Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Maiden Voyage of H+ NO GO Compass would not Calibrate

Reaction score
I went to my usual haunt for testing and maiden voyages. I waited about 10 minutes and got 17 satellites.
I entered "Advanced Settings" and then chose "Compass Calibration" I touched green box, I held down my finger on green box...it would never even get passed the green box which takes you to actual calibration.

Other settings were also very flaky. I would set return to home parameter to return to take off point and I would get a red X and it would automatically choose return to current controller position. The next time I rebooted I choose return to current controller position and I got a red X and it chose return to take off point automatically.

I think this is going back to Yuneec for a refund. I don't have the time to sort these fundamental things out.

I know no one from Yuneec even looks at these boards, but... WAKE UP YUNEEC!!!!

If an experienced pilot with over 2 years under his belt with the direct predecessor, is having these kind of basic setup issues out of the gate, maybe the upgraded model is not ready for prime time... you'd have thought their hiccups with the 520 would have taught them... o_O

I know no one from Yuneec even looks at these boards, but... WAKE UP YUNEEC!!!!

If an experienced pilot with over 2 years under his belt with the direct predecessor, is having these kind of basic setup issues out of the gate, maybe the upgraded model is not ready for prime time... you'd have thought their hiccups with the 520 would have taught them... o_O
That is precisely what I did think, with all the problems they had you would have thought things would have been straightened out..

That is precisely what I did think, with all the problems they had you would have thought things would have been straightened out..

at least the little things... :(

The jury is still out in my mind but it better take less than 6 months for them to redeem themselves.

On paper the H+ looks like a competent aircraft with a great camera. Now we’ve got to see that in action.

Apparently... i asked in another thread if d/l will be an option, but we'll have to wait and see...

OTA will definitely remove it from a lot of government work. Data can’t be secure if it can remotely connect with an outside source, and positive control can’t be assured during a conflict with the country of origin.

They have to provide the means to upgrade firmware via external storage media.

OTA will definitely remove it from a lot of government work. Data can’t be secure if it can remotely connect with an outside source, and positive control can’t be assured during a conflict with the country of origin.
Excellent point. The servers being used for updates are in the US, EU and UK I believe but any required connection will be an issue.

Looking at the manual, page 19... the firmware is downloaded to the ST16s via WiFi, then over the air to the H+. Doesn’t sound any different than H480 or the H520 to me.

The controller disconnects from whatever internet-connected WiFi is used to retrieve the new bits, and then connects to the craft via its private network connection.

What am I missing regarding concerns with this methodology?

Jeff

P.S. I am hopeful the same options as the H480 and H520 would exist. That being, if necessary, the firmware could be retrieved using a PC or equivalent, stored on memory card, transferred to the ST16s for the actual update. (Or the camera if necessary.). The manual does state an SD card must be in the C23 during the update procedure, at least for the camera updates. (Haven’t memorized the manual just yet.)

[emoji41]

Last edited:
If a manufacturer can pump a code OTA to the device and cause it to upload without being so commanded by the owner it is not secure. If it can be forced to upload it can be forced to download. Secure devices load new firmware from discs.

There are security risks with disks too. But if high security ops require disk-only upgrades, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to offer such a mod - leaving the other 99% of us with OTA.

If a manufacturer can pump a code OTA to the device and cause it to upload without being so commanded by the owner it is not secure. If it can be forced to upload it can be forced to download. Secure devices load new firmware from discs.

If you don't actively connect the ST-16 to your home/work wifi, it can never receive any updates or commands. It's as simple as that. Additionally, it you don't ask it to perform an OTA upgrade, it doesn't - that's more an issue with verifying the software does what it says, but it can be relatively easily proven.

The difference between this and *** drones is that they tend to use your phone/tablet which is rarely out of contact with the internet, so there are many opportunities for sneaky communication to take place. With the ST-16, if you don't set up a wifi connection,it will never have that chance.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
If you don't actively connect the ST-16 to your home/work wifi, it can never receive any updates or commands. It's as simple as that. Additionally, it you don't ask it to perform an OTA upgrade, it doesn't - that's more an issue with verifying the software does what it says, but it can be relatively easily proven.

The difference between this and *** drones is that they tend to use your phone/tablet which is rarely out of contact with the internet, so there are many opportunities for sneaky communication to take place. With the ST-16, if you don't set up a wifi connection,it will never have that chance.
So how are IBM proposing real-time NFZ data pushing on the fly?

Do we know if the IBM patent request was ever approved? IBM typically submits thousands of patent requests each year. They’re not all approved nor are they all great, workable ideas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
premadsoftwaresolutions