Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lens cover for C23?

Reaction score
I'm not well informed about photography stuff. Yuneec say the lens is 40.5mm and I've measured mine to be that. Does that mean I need a lens cover of that size, so as this one?

As jb57 states, the lens of the C23 is in fact a 39mm lens and; Yuneec does supply a 40.5 mm adapter ring but since you mentioned you don't know much about photography stuff I would add that typical camera lenses (DSLR's, Point-n-Shoots or whatever), have a lens that is threaded female and all standard lens filters and covers like the one in your link fit them. However, the 39mm lens of the C23 is male threaded and comes with a simple UV filter that is already installed and has no pass thru threading.

Simply put - you can't use any standardized lenses or covers with the C23 unless you use the adapter ring but be advised that while the adapter will not overload the gimbal some filters will. In your case it looks like you just want some protection from a lens cover and that will work but when removed, the actual camera lens is exposed so you'll either need to remove the adaptor and replace the stock UV filter each time you fly or find a set of standard filters that aren't too heavy.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I do have the adaptor ring but have left it in its bag for now.
So, the existing lens is a 39mm UV. If I use the adapter, I'll be without the UV filter. The UV doesn't have a thread on the outside, i get that.
What are my options then? Is it possible to put a 39mm cover on the UV filter right on the camera as it is now?
Do I have to put the adapter on, buy and fit a 40.5 UV and then put a lens cover on the front of that?

I do have the adaptor ring but have left it in its bag for now.
So, the existing lens is a 39mm UV. If I use the adapter, I'll be without the UV filter. The UV doesn't have a thread on the outside, i get that.
What are my options then? Is it possible to put a 39mm cover on the UV filter right on the camera as it is now?
Do I have to put the adapter on, buy and fit a 40.5 UV and then put a lens cover on the front of that?
I took the filter off, and used the 39mm lens cap

Attachments

• lens cap.jpg
    lens cap.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: PaulEden
I took the filter off, and used the 39mm lens cap
Do you replace the UV when you fly?
Is it OK to fly without the UV?

So ideally, I'm looking for a replacement 39mm male threaded UV with passthrough and then get a cap with the same size as the passthrough?

Last edited:
Do you replace the UV when you fly?
Is it OK to fly without the UV?

So ideally, I'm looking for a replacement 39mm male threaded UV with passthrough and then get a cap with the same size as the passthrough?
Some times yes some times no, they say you can achieve the same results in the manual camera settings which I'm playing with now ?

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
Some times yes some times no, they say you can achieve the same results in the manual camera settings which I'm playing with now ?
Very bad idea! The main reason that people use the UV filters is to protect the front element of their lenses. The first thing I do when I get a new lens is to fit a UV filter to the lens, then any cleaning marks or scratches will happen on the filter and not on my expensive lens.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Last edited:
Counterpoint:

Then again, there are a lot of us photographers who throw out the UV lenses and just be careful handling the camera gear.

The UV can be placed on a lens to protect during transport, but it’s usefulness as an actual photography aid has been up for debate for many years. (UAS and non-UAS).

Very bad idea! The main reason that people use the UV filters is to protect the front element of their lenses. The first thing I do when I get a new lens is to fit a UV filter to the lens, then any cleaning marks or scratches will happen on the filter and not on my expensive lens.
Hope this helps.
Mike
The only problem I can see is a bug hit, which could be cleaned ? The only time the lens is unprotected is in flight, basically the same as a dslr.

Counterpoint:

Then again, there are a lot of us photographers who throw out the UV lenses and just be careful handling the camera gear.

The UV can be placed on a lens to protect during transport, but it’s usefulness as an actual photography aid has been up for debate for many years. (UAS and non-UAS).
I suppose we are all entitled to out opinions. For my I would much rather replace a scratched cracked or otherwise damages relatively inexpensive filter lets say $100.00 that a $1200.00 camera?
Cheers.
Mike
The only problem I can see is a bug hit, which could be cleaned ? The only time the lens is unprotected is in flight, basically the same as a dslr.
Every time you clean a lens be it a camera lens or your eyeglasses you are in danger of damaging the front element of your expensive camera lens. For me it's a no brainer. Ues a filter, and yes I am a photographer now with more than forty years experience. Your lens and in particular the front element has a minute coating on it to help prevent flait, this coating is very easy to damage. I hope that I have encouraged you to use a filter. After all there is a reason that Yuneec put one on the camera in the first place?
With kindest regards.
Mike

Last edited:
An outsider looking in would be (and is) saying 'Why would you NOT use a UV filter?'. I'm going to need a compelling case if I'm to remove the UV filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Irish
I know its best practice, actually there was no reason to, as its pretty much clear if there is a tint.
If there was a tint it wouldn't be clear ;).
Mike:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval