Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Magic wand and ST-16 question

Reaction score
Is there a way to switch from one to the other in flight? Reason I’m asking is because I’m going to be shooting another TV commercial where the drone would be following a couple joggers. I was thinking the easiest thing to do is use the follow me function and hand them the wand. But I do not trust landing my drone with the wand. (Besides I always hand catch). Does anyone know if switching back and forth is possible?

I have never tried, but based on the binding procedure, and my experience with two ST16 stations, I would say not.

The Wizard Wand is use to boot up the H as the primary controller. You then give temporary camera function over to the ST16 for team mode. The H is never looking for flight control input from the ST16, only the camera has been bound.

I have tried to swap flight control when using two ST16 controllers in team mode, there is no way. When Controller #1 is flight control (like the Wand) and Controller #2 is camera function, turning controller #1 off does not revert flight control to #2. The H will react as if it lost flight control signal and initiate an auto RTL.

Do not give out the wand, especially if they don't know what to do if an emergency would arise.

Reactions: DCH
Do not give out the wand, especially if they don't know what to do if an emergency would arise.

I would set up the wand before clipping it on them and retake control of it when they returned so they wouldn’t be touching it. However, I’ve never used the wand in the 2 years I’ve had this drone. I just don’t trust it.

Reactions: Docdor and DCH
However, I’ve never used the wand in the 2 years I’ve had this drone. I just don’t trust it.
ME NEITHER! I can't bring myself to use it. Seemed like a must have item at the time, and like you I thought I could put it on the person or vehicle I wanted to shoot and take back control when I was done. But when I discovered the binding procedure, I realize it was a pipe dream! My experience with two ST16 showed it can't work that way anyway. Bummer!:(
... Think how cool that would be if it did work that way!!

But hey, you could use it like a placebo and give to them anyway and make them think it was doing all the flying like PFM!

I haven’t used my wand yet....it’s not that I don’t trust it....I’ve been brave enough to fly my Mavic Air with Gesture Control. Just the thought of someone, not knowing how to control my aircraft, running off with the controller......Yikes!

You know, I don’t think you can legally do it anyway. If you’re a supervising RPIC, you still must be able to immediately take control of the aircraft. In the scenario you’re suggesting, that won’t be possible. Your Control is running away.

Don’t know the terrain....but could you setup a CCC mission to fly where they will run? Then you could focus on the camera. Or, just assemble a bunch of 5-7 second shots, starting and stopping as needed. It’s a commercial, and they’re actors after all.....not really running for a workout?

Reactions: otsog
this wand and follow me mode sounds great. Seen a video of a guy paddle boarding and thinking it would be great to video my daughter with the wand and follow me
but after looking into it and for answers to this question i came to the conclusion that you are much better off controlling the drone yourself
almost the only time i can see the wand being useful is on a cycle ride ( or jogging ) so that you would not have to carry the controller.
before doing that your going to have to learn to use it ( maybe 1 day i will but for now it just seems like a gimmick )

Reactions: DCH and ChadCloses
Mr. Garvin brought up a very good point. A commercial operator cannot hand off control of the aircraft to a non certificated operator unless they either retain primary control or can quickly take control of the aircraft.

As either the ST-16 or the Wizard has to be bound to the aircraft, a process that can only be done while the aircraft is not in flight, or when the aircraft is not linked to any controller, the concept of switching between the ST-16 and Wizard in flight while maintaining positive control of the aircraft is an impossible act.

Funny coincidence that i read this thread tonight on the wizard wand and the ST16. I purchased the wand in june and same as others i thought had to have it. I too just bound it and tried it this past weekend with limited success. My H took off with the wand and i was able to land it but i was afraid to fly with it. I guess i dont trust it. Also my H was beeping thr whole time like somethibg was wrong, i kept loosing gps according to the wand.

I actually sort of got stuck between team mode and single mode and had to toggle the st16 back and forth between those modes to get back full control to the st 16. I also tried my realsense module that i added for the first time. Seemed to work but i was a chicken as i was afraid the H would go up into the many overhanging tree branches in different places in my yard. I guess i need to have more time with realsense and the wizard to fully trust it.

Mr. Garvin brought up a very good point. A commercial operator cannot hand off control of the aircraft to a non certificated operator unless they either retain primary control or can quickly take control of the aircraft.

As either the ST-16 or the Wizard has to be bound to the aircraft, a process that can only be done while the aircraft is not in flight, or when the aircraft is not linked to any controller, the concept of switching between the ST-16 and Wizard in flight while maintaining positive control of the aircraft is an impossible act.

I have a question in regards to a commercial operator handing off control. If anyone can buy a drone why couldn’t I lend my drone to a friend and he/she fly it as a hobbyist without me being present? I don’t recall reading anything about this scenario when I was studying for my part 107. Which reminds me I have to renew by months end. Time to start studying again!!

You can lend out your drone to someone else, hope they don't crash! If you do, I'm sure you're insurance covers them also?

Last edited:
I have a question in regards to a commercial operator handing off control. If anyone can buy a drone why couldn’t I lend my drone to a friend and he/she fly it as a hobbyist without me being present? .......

Of course you can. But to what end? You can’t use any footage they capture.

Oh, yea I forgot to mention that, I would have thought he knew those rules. Hobbyist cannot sell any of their footage for profit, or even give it to someone, including businesses, for profit. Ditto @Fred Garvin

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I could rent them my drone. Lol. I, of course, would never let anyone fly my drone or rent my drone to anybody. I take my FAA license very seriously. Just playing devil’s advocate here.

Thought so, I was thinking of asking you if I could borrow your Ferrari camera.;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval