Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

M62. Stott Hall Farm

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
After a couple of months being grounded due to Covid-19 lockdown restrictions in the U.K the restrictions were ever so slightly lifted on Wednesday such that I felt able to dust off my H480 and do a couple of test flights. Location I chose was high ground above Stott Hall Farm in the middle of the M62. Yes, that farm where they built a bloody great motorway around. Flights went well and here is an edit of the footage.

Wasn't it also something to do with the ground being unstable as well? Still pretty windy here 30/40mph gusts.

Wasn't it also something to do with the ground being unstable as well? Still pretty windy here 30/40mph gusts.
As far as I can remember, yes. A lot of people at the time were saying it was the farmer being intransigent and wouldn't budge. The truth is that it was a geological issue that prevented it from being demolished. I found this from the BBC Farm in middle of M62 to be transformed

These flights I did yesterday where the wind was around 7 or 8 miles per hour...unusual not to have stronger winds at that location.

After a couple of months being grounded due to Covid-19 lockdown restrictions in the U.K the restrictions were ever so slightly lifted on Wednesday such that I felt able to dust off my H480 and do a couple of test flights. Location I chose was high ground above Stott Hall Farm in the middle of the M62. Yes, that farm where they built a bloody great motorway around. Flights went well and here is an edit of the footage.

Good to see you you've been keeping safe. Nice location...

Good to see you you've been keeping safe. Nice location...
Been doing my bit, but now that the restrictions have been eased slightly in England (not Scotland or Wales), I now feel that I can venture out again, albeit with extreme caution. For example, I chose the location for those test flights last Thursday with great care. That 'B' road you can see in the above vid is closed at the bridge (Scammonden Bridge) that takes it over the M62. With only a very small village (Deanhead) between my operations area and the bridge, that leaves the 'B' road closed to through traffic and so less likely for me to come into contact with others. While I was there, there was just one car driving past which can be seen in the vid.

Maybe on Tuesday, I'm thinking of another flight at a location on the other side of that bridge taking off from a footpath that runs between a quarry and Ringstone Edge reservoir where I'm expecting to be just as isolated as I was last Thursday.

In my neck of the woods, there is no shortage of secluded areas to fly from, but to reach those places would necessitate me having to park my car on carparks that could be packed out so leaving me vulnerable to infection should I park there...best avoided, then.

Been doing my bit, but now that the restrictions have been eased slightly in England (not Scotland or Wales), I now feel that I can venture out again, albeit with extreme caution. For example, I chose the location for those test flights last Thursday with great care. That 'B' road you can see in the above vid is closed at the bridge (Scammonden Bridge) that takes it over the M62. With only a very small village (Deanhead) between my operations area and the bridge, that leaves the 'B' road closed to through traffic and so less likely for me to come into contact with others. While I was there, there was just one car driving past which can be seen in the vid.

Maybe on Tuesday, I'm thinking of another flight at a location on the other side of that bridge taking off from a footpath that runs between a quarry and Ringstone Edge reservoir where I'm expecting to be just as isolated as I was last Thursday.

In my neck of the woods, there is no shortage of secluded areas to fly from, but to reach those places would necessitate me having to park my car on carparks that could be packed out so leaving me vulnerable to infection should I park there...best avoided, then.
Off topic a bit. Are you allowed to fly around the Angel Of The North? Just curious.

Off topic a bit. Are you allowed to fly around the Angel Of The North? Just curious.
Not sure is the short answer.
AOTN is very close to the A1 and it's junction at Allerdene, and is a magnate for people to visit, it being a prominent landmark. I have visited it myself a few years ago but not with a drone and, from what I can remember, I think that in 'normal' times it was flyable at times where there were fewer visitors. Generally, though, I would see it as a 'congested' area because of the number of visitors it generally attracts. To fly it, then, I think that one would have to do it early morning.

All this I say without having researched the site with a drone flight in mind. Researching it may throw up issues with the local authority or with whoever actually owns the land it stands on. There is public access to the site but I don't know if the land is privately owned. However, there is a playing field whose Southern edge boarders the Northern edge of the AOTN site. If I were looking to fly the AOTN, then, I would be looking at that playing field as my take-off site. Go into Google Earth and search 'Angel Of The North, Gateshead', and you will see what I mean.

Not sure is the short answer.
AOTN is very close to the A1 and it's junction at Allerdene, and is a magnate for people to visit, it being a prominent landmark. I have visited it myself a few years ago but not with a drone and, from what I can remember, I think that in 'normal' times it was flyable at times where there were fewer visitors. Generally, though, I would see it as a 'congested' area because of the number of visitors it generally attracts. To fly it, then, I think that one would have to do it early morning.

All this I say without having researched the site with a drone flight in mind. Researching it may throw up issues with the local authority or with whoever actually owns the land it stands on. There is public access to the site but I don't know if the land is privately owned. However, there is a playing field whose Southern edge boarders the Northern edge of the AOTN site. If I were looking to fly the AOTN, then, I would be looking at that playing field as my take-off site. Go into Google Earth and search 'Angel Of The North, Gateshead', and you will see what I mean.
If I was there I'd set my alarm for 4am and get up there early, before anyone was around.

If I was there I'd set my alarm for 4am and get up there early, before anyone was around.
Exactly what I was suggesting. Because if the possible congestion I would think that flying it at any time later in the day would necessitate flying it under PfCO conditions.

Reactions: Mrgs1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt