Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Jumpin on the Drone wagon :)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My daughter asked me about doing some commercial drone photography for her real estate job so I have been researching options that I could present to her. I really like these Yuneec Drones, which is what brought me here ... the Typhoon H series looks like a fantastic solution for us.

I live in Chicago which is known as the Windy City so being able to handle 20+ mph winds is important. So after looking and reading and studying some more, decided that the Typhoon H Pro is the solution. Then she also wanted a 20m pixel camera for quality stills. The more I look, the Typhoon H Plus seems to have all the things i really needed for programming POI and CCC, good stability and camera control, and working in colder weather with higher winds.

THEN today i started looking at the 520 and the DataPilot software. That's some amazing tech going on there that's only gonna get better and maybe I should just get that because DataPilot doesn't work with the Typhoon H Plus. But that is way overkill for taking some still pictures of buildings. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but i DEFINITELY need to sleep on it again because its not a cheap investment.

See ya around the forums ... o7

Here's a way to look at it.
If all you plan to do is photography/videos, real estate, etc. then the Typhoon H Plus is a good way to go.
If you plan to get into mapping, 3D models, etc. then the 520 is a better way to go.

Reactions: NemesisChiken
Do yourself a favor, skip the TH Plus and get yourself an H520 and or Typhoon H/Pro.

Typhoon H series looks like a fantastic solution for us.
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have any prior experience. If not, I suggest you pick up a good used Typhoon H. You can often find them in the $550-650 range. It would be a good learning tool and less investment to crash. One advantage of the H is the ability to remove the camera to learn. There is also a simulator for $40 that you can practice with on your computer using the actual controller. After you feel comfortable flying the H then you can consider other options.
I presume you know about the FAA part 107 requirement to fly commercially.

Here's a way to look at it.
If all you plan to do is photography/videos, real estate, etc. then the Typhoon H Plus is a good way to go.
If you plan to get into mapping, 3D models, etc. then the 520 is a better way to go.

Hi Phaedrus,

That's my struggling point. Right now all there is real estate stuff, but there is so much construction and agriculture around here that I might be able to leverage my investment better with the 520 surveying farms.

I'd be real interested in hearing if and how others are using their drones in a commercial manner.

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have any prior experience ... I presume you know about the FAA part 107 requirement to fly commercially.
Hi Steve,

I've messed around with RC toys for many years but nothing anywhere near this price range, great thought about removing the camera while practicing. I have been a PC Flight Sim addict for 30 years, so i have a lot of experience and fundamental understanding of flying. I read a post about the SIM for the ST16. Will it work with the ST16S?

I got myself registered (just need the drone VIN) and started the 107 license process already, thanks :)

Will it work with the ST16S?
The H and H520 controller is supported for the simulator. I have not tried the H Plus controller but I've seen no information that it is supported currently. The H, H Plus and H520 each have different software which is designed for the specific use of the model.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your decision on platform.

As all of us, we have our opinions... just opinions with a dash of experience mixed in... experience you’ll gain rapidly! I got my H-Pro when the H520 wasn’t dialed in nicely, had several issues and the H-Plus wasn’t even hinted.

With 3 models now available, my small opinion would be the H-Plus or H520. Basically the same physical platform, different Firmware & electronics that effect the available scope of platform. The H520 is pricy, but often found on this forum or eBay for a discounted price. The H520 is currently the only one the 3rd party developers are adopting for autonomous & mapping tools. The H-Plus has it’s strengths more focused on your intended path, Realty.

Having flown the H-Pro, H920 and H520... among several other platforms, the H520 easily out flies the H-Pro. If the Plus shares the traits of the 520, which I understand it does, it too would be much smother. Take-off & landing have been heavily discussed in multiple threads for the H-Pro.. which can present a challenge. The H520 take-off & landings in my minimal experience have been no issue... takes off smooth, lands & powers off with ease; may be my imagination but I also feel the 520 is more stable and controls more precisely to stick movement in the air.

Cost is a factor since major differences between the models. Personally, I purchase the desired craft and slowly become accustomed to the craft to reduce the likelihood of a crash. Purchasing a “Trainer Aircraft” to protect against a crash is money I’d rather spend on gear or batteries. You’ll most likely end up with more than 1 craft, purchase a lower cost aircraft you can use in addition to your main. Like a Parrot Anafi for tasks performed safer or more comfortably with a much smaller craft... I think Anafi (Spark, etc) can be found rather low cost and would provide the basic RC fundamentals.

Good Luck and enjoy... it’s a fun bug to catch!

Last edited:
Thanks Doug!

Well I finally made a decision and pulled the trigger on a H520 :)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and words of wisdom. I was able to get a "new" one on eBay which really helped out on the budget and will arrive next week. I'm really excited and looking forward to getting involved in this industry. Everything I have seen and read leads me to believe this is just the beginning of this and the possibilities are bountiful.

A happy H520 owner :)

Congrats to the new adventure and selection of H520.
I’d agree, in many ways you’re jumping in on the youthful side of the industry and it’s growth & opportunities haven’t even been fully recognized... new prospects of specialty every month introduced.

Now comes the list of accessories you didn’t imagine, and for a short bit, the more ya learn the more accessories you’ll justify!

In your experience, why would you say skip the H Plus. I guess I was mistaken and thought that you liked the H Plus
Do yourself a favor, skip the TH Plus and get yourself an H520 and or Typhoon H/Pro.

In your experience, why would you say skip the H Plus. I guess I was mistaken and thought that you liked the H Plus

I’ve documented and shared my thoughts on here. As a construction drone operator each season or months doc percentages goes up, and my H Plus is not able to elevate me.

I’ve manually mapped using my TH Plus, it has been my workhorse since August 19, 2018. Presently this season it’s flying less.

A professional try to hold your controller.
Ahhh, sleepy eyes... first thought suggestion was to be professional... then realized "tray".

RC retention - tray, various straps, etc

Some look at
Chargers that include discharging option, IR measurement, or ability to handle 2 or more.

Handheld battery checker

Wind measurement instruments

Audio measurements

Adding improved identification:
- Colored Landing gear foam

Antenna mods:
- On platform
- on RC

Software
- photo editing
- video editing
- mapping
- 3D graphics
- Ag tools

Many unique options: mounts, cameras, thermo, multispectral

On the exploratory side, question benifit
- carbon props

Tools don't always have to be justified
Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions Doug, just what i was looking for !
Ahhh, sleepy eyes... first thought suggestion was to be professional... then realized "tray".
Including a bit of professionalism is a good thing too :)

Some look at Chargers that include discharging option, IR measurement, or ability to handle 2 or more.
There was a big 4 battery charger that looked nice, but not sure how many batteries I'll need to do simple real estate shots. If/when I get into bigger projects then I'll address power management more seriously. I did read that these are not smart batteries and need a little extra management

Audio measurements
What kind of audio measurements? I did read some hype that the H520 has gotten quieter with latest generation.

Adding improved identification:
- Colored Landing gear foam
What do you think about a landing pad?
Do the camera's pick up a lot of dust from launches and landings?
Would it auto-return to that reliably?

Software
- mapping
- 3D graphics
- Ag tools
I have been looking into Pix4D for what it brings to the table for mapping and surveys. What are "Ag tools"?
I live in rural area with a lot of farms around here, I'm hoping there might be some opportunities there. But, I need to do a lot more research on Agricultural Systems and talk to some farmers around here.

Many unique options: mounts, cameras, thermo, multispectral
I got the H520 w/CGOet - might have to get another camera if this one doesn't do good with the real estate selfies

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval