Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Interesting UK Drone Accident Report

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Although the reports are specific to the DJI Matrice 200 series there is considerable data present that should be of interest to anyone that flies quads, and those that want to fly in the rain.

For DJI users, the reported number of failed motors or ESC's with the Matrice 200 is something to be aware of. The number of battery firmware issues is also quite serious. Also important is the moisture indicator for the failed motor had been activated despite DJI's certification test data suggesting it should not have.

AAIB investigation into DJI Matrice 210, (UAS, registration n/a) 16 March 2019 - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

https://assets.publishing.service.g...DJI_Matrice_210_UAS_registration_na_01-20.pdf

Looking at the incident locations, they all seem to be in the UK. That might suggest that only UK incidents are being used to generate incident data. Countries where government does not mandate incident reporting may well not be represented, inferring the number of incidents could be considerably larger than what has been reflected by the reported data.

In any case, the data certainly presents a strong case for using 6 or more rotors to provide propulsion redundancy in commercial operations. As the Matrice series is a pretty high priced system, with relatively few systems in use compared to consumer level systems, we might expect a considerably more robust propulsion system than what is represented to assure flight safety for commercial applications. There’s also room to debate the efficacy of proprietary battery designs.

Reactions: Robert from Danmark
Get the FAA to ban quads. That will put the cat amongst the pigeons! Bet Yuneec would still mess up.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
Yuneec is much like a Professional Engineer I once knew. Brilliant guy, and had to be to earn PFE status. But he made some mistakes and lost a very well compensated job. Rather than admit his errors he remained obstinate and refused to change or improve himself. Last I knew he hasn’t been able to obtain employment over the last 10 years.

By refusing to admit to himself he made errors he chose to starve and live in poverty. Much like Yuneec has been doing since 2016.

I saw a piece about that on BBC Breakfast this morning. 'Parently the copper that was flying it had to shout a warning to people that he was flying over.
It was much easier in "Dixon of Dock Greens" time.

Looking at the incident locations, they all seem to be in the UK. That might suggest that only UK incidents are being used to generate incident data. Countries where government does not mandate incident reporting may well not be represented, inferring the number of incidents could be considerably larger than what has been reflected by the reported data.
It is mandatory in the UK for all professional UAV operators to report all incidents where injury or damage to property could have been the outcome to the Civil Aviation Authority. It's not the first time I've heard of problems with the Matrice. I'd steer well clear of the that particular model.

I do fly some DJI products but not the Matrice. I try not to fly over people or property with a quad for exactly the reason that you eluded to. However, I feel much more comfortable flying over property with the H but still try to avoid flying over people where possible. There's a lot to be said for having 6 motors and that all important motor redundancy....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval