Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing bounce, especially when set to home.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

First time caller. Whenever I land, regardless of terrain I seem to get a substantial bouncing which on occasion has led to my 'phoon topping over and killing the 2 rear rotors. I'm concerned this will have a long-term impact on the motors.

Is this a common concern, am I just a bad pilot, or is there a something I can tweak to reduce this?

Thanks!

Hi everyone.

First time caller. Whenever I land, regardless of terrain I seem to get a substantial bouncing which on occasion has led to my 'phoon topping over and killing the 2 rear rotors. I'm concerned this will have a long-term impact on the motors.

Is this a common concern, am I just a bad pilot, or is there a something I can tweak to reduce this?

Thanks!
Whenever you land on a reasonably level surface that isn't too rough and without too strong a wind it should be possible to have a nice clean and smooth landing (see the last few seconds of the linked video below) so long as your aircraft is landing vertically (straight down) and with no lateral movement. Be aware that turbulence generated from the prop thrust 'bouncing' from the landing surface as you approach that surface can adversely effect the stability of the aircraft which can generate some lateral movement without input from the pilot to an extent that the aircraft can have enough momentum to cause it to tip over once contact is made with the surface.

Bouncing the aircraft will not do it any good: It will put strain on the landing gear, gimbal mount, and continual bouncing will tend to generally put strain on the overall integrity of the aircraft.. A firm landing is good enough but if it bounces then there is room for improvement in the landing.

The landing in this video (from time 2:55) I call a fairly good landing and should be obtainable.

Reactions: rdonson
Nicely done! Both video and the smooth landing.

One thing that helps me with smooth landings is making sure the final descent is in “Turtle” speed. It also took me a while to become smooth with the sticks and to make sure that there was no left or right in the stick in the down stick motion.

I hand catch over 90 percent of the time, and manual land the H with the red stop button technique. It is not a graceful lander, she needs help. I had a flip over in the wind and scratched a prop. I wasn't happy I had a record going on props not getting busted up or chipped for over a year. Had to use the spares. So i don't let her make that choice anymore, lol

Only other thing I can think to add is:
Landing is a commitment. When you go to land, and the skids contact the ground, you MUST HOLD THE LEFT STICK FULL DOWN. Do not apply any right stick input.
Do not let go until the aircraft has settled and the motors idle. If at anytime you ever so slightly let up on the stick the aircraft will bounce.
Also just be ready to lift off again should you feel the landing/touch down is going bad. 98% of the time my landings are nice and smooth, now and then I have to touch and go.

Davey,

Good landings are more a matter of understanding how the system works, technique, and smooth thumbs than anything else. One way to get a bounce every time is to allow it to land itself in RTH mode. The H doesn't know where the ground is and RTH just drives the aircraft to the ground until it makes contact, bounces, and continues to drive it down. Sort of like driving your car into a garage with a bump pole at the end and letting your car idle up to and into the pole without hitting the brakes. If using RTH to get back and land just take it out of RTH before it gets to the ground and land it manually.

A second way to assure a bounced landing is to manually land it and drive it all the way to the ground. Doing that has the H descending at maximum vertical descent speed and it will hit the ground pretty hard, causing it to bounce. Even if you let off the throttle during a landing descent the H will bounce upon touchdown unless you stop the aircraft a couple feet above the ground and hover for a few seconds. The hover bleeds off the momentum accumulated during the descent. Great landings just require a touch of planning by allowing for a little room to stop and hover just above the ground before landing and using only the minimum reduced throttle necessary to bring the H the rest of the way to the ground. As others mentioned, once it's on the ground hold the throttle stick back against the stop. Do not just let go of the throttle stick after touchdown as the H may leap back into the air when the throttle stick passes above the neutral point from return spring tension.

The H does not need a flat, smooth surface to take off and land but it does need someone that understands how to take off and land to do them well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech