Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Manual bind has locked out E90?

Reaction score
Howdy,
My E90 is not communicating with me, my ST16S, or the rest of the world and I can't figure it out. If this situation has been addressed elsewhere I can't find it but would appreciate any links or other help.

So yesterday I tried out the manual bind procedure as described on p61 of the Owners Guide. It took a few attempts to get the timing and order of all the steps correct, eventually I was rewarded with 6 flashing yellow lights. Tried this a few more times and the results were inconsistent - sometimes the landing gear switch worked, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes I could arm the motors while in manual bind status, sometimes I couldn't. I did not attach the props nor did I even consider attempting to fly.

Today I'm trying to upload a survey mission that I created on the ST16S. When I turn on the H520 I get all the tones and lights, but my E90 never powers up - no movement at all. I've tried different SD cards, I've tried the "secret" button, I've swapped out batteries, I've turned the H520 off and on numerous times, I've removed and reattached the E90 gimbal. No luck. Sometimes when I'm wrestling with the gimbal or buttons I end up turning the H520 upside down and I get all six flashing yellow lights indicating manual bind status. (Twice when turning it upside down the landing gear have raised and then I tried all kinds of gyrations to get them back down - eventually they do, but I don't recall just what combination of dance moves led to success. Just now when I was trying to get the landing gear back down I got 6 flashing PURPLE (!) lights and the landing gear went down and immediately went back up - kind of a purple rain/when doves cry sort of a moment!)

I've mashed the wifi soft button repeatedly and tried to select a vehicle/camera, but my E90 never comes up as an option. I've turned the tablet wifi off and on via the settings menu - my home wifi appears (as do all of networks in the neighborhood, but my E90 is "out of range."

I've updated to the latest firmware on the ST16S, etc. But, of course, I have not updated the E90 since I can't communicate with it.

Is there something special that must be done after manual binding to get the camera functioning again? I've got a mapping job scheduled for tomorrow ... aaaaarrrgh!

Signed,
Frustrated in Colorado ...

Rich,

First thought is to try reconnecting directly to the E90 via the pad WIFI settings.

You said it shows “out of range”. Try “forgetting” the E90 and then see if it appears again. Will likely need to re-enter the default password in order to connect to the E90.

Until you can do the above, I do not anticipate the DataPilot seeing the E90.

Jeff

P.S. have you checked for “bent” or offset contacts between the E90 and the H520? Happened to me. One of the contacts “caught” itself in what appeared to be a retracted position. Not much pressure required to get it to spring back into normal state. In other words, be delicate.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, my E90 is just hanging limply under my H520 - it never appears to power up when I turn my H520 on. So, there's no wifi output for my ST16S to detect and identify.

The contacts are all in good shape.

Every time I turn the H520 upside down, I get the yellow flashing lights that indicate manual binding, even if I never select manual binding on the ST16S.

Any ideas?

Rich

Sorry to hear, Rich.

I’m pretty sure placing the H520 upside down puts the craft itself in “ready for bind” mode, regardless of the ST16s. There is nothing for the controller to talk to until it is bound to a craft. It is only the sequence that makes it seem the controller puts the craft in bind mode.

I just tested my H520:

1) without controller powered up, and E50 attached (and previously bound) flipping craft puts the 520 in manual bind mode.

2) with controller on, and connection made to H520 thru E50, turning over 520 rattles camera but does NOT put H520 in manual bind mode (whew!).

I would expect if I were to unbind my E50, leaving it connected and powered up, I would get the manual bind. But, after performing two cycles of calibrations the last two days (updates) I am thinking that is a test best answered by Yuneec at this point. Sorry.

Have you tried the chat feature via their website? Typically pretty responsive. Just hope they want only the camera rather than shipping everything back and forth. Been there, done that.

Good luck!

Jeff

I've been trying to use the chat feature, but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I've scheduled a tech support phone call for Thursday, but I hope to be able to get through via chat before then! (I might not be finding the correct link for chats - I've been clicking on the "Start a Live Chat In Moments" link on us.yuneec.com/support and all that happens is a new blank window in FireFox opens up.)

Now when I try the manual bind mode with the ST16S powered up and selecting "manual bind" while turning the H520 upside down, I get the yellow lights, but I get no response when I manipulate controls on the ST16S (landing gear or the red power button). I'm at a complete loss.

I've been trying to use the chat feature, but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I've scheduled a tech support phone call for Thursday, but I hope to be able to get through via chat before then! (I might not be finding the correct link for chats - I've been clicking on the "Start a Live Chat In Moments" link on us.yuneec.com/support and all that happens is a new blank window in FireFox opens up.)

Now when I try the manual bind mode with the ST16S powered up and selecting "manual bind" while turning the H520 upside down, I get the yellow lights, but I get no response when I manipulate controls on the ST16S (landing gear or the red power button). I'm at a complete loss.

Regarding chat, have you tried Chrome or Internet Explorer, or even Edge? Or made sure pop-ups are not blocked?

Just trying to think of things to try...

A landing gear switch should be in a corresponding position to landing legs for it to work. If binding manually gets the legs up automatically while the switch is set to down(meaning that legs should be down) the switch won't work. It is silly I know but this is how it works.

I could not figure it out myself being in similar situation but then somebody told me about this trick.

Sorry to have been absent on this thread - it's been crazy busy this last week+.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered advice and things to try. Since I tried them all, I was able to give the Yuneec support guy (that's you, Mitch, you were great!) lots of info regarding what I had tried and how my H520 & E90 responded to each attempted solution. The phone conversation with Yuneec was very brief - one question for me to clarify what I did and observed and then the immediate response of "you've got a problem we need to fix - it's covered under the warranty - we're providing you with a UPS shipping label." In 5 minutes I had my shipping label printed out, 15 minutes my H520, E90 & ST16S were boxed up, and in less than an hour I was at the UPS store dropping off my package.

I learned yesterday that repairs had been made and my bird is on its way back to me. I do not know what was done (yet) and I do not know if everything is working properly. I'll know next week and report back in by the end of the week. The service was incredible and I had a very enjoyable conversation with Mitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech