Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LiPo storage inside the house or out in the cold?

Reaction score
So I guess I did not ask the correct question last time. After seeing the fire these things put out when they turn on us , LiPo storage inside the house or out in the cold?

I store them inside, in a can. But just because I do it, does not mean it is a 100% safe thing to do. The highest safety would come with an outside, protected storage that would also protect the batteries from effects of the environment. But even that is not 100%. Everyone is going to have their own comfort zone. I live in a house heated with natural gas, powered by electricity, and the car in my garage has gasoline it it's tank. At some point, you begin to understand there are risks to almost everything we do. Balance the risk (to you) against the benefits (to you), and you will have your decision.

Nothing wrong with storing your LiPos inside the house...just store then properly. Got can purchase one of those expensive LiPo battery storage containers ($50+ each), as some people do...or, you can purchase .50 cal ammo storage containers for $10 each, which a lot more people do. The only "problem" with the ammo storage cans is that you need to ventilate them. This can be done to different ways - the easy way, or the hard way (which is, honestly, better, but much harder).

Starting with the 'hard' way, you need to either punch, or drill, ventilation holes in the top of the ammo can. Most .50 cal ammo boxes have 4-5 'indentations' along each side of the lid, which makes perfect locations for the ventilation holes...but, being semi-thick steel, punching/drilling holes can be extremely difficult workout the proper equipment. Thus, most who use ammo boxes for LiPo storage go the 'easy' route - inside the lid, there's a rubber "gasket". When the lid is latched closed, this gasket is what keeps the ammo dry. Simply use a box-cutting knife, and cut out the side sections of the gasket. Alternately, you can remove all but the front (the end closest to the latch), which is what I do, as you want/need that front section to remain...that's what allowed the latch to "lock" the ammo box closed.

Currently, I'm using three ammo boxes for my LiPo batteries - one for my land-based vehicles, one for my race boats, and one for my "just for fun" boats. Notice I'm not keeping my Typhoon H batteries in any of them...I used to, before I needed two boxes for the boat batteries, but it's also because I'm selling my TH.

Nothing wrong with storing your LiPos inside the house...just store then properly. Got can purchase one of those expensive LiPo battery storage containers ($50+ each), as some people do...or, you can purchase .50 cal ammo storage containers for $10 each, which a lot more people do. The only "problem" with the ammo storage cans is that you need to ventilate them. This can be done to different ways - the easy way, or the hard way (which is, honestly, better, but much harder).

Starting with the 'hard' way, you need to either punch, or drill, ventilation holes in the top of the ammo can. Most .50 cal ammo boxes have 4-5 'indentations' along each side of the lid, which makes perfect locations for the ventilation holes...but, being semi-thick steel, punching/drilling holes can be extremely difficult workout the proper equipment. Thus, most who use ammo boxes for LiPo storage go the 'easy' route - inside the lid, there's a rubber "gasket". When the lid is latched closed, this gasket is what keeps the ammo dry. Simply use a box-cutting knife, and cut out the side sections of the gasket. Alternately, you can remove all but the front (the end closest to the latch), which is what I do, as you want/need that front section to remain...that's what allowed the latch to "lock" the ammo box closed.

Currently, I'm using three ammo boxes for my LiPo batteries - one for my land-based vehicles, one for my race boats, and one for my "just for fun" boats. Notice I'm not keeping my Typhoon H batteries in any of them...I used to, before I needed two boxes for the boat batteries, but it's also because I'm selling my TH.
I lok it. I would go for the easy sought and partly remove the rubber seal. One thing you forgot, place a smoke alarm close to and above the lever of the amo boves.
Mike

Unless you know of any compact (smaller than 2" x 2" x 1"), battery-powered units that could be attached to the ammo boxes, would be a little difficult. My boxes are constantly being moved around the house.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
Store above 50*and below 70* F. There are articles written by companies that cover storage methods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430