Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Leaving a Battery fully charged

Reaction score
I can’t get my drone out due to wind and I have a fully charged battery. Basically it’s been fully charged for 4 Days and I need to know how long you can leave these things charged?

I would not leave mine charged for more than a week. I try to keep mine at storage voltage or about 50% of batteries fully charged voltage.
Even at storage voltage durring the winter I topped all of them off again to the 50% mark.

Reactions: Brenakie
Do you have a way to discharge it?
If not go outside turn it on with motors running, camera video on but do not fly, just pretend you're sitting on the tarmac waiting for ATC to give you clearance to fly, but inclement weather is hampering the go ahead.o_O:D;)

Thank you both for the advice - I will leave it running outside. Do you think it will be about 50% when the first warning shows?

That is going to be a tough call... if you can do it during a lull with the wind, lift off and check the voltage while in a hover. 14.4V under load, will bounce back close to 15.2V while at rest.

Since the first battery warning comes on at 11.2v on the Q500 that would put you about 40%. Even if it bounces back a tad you are still in range for storage.
As long as your close, not going make one bit of difference if you are off a bit.

Thanks, this has given me a better understanding of how the battery works. I’m going to fly when I get home as the wind has just dropped. Really appreciate all your help [emoji16][emoji1303]

I land at 10.8 volts. My battery's go up to about 11.3 volts when sitting for a few minutes. That's around storage charge. I always throw them on my charger for storage charge just to make sure cells are balanced, most of the time their fine and charger just shuts down.
Recap, just land around 10.8 and you'll be at storage charge in a few minutes as battery's cool and volts climb themselves to around 11.3.

@Agustine thanks for posting the chart, great help!! I found this clip, it explained a lot about LiPo battery storage. Learned a ton being new to LiPo's and all.

I recently picked up a Venom Pro Duo charger, I like it. Can't really compare it to anything else except the stock charger. Takes a bit to get used to all the settings, but you'll fly thru them before you know it! There are a lot of how-to videos but received my best advice from this site!

Thanks Agustine, they don’t ship to the uk but I will have a look else where. Weather is looking good for the weekend and I’m heading for the dock yard. Flying out to sea so should fingers crossed the tech inside this drone works reliably [emoji3]

I own 4 Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K birds and have scads of batteries. After getting the first one, I charged everything up right away before learning about this battery storage issue. I was able to successfully discharge the batts to 50% by removing the camera (did not want to burn in the optics while it sat there static on one object) and removing the props. I then went into the ST10, switched it to Angle mode and the slider to Rabbit. I then and turned on the cameraless Q500 and switched the GPS off on the ST10. Next, I hit the red button to start the motors, and then pushed the left stick all the way forward and released it. This last step made the motors "idle" at a higher speed and thus discharge faster. The ST10 permits you to keep track of the discharge level of the batt on the right side of the ST10 screen. Once it hit 50%, I switched off the drone, removed the battery, and moved to the next one. I did find that in some cases I had to push the left stick forward a few times during the discharge. One side note, you will have to plug the ST10 into a charger during this process if you have very many batteries. It did not care if it was plugged in or not. Worked great with no problems. Does take some time. You will have to switch the GPS off again every time you change the batt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval