Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

IMPORTANT!! Do not update H Plus firmware to build 743 dated 0108 (EDIT...NOW FIXED)

Peggy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I have been having a discussion with Steve Carr about some ideas I have upgrading and downgrading the H Plus.
Well today I took the plunge knowing there were vibration issues with the latest firmware to basically see if I could get out of the mess if I had the vibrations.
I did it and now I am totally screwed because of the stupid idea of OTA updates only. Note to self to not bloody tinker ever again.

I have just updated my H Plus to the latest firmware dated 0108 version 1.10 and build number 743
If you are in Europe and have an H Plus DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS FIRMWARE.

The gimble has an uncontrollable vibration affecting the camera when facing forward at zero degree. It now makes taking any video of any form useless until a firmware fix comes out. When facing downwards the vibration goes.
In the Yuneec forum this has been mentioned by most of the users on E firmware. If you are on C firmware for example anywhere in the world except Europe this problem does not exist.

Now being a kind of guy that likes to have a tinker I decided to upgrade to see if there was a way to downgrade if there is a problem. I own a 520 and E90 also and upgrading and downgrading is easy if there is an issue using .bin files to over ride the current settings. The C23 camera firmware is not a .bin file but a .yuneec executional file, therefore it does not work by inserting the file and changing its name to a .bin onto an sd card and inserting it into the C23 camera. This form of updating by only OTA is a complete joke and has now rendered my H Plus unusable and will most likely have to go back to yuneec to be fixed. Unless someone has the standalone .bin file for the C23 which I suspect no one has as its not been put out to download.

Also note on the screen of The ST16s that the drone is 60m away from me dropping to 38m when its about 20cm away from me.......Please Yuneec dont make this another complete cockup like the H520

Here is a link to a video showing the problem.

I have been having a discussion with Steve Carr about some ideas I have upgrading and downgrading the H Plus.
Well today I took the plunge knowing there were vibration issues with the latest firmware to basically see if I could get out of the mess if I had the vibrations.
I did it and now I am totally screwed because of the stupid idea of OTA updates only. Note to self to not bloody tinker ever again.

I have just updated my H Plus to the latest firmware dated 0108 version 1.10 and build number 743
If you are in Europe and have an H Plus DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS FIRMWARE.

The gimble has an uncontrollable vibration affecting the camera when facing forward at zero degree. It now makes taking any video of any form useless until a firmware fix comes out. When facing downwards the vibration goes.
In the Yuneec forum this has been mentioned by most of the users on E firmware. If you are on C firmware for example anywhere in the world except Europe this problem does not exist.

Now being a kind of guy that likes to have a tinker I decided to upgrade to see if there was a way to downgrade if there is a problem. I own a 520 and E90 also and upgrading and downgrading is easy if there is an issue using .bin files to over ride the current settings. The C23 camera firmware is not a .bin file but a .yuneec executional file, therefore it does not work by inserting the file and changing its name to a .bin onto an sd card and inserting it into the C23 camera. This form of updating by only OTA is a complete joke and has now rendered my H Plus unusable and will most likely have to go back to yuneec to be fixed. Unless someone has the standalone .bin file for the C23 which I suspect no one has as its not been put out to download.

Also note on the screen of The ST16s that the drone is 60m away from me dropping to 38m when its about 20cm away from me.......Please Yuneec dont make this another complete cockup like the H520

Here is a link to a video showing the problem.

We can only hope that Yuneec patches this update A.S.A.P.
Been in contact with Phillip at the Yuneec service center today he didn't have any news for me other than my camera had been handed over to a service technician and they were looking into the problem. The only good part of that is that they are aware of the issue now.

The .yuneec file extension is just a package and you can easily rename it to .zip and extract the files in the container on your computer, but it just reveals the folder structure and everything is encrypted only useful information in those files are the address for the update server which if entered in a browser can reveal all the previous and upcoming updates and giving us a hint of what future updates are bringing.

http://139.196.43.67:8080/firmwareset?typename=out-test-typhoonplus&limit=1 <--- Test firmware
http://139.196.43.67:8080/firmwareset?typename=test-typhoonplus&limit=1 <--- Test firmware
http://139.196.43.67:8080/firmwareset?typename=typhoonplus&limit=1 <--- Live firmware

Change limit number to higher value to see more than one :)

Last edited:
So am I reading this correctly? This update screwup will not affect the H + that are sold in the USA? If so why would that be? It sounds like one of the control motors in the gimbal is in some sort of rapid oscillation. I would think that would eventually burn out the motor, if that is the case.

In any event, with those of you with a substantial amount of experience with Yuneec, how long does it normally take to resolve issues of this nature? I am still toying with buying one of these beasts, but certainly not if this problem will affect me. Yes, I am in the USA.

In the past, Yuneec has occasionally come out with an update relatively quickly.... The late October 2016 update caused a lot of issues... if I remember the November update was maybe 3 weeks later. ** DISCLAIMER ** Like mutual funds, past performance does not guarantee future results.

I am also waiting on purchasing a Plus and one of several factors is the wish to wait out these 1st FW update growing pains. Like many others, the issue of having zero alternatives to OTA updates, as well as no viable procedures for doing a FW rollback is as much of a concern.

From what I can gather the vibration issue on affects the 'E' Europe version of the update. If only I could swop to the C rest of world firmware like I can with the H520. I am desperate for this to fixed asap as it is now like I said unusable in any way, Photo or video. I have tried to find the .bin file but cannot. If anyone has extracted this can they please let me know. It's well and truly hidden in the yuneec exec file.

In the past, Yuneec has occasionally come out with an update relatively quickly.... The late October 2016 update caused a lot of issues... if I remember the November update was maybe 3 weeks later. ** DISCLAIMER ** Like mutual funds, past performance does not guarantee future results.

I am also waiting on purchasing a Plus and one of several factors is the wish to wait out these 1st FW update growing pains. Like many others, the issue of having zero alternatives to OTA updates, as well as no viable procedures for doing a FW rollback is as much of a concern.
If you are actively shooting video, I would still recommending to purchase. I am in the process of rendering my first footage with the C23 and it is substantially improved over the CGO3. The raw footage has so much more information to work with. It probably is 4X as going from 1/2" to 1" sensor should provide.

I did upgrade initially, had the issue and exchanged for a new unit. I did not upgrade; no need at this point as the bird flies fantastic.

. . . .I did upgrade initially, had the issue and exchanged for a new unit. I did not upgrade; no need at this point as the bird flies fantastic.

Okay so just to clarify things: @Windluv is in the US AND also got the Gimbal issues, so I do not suspect that the problem is specific to the firmware. I think it is one of process, but will never know for sure. A number of us without any gimbal issues did the calibrations to our new Plus's Before the update as well as after.

For those with gimbal problems post 0801 update, question: Did any of you do the calibrations before the update?

I can confirm I have managed to upgrade and downgrade both controller firmware after a factory reset and also camera and gimble and now gone onto the C camera firmware and the vibrations are still there. I will tomorrow downgrade fully everything back to 1.08 version 0507

Reactions: Ty Pilot
For those with gimbal problems post 0801 update, question: Did any of you do the calibrations before the update?

I am in the US and did not do any calibrations prior to this FW update other than what had been done after the previous update. I thought I was good to go as I had not noticed or heard anything afterwards. Also did not detect any issues within videos taken.

Upon further inspection, at close range (within inches) of the gimbal, I hear what sounds like a fast “clicking” coming from the rear of the gimbal. I hadn’t noticed previously as I wear hearing aids that help me to hear sounds in the higher pitch range. These aids have directional microphones, and I couldn’t hear these sounds unless I picked the drone up and over my head. Without the aids on, I couldn’t hear this sound at all. These sounds may not be audible to all, even if the issue persists after this latest update, and to be consistent, I could not feel any vibrations either.

I did go through my pics and videos that were done after the update, and although I don’t use my H+ for videography, I did not see anything that stood out to me as being “ shaky or awfull” footage. I was hoping to hear this sound but remembered as I was watching back, someone saying that there is no audio in the video file, which makes sense. Hoping some of this make sense to those with more experience than I.

Last edited:
So today I returned my H Pro to get the H plus and before reading online, I upgraded my firmware on the plus and now my camera gimbal is also buzzing when it wasn't before prior to the upgrade. This is frustrating as I returned my H Pro after having it for 2 days because the ST16 controller kept showing it was charging when it wasn't plugged in. So I figured I would spend the extra money to upgrade to the Plus and now another problem. I'm also located in the US.

*I did not do the calibration before the firmware upgrade. Also, my camera is no longer showing a firmware version number even though the controller connects to it. Anyone else have this problem?

Right. Latest update. I have managed to extract all the separate files to gain access to the gimble.bin file. Everything is on latest update 1.10 except the gimble which is on 1.08 and I have no vibration. Many thanks to @mbernholdt for explaining how to turn the exec file into a zip to see the files and extract the gimble.bin
I did reset the controller to factory and had to install all software separately which then took me back to 1.08 I then downgraded the Plus back to 1.08 and then let it update via OTA as per normal. I installed C version software to the camera but the vibration was still there, so all I did was downgrade the gimble back to 1.08 and viola no vibration but latest firmware for everything else.
Of course next update will over ride all this and hopefully find a fix. However if there are anymore issues at least I now know I can upgrade and downgrade as I wish.
I do hope this post and answers will be of help to all.
If you wish to know anymore please feel free to ask.

Chris

Right. Latest update. I have managed to extract all the separate files to gain access to the gimble.bin file. Everything is on latest update 1.10 except the gimble which is on 1.08 and I have no vibration. Many thanks to @mbernholdt for explaining how to turn the exec file into a zip to see the files and extract the gimble.bin
I did reset the controller to factory and had to install all software separately which then took me back to 1.08 I then downgraded the Plus back to 1.08 and then let it update via OTA as per normal. I installed C version software to the camera but the vibration was still there, so all I did was downgrade the gimble back to 1.08 and viola no vibration but latest firmware for everything else.
Of course next update will over ride all this and hopefully find a fix. However if there are anymore issues at least I now know I can upgrade and downgrade as I wish.
I do hope this post and answers will be of help to all.
If you wish to know anymore please feel free to ask.

Chris
Thank you for this information, some details if possible:
- when you reset your ST16S, what files do you have in the yuneecOTA folder and the app folder?
"so I was downgraded the gimble back to 1.08"
- If I understood correctly, you place the file of the 1.08 bin in the SD card or you put it in the file of the 1.10?
How then do you transfer this modified file into C23?
I may have missed something, but my English is poor ...

@Peggy it would be awesome if you could write a detailed guide. I'm guessing alot of users would benefit from this.
Glad I could help [emoji16]

Reactions: oliver and Peggy
Ok so here comes the detailed instructions on how to upgrade and downgrade the H Plus.

Firstly you need to make sure you download each update as it comes through so that you can copy the files from the 'Yuneec OTA' folder when connected to a PC or Mac via the ST16S.
I saved the very first version 1.08 and also 1.10, I therefore have 2 different types of files to play with.
These are saved as a .Yuneec EXEC file. All of the files that are needed are in these exec files.

To access the files needed copy the exec file so you leave the original alone and then rename the last part .yuneec to .zip, unzip the folder and inside the folder will be 4 files
autopilot.yuneec
camera.bin
gimble.yuneec
versioninfo.json------------this file is not needed

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.03.03.png

Format an sd card into FAT32 so it is completely clean and then drag either the camera.bin to upgrade/downgrade the camera firmware or the gimble.yuneec to upgrade/downgrade the gimble firmware.
Do each file individually one at a time, do not put all the files onto the card at the same time.
Autopilot file you not need to do unless you have wiped off the autopilot from the controller/camera

Insert sd card into the C23 and switch on the H Plus (do not have the controller switched on during this process)
Wait until the camera light goes green and then just to make sure it has finished leave for another 5 minutes

Switch off the H Plus and insert a normal sd card that has been formatted previously in the H Plus, wait for a full boot and then switch on the ST16S to check the file has been up or downgraded.
You cannot check that the gimble has been successful but in my case the vibration has now stopped so I can assume 1.08 did in fact take the downgrade.

To double check I re updated using this method back to gimble 1.10 and the vibration came back, I then downgraded back to 1.08 and viola vibration had gone.

Hope this explains the process good enough.

Chris

Last edited:
Thank you for this information, some details if possible:
- when you reset your ST16S, what files do you have in the yuneecOTA folder and the app folder?
"so I was downgraded the gimble back to 1.08"
- If I understood correctly, you place the file of the 1.08 bin in the SD card or you put it in the file of the 1.10?
How then do you transfer this modified file into C23?
I may have missed something, but my English is poor ...

@oliver
When you follow the process above any file that is already in the C23 will get over written automatically by the file on the sd card.

As for the controller using the above process extract the file that starts CONTROLLER in the exec file, this will then show you an update.zip file, put that onto an sd card thats been formatted to FAT32 and insert in sd card slot on the ST16S.
navigate to the android 'ABOUT' menu and you will see at the very top 'update from sd card' tap that and the ST16S will start the over writing process to up or downgrade flight control 2.0
The same process needs to be done if you reset the ST16S back to factory settings.

Unlike the H520 ST16S there is no image on the hard drive of the controller to reinstall at factory level, the files are all seperate.
So be warned if you havent saved the files before you reset the St16S you have no way of getting the Flightcontrol 2.0 APK

Hope this answered your question buddy

Ok so here comes the detailed instructions on how to upgrade and downgrade the H Plus.

Firstly you need to make sure you download each update as it comes through so that you can copy the files from the 'Yuneec OTA' folder when connected to a PC or Mac via the ST16S.
I saved the very first version 1.08 and also 1.10, I therefore have 2 different types of files to play with.
These are saved as a .Yuneec EXEC file. All of the files that are needed are in these exec files.

To access the files needed copy the exec file so you leave the original alone and then rename the last part .yuneec to .zip, unzip the folder and inside the folder will be 4 files
autopilot.yuneec
camera.bin
gimble.yuneec
versioninfo.json------------this file is not needed

View attachment 10901

Format an sd card into FAT32 so it is completely clean and then drag either the camera.bin to upgrade/downgrade the camera firmware or the gimble.yuneec to upgrade/downgrade the gimble firmware.

Insert sd card into the C23 and switch on the H Plus (do not have the controller switched on during this process)
Wait until the camera light goes green and then just to make sure it has finished leave for another 5 minutes

Switch off the H Plus and insert a normal sd card that has been formatted previously in the H Plus, wait for a full boot and then switch on the ST16S to check the file has been up or downgraded.
You cannot check that the gimble has been successful but in my case the vibration has now stopped so I can assume 1.08 did in fact take the downgrade.

To double check I re updated using this method back to gimble 1.10 and the vibration came back, I then downgraded back to 1.08 and viola vibration had gone.

Hope this explains the process good enough.

Chris
Thank's very much
you copy on the SD card only "camera.bin"? or the 3 files:
autopilot.yuneec
camera.bin
Gimble.Yuneec

Thank's very much
you copy on the SD card only "camera.bin"? or the 3 files:
autopilot.yuneec
camera.bin
Gimble.Yuneec

Each file individually, and upgrade one at a time

No need to use the autopilot. yuneec file either
Just the camera and/or gimble files.

But in this case of the vibration issue its only the gimble file you need over ride

Reactions: oliver
Each file individually, and upgrade one at a time

No need to use the autopilot. yuneec file either
Just the camera and/or gimble files.

But in this case of the vibration issue its only the gimble file you need over ride

Ok, so we do the operation in 3 times ?
or for vibrations only the gimbal.yuneec file is needed?

@oliver
When you follow the process above any file that is already in the C23 will get over written automatically by the file on the sd card.

As for the controller using the above process extract the file that starts CONTROLLER in the exec file, this will then show you an update.zip file, put that onto an sd card thats been formatted to FAT32 and insert in sd card slot on the ST16S.
navigate to the android 'ABOUT' menu and you will see at the very top 'update from sd card' tap that and the ST16S will start the over writing process to up or downgrade flight control 2.0
The same process needs to be done if you reset the ST16S back to factory settings.

Unlike the H520 ST16S there is no image on the hard drive of the controller to reinstall at factory level, the files are all seperate.
So be warned if you havent saved the files before you reset the St16S you have no way of getting the Flightcontrol 2.0 APK

Hope this answered your question buddy

Ok thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430