop much easier

Reactions: Ty Pilot
The one thing I have always wondered and perhaps Ron can answer this: How do they get that much GPU into a size that fits into a Laptop:eek:? Because the ones we run in our Desktops are monsters that require very large towers with lots of space and cooling.

View attachment 9111

Dealing with thermal constraints usually means lower clock speeds.

Given that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X) spec says it consumes 180 watts the card has to be quite different for the laptop than the desktop. 180 watts would go through a laptop pretty fast.

I just went to B&H and spec-ed out a Laptop computer (PC) that will chew through 4K like a knife thru hot butter. I like the Intel Processors but you could also go with some of the better AMDs, This will run you just a tad under 3 grand and you could get by with a little less comp muscle and keep it around 2 grand. Like Ron mentions; the big things are Processor Speed, RAM and the best GPU you can afford. Personally I like working on a desktop because you can get a lot more bang for the buck but I realize there are times when a laptop would come in handy.

Here's the goodies:

Acer 17.3" Predator 17 Notebook
  • 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad-Core
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM | 2 x 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • 17.3" 3840 x 2160 G-Sync IPS Display
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X)
  • SD Media Card Reader
  • 802.11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.1
  • USB 3.0 | HDMI | DP | Thunderbolt 3
  • Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
View attachment 9110
Looks very interesting. Would like to know your impressions after you get it,

On another note if anyone can recommend a laptop that would be considered the most powerful available for showing 4k videos let me know. Largest video card, fastest processor, etc. Regardless of cost. Thanks.

Like I said, I'm not a Laptop guy, I was just answering your call for recommendations. I've got a desktop that I upgraded last year to close to those specs; except for the 4K display, and I can view and edit full 4K video effortlessly, at least from the CG03+, and my recently purchased Panasonic Lumix LX10 which has a 4K data rate twice that of the H.

Last edited:
Here's something very similar to TyPilot's Acer but from HP:

HP OMEN X Laptop - 17t-Best Value

Specs
  • Windows 10 Home 64
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (2.9 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated)
  • 32 GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB) supporting Intel® XMP
  • 17.3" diagonal 4K IPS eDP anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; Two 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • Office Software Trial
  • Security Software Trial
  • 6-cell, 99 Wh Lithium-ion Battery
  • No DVD or CD Drive
  • Full-size backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and NKRO
  • HP Wide Vision FHD Camera with Dual Digital Microphone
  • 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
Price: $2940

Like I said, I'm not a Laptop guy, I was just answering your call for recommendations. I've got a desktop that I upgraded last year to close to those specs; except for the 4K display, and I can view and edit full 4K video effortlessly, at least from the CG03+, and my recently purchased Panasonic Lumix LX10 which has a 4K data rate twice that of the H.
Thanks again Ty!

Here's something very similar to TyPilot's Acer but from HP:

HP OMEN X Laptop - 17t-Best Value

Specs
  • Windows 10 Home 64
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (2.9 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated)
  • 32 GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB) supporting Intel® XMP
  • 17.3" diagonal 4K IPS eDP anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; Two 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • Office Software Trial
  • Security Software Trial
  • 6-cell, 99 Wh Lithium-ion Battery
  • No DVD or CD Drive
  • Full-size backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and NKRO
  • HP Wide Vision FHD Camera with Dual Digital Microphone
  • 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
Price: $2940
Thanks Rubik!

Members online

Forum statistics