Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Max Range

Reaction score
Pretty sure people here seen the videos on youtube, where the guys is flying the drone 8900ft plus... still have video feed and control.of the drone... anyone have answers to this on how far is ideal for flying the Q500 to avoid fly aways?!

You can find many things on Youtube that predicate the eventual loss of an aircraft. The flight rules we follow are pretty simple. Keep the aircraft in sight. I did fly the Q out to about 2000' while watching it. As soon as I looked down at the monitor I could not find it in the sky again.
The ideal max distance to me is about 1000-1500'. You should determine the wind direction and fly upwind early in the flight so you are always flying downwind at the end of the flight. Plan to land when the battery reads about 10.6 - 10.7 volts.

The furthest I have flown my Q500 4K was about 289 M (948 ft). At this point my video froze. I could still see my bird, but that was as far as I could get video. This, of course, is horizontal distance. I have flown 100 M vertical, before Canada capped the limit at 90 M. Now, my bird is stock out of the box. Trying to go further than your jurisdiction allows will always lead to eventual trouble. Either you are seen and reported by someone, or you post the video and Transport Canada (or FAA, CAA...) take notice, or you lost signal and encounter a fly-away. It is just not worth it in my assessment.

The reason am asking initially, is because I watched a DJI video yesterday and the guy literally flew his drone from the beach to chase a moving cruise 9000ft away and he had amazing video feed and control of the craft even with that much distance. How can we improve the video signal in distances like even at 900ft away? I know we have the satellites and it should feed that way am guessing... or may be its directly through wifi feed?
The furthest I have flown my Q500 4K was about 289 M (948 ft). At this point my video froze. I could still see my bird, but that was as far as I could get video. This, of course, is horizontal distance. I have flown 100 M vertical, before Canada capped the limit at 90 M. Now, my bird is stock out of the box. Trying to go further than your jurisdiction allows will always lead to eventual trouble. Either you are seen and reported by someone, or you post the video and Transport Canada (or FAA, CAA...) take notice, or you lost signal and encounter a fly-away. It is just not worth it in my assessment.

You can improve the Q500 range with an ilelite ( hope I got that right) range extension antenna kit from Carolina Dronz. They can even install it for you, but, once again, we are limited to VLOS, so while flying 9000 ft might seem like fun, it is not legal, or encouraged. DJI boasts a range of 4 to 6 miles. Impressive, and will catch the attention of those in authority.

I got the remote pilot license, so I will do the waiver request even if flying that far. But I was just wondering how to improve the feed and the distance of the drone, specially traveling around mountains and cliffs.
You can improve the Q500 range with an ilelite ( hope I got that right) range extension antenna kit from Carolina Dronz. They can even install it for you, but, once again, we are limited to VLOS, so while flying 9000 ft might seem like fun, it is not legal, or encouraged. DJI boasts a range of 4 to 6 miles. Impressive, and will catch the attention of those in authority.

The Q500 is made as a stable video platform not a long distance flyer. It is older technology but it still works very well. Avoid flying beyond visual sight. It's simply not designed for that.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
The Q500 is made as a stable video platform not a long distance flyer. It is older technology but it still works very well. Avoid flying beyond visual sight. It's simply not designed for that.

I second that position.

Personal experience puts my longest flight with a Q at just under 4000ft. That's without modification in a very very rural setting on a perfect day. No buildings, no roads, no interference. Typical range got out to 2000ft with patchy video on my farm. It's NOT a long range flyer, nor was it ever intended to be.

Methinks the video feed is specifically designed to drop out way before R/C to ensure owners do not exceed the capabilities of the aircraft or pilot. When I see vids of drones miles out over traffic and buildings for pleasure flights all I can think about is how horrible it would be to see that drone lose control and crash into the windshield of a car or spinning 12" knives dropping into a crowd of people.

Dropping out of the sky, and since you wouldn't have video, you wouldn't know what has occurred. All you would know is that the Q500 is disconnected. Even worse would be carbon fiber props. Those would be like 12 inch knives [emoji17]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin