Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Jerky video using a micro SD Card

Reaction score
Being new to a Yuneec H hexcopter I learn new things every day. Yesterday I inserted a newly formatted PNY Elite-X micro SD card with 128GB of storage in the camera and playing the video back found that the video was jerky with several multi second pauses between times when the video would pick up again and display normally.

I'm thinking that the pauses may be due to the large storage size of the SD Card. Would a video card with less storage still exhibit this behavior? Do different cards have different transfer speeds, what are they, and what would be the minimum transfer speed for the camera that comes with the Typhoon H?

If you are shooting 4K you want an SD card with U3 written on it, although I note within interest that my regular class 10's also cope fine with that. But all my cards are no more than 32GB.
If your card is U3 DTR then it might be the size of the card. I know for a fact that the ST-16 is more likely to fail firmware updates if you use any card larger than 16GB to do the update, but I have not heard of a problem with bigger cards in the camera myself, but then I haven't been flying an H very long, so others may have a different experience...

If you are shooting 4K you want an SD card with U3 written on it, although I note within interest that my regular class 10's also cope fine with that. But all my cards are no more than 32GB.
Since I started using this 4K capable computer a few days ago I went back to some 4K footage shot a few months ago using a regular class 10 card. When I previously edited it and rendered it out to 1080 I could see that it wasn't silky smooth and I put that down to the card. The other day I did another render from the same footage and output it at 4K. I couldn't believe how smooth it was, so it would appear (at least for that footage) the regular class 10 card was up to it. The not-so-smooth video was down to my previous computer and not the card.

BTW. I'm using a U3 32Gig card now but I intend to shoot some more 4K footage using the regular class 10 card and see if I still get a smooth edit.

The other day I did another render from the same footage and output it at 4K. I couldn't believe how smooth it was, so it would appear (at least for that footage) the regular class 10 card was up to it. The not-so-smooth video was down to my previous computer and not the card.

BTW. I'm using a U3 32Gig card now but I intend to shoot some more 4K footage using the regular class 10 card and see if I still get a smooth edit.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I have 2 PCs, one slightly older, and that one just couldn't play it back smoothly. But the machine next door to it was newer and better, and like you, I was getting silky smooth out of that. But, due to my lack of 4K monitor, unwieldy file sizes, and preferring 60FPS over higher resolution, I find myself generally pretty content with 1080P60 for now...

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I have 2 PCs, one slightly older, and that one just couldn't play it back smoothly. But the machine next door to it was newer and better, and like you, I was getting silky smooth out of that. But, due to my lack of 4K monitor, unwieldy file sizes, and preferring 60FPS over higher resolution, I find myself generally pretty content with 1080P60 for now...
Well, I was happy in the habit of filming at 1080-30fps while using my old laptop. But having seen the superior quality coming out of this new computer I intent to shoot at 4K using the TH from now on. (my other aircraft will only go up to HD so I'll have to continue with 1080 with that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots