Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing gear detached and fell off.

Reaction score
Yesterday approximately 3 minutes after takeoff the right landing gear of my Q500 4k fell off. The wind was 10mph at the most. Fortunately the bird was just about 40 or 50 feet high and no more than 30 fett away from me. I saw where it fell and was able to retrieve it. I was concerned at the moment that the drone could lose stability but it didn't. I was able to land it by grabbing it with one hand by the remaining landing gear and then turning it off with the other hand. That saved the day. I think it is a good idea to tighten all the accessible screws on the drone from time to time. I have flown this drone more than 20 times I think. I own 3 typhoons 4k and I try to fly all of them alternately. I am posting this in an effort to save some headaches to someone else. Cheers!!

The screws will come loose with over time and lots of flights. It's another good reason to keep the props balanced to reduce vibration.

Hmm glad you mentioned this, I have 76 flights (3 1/2 months) never did think about screw loosing up on landing gears.

The screws will come loose with over time and lots of flights. It's another good reason to keep the props balanced to reduce vibration.
I have heard before people talking about the need to balance the propellers. I didn't know that it was necessary to balance them since Yuneec doesn't mention the need to do that as a precaution anywhere in the owners manual. Can you please explain how can I achieve that, Steve? Thanks a lot for sharing with us your knowledge.

Hmm glad you mentioned this, I have 76 flights (3 1/2 months) never did think about screw loosing up on landing gears.
I never thought about it neither. Never crossed my mind that something like that would happen just by flying my drone. I mean, we all try not to crash or hard-land our birds for the odvious reasons, but landing gears falling off of drones just out of the blue? Doesn't make sense. I think it's an engineering flaw.

I have heard before people talking about the need to balance the propellers. I didn't know that it was necessary to balance them since Yuneec doesn't mention the need to do that as a precaution anywhere in the owners manual. Can you please explain how can I achieve that, Steve? Thanks a lot for sharing with us your knowledge.
I found that balancing the props made the Q much smoother and the video looked better as well. The OEM props are the best, but I still had to adjust about 50% of them to get them perfect. Over time the props will have a certain amount of wear just from dirt in the air or hitting bugs. That is enough to make them out of balance. If you watch the landing gear carefully in hover, many times you can see how it vibrates. That is what causes the screws to work loose. It's common with nearly all copters.

The best balancing rod I have found is the one below. To balance the props I use the same method shown in their picture. Place the rod across a water glass (it must be level) and you can see which side is heavy. I stick on a piece of scotch tape about half way up the light side on the bottom of the prop until I find the right size piece to make the prop sit perfectly horizontal. Avoid putting tape near the tips. Keep it no more than half way out on the prop.

Note the balancing rod is right hand threads on one end and left hand on the other end. Don't tighten them down. Just snug or you may ruin the rod.

Precision Prop Balancing ROD for YUNEEC Q500 Units

Reactions: BlueFighter8
I found that balancing the props made the Q much smoother and the video looked better as well. The OEM props are the best, but I still had to adjust about 50% of them to get them perfect. Over time the props will have a certain amount of wear just from dirt in the air or hitting bugs. That is enough to make them out of balance. If you watch the landing gear carefully in hover, many times you can see how it vibrates. That is what causes the screws to work loose. It's common with nearly all copters.

The best balancing rod I have found is the one below. To balance the props I use the same method shown in their picture. Place the rod across a water glass (it must be level) and you can see which side is heavy. I stick on a piece of scotch tape about half way up the light side on the bottom of the prop until I find the right size piece to make the prop sit perfectly horizontal. Avoid putting tape near the tips. Keep it no more than half way out on the prop.

Note the balancing rod is right hand threads on one end and left hand on the other end. Don't tighten them down. Just snug or you may ruin the rod.

Thank you for taking the time and providing such a very detailed and positive information. I will balance the props of my drones a soon as I have a chance. Cheers!!

Steve: I ordered one of these. If I add a piece of tape to a blade at about the halfway point and it looks like I need more tape should I just remove the old tape and apply a larger piece is the same place or double up or does it not make a difference.

The more tape you add in layers the more you disrupt the air flow over the prop making it inefficient.
Tape works for sure and I've done many that way.
Lately, I've been using drops of CA glue and it works pretty well too.

Added: BlueFighter8.... L.Q. Here. Not far :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me