Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is it really necessary to perform fw and/or Sw updates??

Reaction score
I've 3 drones, never made any update of firmware or software, because I'm afraid of brick them, as too often happens.
I'm moderator of an Italian forum, and frequently I read there (here too...) about troubles after updates, many times without being able to restore previous condition.
My question is: why people perform continuously updates?
If the drone flies without any problem, why take the risk?
Are updated really necessary?
What do you think about?
Any opinion is welcome...

Reactions: TyphoonAddict
My question is: why people perform continuously updates?
If the drone flies without any problem, why take the risk?
Are updated really necessary?
1. Hope to be happier dies the last;
2. Hope to have better for the money paid. Apple&Google young generation. Most of the people avoid questions, they want to get answers, prepared by the factory/government/some smart people in the worst-case scenario,
3. Of course - not. If your machine works with all of your expectations, any update will give nothing more for you. If you know about a new feature in the next update, you're sure you will use it., you're sure you can revert to the previous version ... why not try, exactly? If any of the questions in the list is marked as no or IDK, it better is to do nothing.

Another point of view about the updates is to see how the concurrency thinks and to steal something. But this is for advanced users, who are not a lot inside the drone owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pier2162
As long as I have no issues and I'm happy as things are, I won't even ponder the thought of looking for updates for fear of bricking and most times it may be unnecessary. And may I add, I'm not into tech stuff as far as downloading and updating because it could be a hassle if you don't know what you are doing. I would seek out someone that knows how to run programs and updating so I know it's done right.

Last edited:
It depends on the model you are flying. The Q500 and H480 haven't had any updates for several years. But I always make sure those models have the latest firmware when I repair one. Many features were added with the updates that are worth the effort.

The last update for the H Plus added the zoom feature for the camera. Nice.

The H520 continues to have occasional updates. It is best to wait a month or two so any problems are uncovered by other users.

Nearly any update can be replaced by an earlier version. While some people have had problems with updating, I'm not aware of any that could not be corrected. Posting a problem in this forum will generate the help needed for a fix.

I wait until there is a reason that can be documented with other users and a validated fix.

I built an F450 drone with the cheapest parts I could find. The Tarot FC and GPS puck worked great until the compass quit working. The replacement puck was a newer version and required a FW upgrade for the FC. What a nightmare after that. To this day it has become unreliable. I could fly 2 batteries and the third would fly away. Sometimes right away one or two motors would randomly stop or go insane with no inputs.
Some day I'll get around to replacing the FC with something else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco