Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Image Pixilation (H Plus)

Reaction score
Recently, while in flight and filming, I had the image on my screen go through some wild jumping around gyrations, where the picture was disturbed by considerable pixilation, so much so that the image wasn't usable. In both cases it didn't last more than maybe 10 disturbing seconds. The drone is almost one year old. I'd not seen that happen before. Both were in different locations but the same basic area where I've flown before and not had this occur. I could see nothing nearby that would pose an electromagnetic disturbance. In neither case was the drone very far away. I was facing the drone at the time. In one instance though, the drone was more or less directly above me and I wondered if that would/should present an issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Right now, this appears to be an outlier problem, one-offs or simply some kind of glitch. In both cases the video image re-stabilized. If I hear that others have, on occasion experienced that, it might make me feel a bit better.

Recently, while in flight and filming, I had the image on my screen go through some wild jumping around gyrations, where the picture was disturbed by considerable pixilation, so much so that the image wasn't usable. In both cases it didn't last more than maybe 10 disturbing seconds. The drone is almost one year old. I'd not seen that happen before. Both were in different locations but the same basic area where I've flown before and not had this occur. I could see nothing nearby that would pose an electromagnetic disturbance. In neither case was the drone very far away. I was facing the drone at the time. In one instance though, the drone was more or less directly above me and I wondered if that would/should present an issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Right now, this appears to be an outlier problem, one-offs or simply some kind of glitch. In both cases the video image re-stabilized. If I hear that others have, on occasion experienced that, it might make me feel a bit better.
Flying directly above your head with the mushroom antenna can be the source of the drone and controller signals being cut off. The mushroom antenna is omnidirectional and doesn't send any signal in the direction of flat part.

Having a cell phone in your pocket can also disturb the video signal significant, I usually put my phone in airplane mode when flying with the added benefit of not being distracted by it when flying [emoji16]

Reactions: DCH and Steve Carr
Flying directly above your head with the mushroom antenna can be the source of the drone and controller signals being cut off. The mushroom antenna is omnidirectional and doesn't send any signal in the direction of flat part.

Having a cell phone in your pocket can also disturb the video signal significant, I usually put my phone in airplane mode when flying with the added benefit of not being distracted by it when flying [emoji16]

I will try to avoid standing beneath it when it's hovering. Probably not a good idea anyway, were it to drop out of the sky. I've always flown with my cellphone in my pocket, out of habit and it's never been an issue but there's certainly no reason why I can't do as you suggest. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: mbernholdt
I have had this anomaly happen on one occasion when it was less than 100' away but over water. Increasing altitude seemed to restore the signal. I've also had this happen with the H when flying at a distance and descending below the tree line even though the trees were well past the H.

I have had this anomaly happen on one occasion when it was less than 100' away but over water. Increasing altitude seemed to restore the signal. I've also had this happen with the H when flying at a distance and descending below the tree line even though the trees were well past the H.

Yes good observations. Once was over water, during the filming of the sunset I posted recently. Of course that footage was not used. As I think about it, I have probably had that happen at a distance with trees (my flying) being the culprit as well, now that you mention it. I truly do try to avoid that. Hitting return home is what has saved me in those situations. These last instances I posted about didn't fit that situation however.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The pixelation usually only occurs on the controller screen and does not extend to the SD card. It’s an RF transmission/reception issue, not an image capture/record issue.

The pixelation usually only occurs on the controller screen and does not extend to the SD card. It’s an RF transmission/reception issue, not an image capture/record issue.

You are correct. I had it happen again tonight, at a considerable distance. At first the controls weren't responding either. The altitude was max and about 1,500 ft away. When I tried to bring it back it wasn't responding for a bit. I was about ready to hit the Return To Home switch when it finally connected again and I was able to easy the drone back to a better connection.

True. However, when flying in tight quarters with trees, water and variable wind I have learned not to trust my depth perception. The camera view gives me better information than my eyesight in close proximity to branches even when it's just 100-200' away.

Yes good observations. Once was over water, during the filming of the sunset I posted recently. Of course that footage was not used. As I think about it, I have probably had that happen at a distance with trees (my flying) being the culprit as well, now that you mention it. I truly do try to avoid that. Hitting return home is what has saved me in those situations. These last instances I posted about didn't fit that situation however.

Merhlin,

In the thread, you are talking about pixelation on your ST16s video screen, correct?

Any chance you care to elaborate on your statement “...of course that footage was not used”? If indeed you are talking about your video feed during flight, your statement seems to imply you are using the recorded video “in your ST16s” rather than the video recorded to the memory card in your camera.

I am confused as to why anyone would do that, if indeed this is what you are using.

Thanks in advance for helping to clear up my uncertainty as to your techniques.

Also, good luck resolving your issue.

Jeff

Merhlin,

In the thread, you are talking about pixelation on your ST16s video screen, correct?

Any chance you care to elaborate on your statement “...of course that footage was not used”? If indeed you are talking about your video feed during flight, your statement seems to imply you are using the recorded video “in your ST16s” rather than the video recorded to the memory card in your camera.

I am confused as to why anyone would do that, if indeed this is what you are using.

Thanks in advance for helping to clear up my uncertainty as to your techniques.

Also, good luck resolving your issue.

Jeff

I was in error to say that. I use the memory card. Sorry for the confusion. As another person here said, it does not affect the video, just the live stream seen on the controller screen.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
True. However, when flying in tight quarters with trees, water and variable wind I have learned not to trust my depth perception. The camera view gives me better information than my eyesight in close proximity to branches even when it's just 100-200' away.

Absolutely. I was mistaken to imply it affects the video itself. The big issue (for me) is that it inhibits what you see and therefore how you can fly.

Last edited:

Just making a video statement, nothing to excuse or justify the video RF issue.

Reactions: Merhlin
Absolutely. I was mistaken to imply it affects the video itself. The big issue (for me) is that it inhibits what you see and therefore how you can fly.
This is very curious. The conversation reminded me to go back and look at the video recorded on the ST16. I am puzzled now. There is no indication of the video breaking up. What was recorded on the ST16 is definitely not what I was seeing on the screen for a period of 15-20 seconds.

(edit) This was not accurate. It is explained further on post #23.

Last edited:
That would shift things from an RF issue to a data translation/delivery issue at the ST-16.

This is very curious. The conversation reminded me to go back and look at the video recorded on the ST16. I am puzzled now. There is no indication of the video breaking up. What was recorded on the ST16 is definitely not what I was seeing on the screen for a period of 15-20 seconds.

I want to get this right and am a bit confused. You're saying when you check the st16 sd card on flights that showed a video disconnect/pixelation on the st16 screen, that the sd card doesn't show a corresponding video interruption?

That's more than a little disturbing.

The video feed to the ST16 simply shows a lower resolution live feed of what the camera sees. The actual recording on the cameras sd card is will not be affected by an glitches that appear on the screen.

Whenever you record video there is also a recording on the ST16 that roughly matches the video on the card. The difference is the card is recording directly from the camera. The ST16 is recording from the wifi feed from the camera. So a glitch in the wifi will be evident on the ST16 recording but will not show up on the sd card video.

Worth mention is the ST-16 does not usually have a card inserted for imagery storage. Even if it did the system would not record the imagery, or any other data, to the card as it was shot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop