Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Info needed

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any floatation device for flying over water incase the drone crashes over water. DJI has this and it looks like a great help>

No, what he is asking for is a device to stay above water.
This one is too late, he has already made the submarine ...................

If the copter crashes it's a good chance it will hit the water at some angle preventing the floats from being effective anyway, I've seen videos of crashes in water the copter stays afloat for a short while then sinks, landing on water in a controlled fashion maybe successful, but there's always a chance it might tip over too. So more than likely you'll need the recovery device listed or stay away from water if your not comfortable.

You can design and 3D print some hollow pontoons to slip over the feet where the foam bumpers slide on. similar to a plane with the same for landing on water.
Not really going to help with the landing in general, but at least she will not sink! Try these, Pontoon Landing Skid by pauljs75 but will need to be scaled up or down for your machine

And fellas, I have never met a guy named JESSICA!
Jessica, Our apologies;)

Last edited:
You can design and 3D print some hollow pontoons to slip over the feet where the foam bumpers slide on. similar to a plane with the same for landing on water.
Not really going to help with the landing in general, but at least she will not sink! Try these, Pontoon Landing Skid by pauljs75 but will need to be scaled up or down for your machine

And fellas, I have never met a guy named JESSICA!
Jessica, Our apologies;)
What about the spinning props? Won't they be quite large to float the copter, or interference with the camera view?

That's why I suggested to design ones specifically for your machine. I would assume to use the ones I forwarded to you and make your own mounts that keep them in between the two legs, so when they fold up will not be an issue for the props because they would be on the bottom side of the folded arms. Remember to keep weight in mind as well..

Anyone trying to create floats that fit the landing skids will have to make them long enough to extend well beyond both fore and aft sides of the aircraft’s center of gravity. If the floats only equal the length of the skids the aircraft will tip over shortly after is touches down. If the water surface is anything less than glass smooth the tip over will occur faster. To get an idea just look at the floats on winged aircraft.

A better approach would be to make boom floats and accept the camera will end up submerged after a water landing.

The legs are already wide enough to support it weight side to side. And weight is not an issue either as most drones weight little to nothing. The difference will be having the floats long enough to extend front to back to prevent tipping. It can easily be done, just depends on the persons skill level.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal