Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

May need crash course for H Plus

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying the typhoon h plus for an event this weekend. What major differences are there from the h480 and what camera settings would you generally recommend? Should filters be used and are they available? This is not my normal MO but I may not have a choice at this point if I want to get the quality video that I need. The longer flight time is the main reason for the sudden impulsive buying mood.

Thanks in advance and any other constructive comments is welcomed.

Filters are available, the Freewell filters that do not require the conversion adapter are the ones designed for the E90 camera. Examples are:
FREEWELL YUNEEC H520 E90 4K SERIES BRIGHT DAY FILTER SET

FREEWELL YUNEEC H520 E90 4K SERIES STANDARD DAY FILTER SET
However, given your time frame, getting them in time (if you need them) would be questionable. From what I have learned, the filters are needed if you are going for 'cinematic effect' (low ISO numbers and shutter speed twice the frame rate). If this doesn't apply to your situation, then IMHO the filters are not a necessity.

Longer flight times, yes but only by an average of around two minutes. My advice would be only take a new system into a working environment when you have sufficient time to not only get familiar with it but more importantly see that the systems are reliable. I would aim for at least 20 flights.

I have about 30 flights on my Plus and have still not put it online as I am watching some of the issues (most are minor) before I can say it is as reliable as can be expected.

Having said that, I would aim to achieve the same video settings as normal and to achieve this you will need filters. I purchased a set of Freewell filters made for the E90 and they work well

Suffice it to say, if purchasing now, do NOT update the firmware, as this is currently introducing some gimbal hardware issues not previously seen.

Suffice it to say, if purchasing now, do NOT update the firmware, as this is currently introducing some gimbal hardware issues not previously seen.
That may depend on the firmware that is currently installed. As I recall, I had to update just to get the initial bugs removed from the original firmware.

So Steve let me ask... when doing an update do you have the choice of what to update, or will it automatically update to the most recent FW version? In the OPs position of having just purchased, can he decline updating the most recent update only, in order to avoid the reported gimbal issues?

As long as you do not connect to a wifi, there will be no automatic download. I remember when I was going thru my first updates issues (couldn't connect) I reported the process that finally worked but I think some took it that the download happened automatically when its near a wifi. This is not how it happens. My controller has not connected since I first downloaded the first update. I am not going to update to this new FW until I see the light at the end of the tunnel which; may be around the corner. Oliver reported that now, his update is all in the green and everything is fine, and the gimbal is working properly. I am waiting to see what the guy in Denmark says about his when it comes back from CS

If I wern't so far away from CS I might have a different outlook but the thought of a 5,600 mile round trip to CA from FL and back is something I would like to avoid.

But in fact, if a new buyer purchased a H Plus, you could not tell it to update through July 31st, but not beyond, correct?

But in fact, if a new buyer purchased a H Plus, you could not tell it to update through July 31st, but not beyond, correct?
I would assume you are correct @Eagle's Eye Video I have a feeling the way that Yuneec is going to push these updates will be only the latest will be available for download. I don't think if you bought today and checked for updates there would be the first and the second - only the second.

I'm thinking about buying the typhoon h plus for an event this weekend. What major differences are there from the h480 and what camera settings would you generally recommend? Should filters be used and are they available? This is not my normal MO but I may not have a choice at this point if I want to get the quality video that I need. The longer flight time is the main reason for the sudden impulsive buying mood.

Thanks in advance and any other constructive comments is welcomed.

@glider to answer your questions about video settings and filters. I've got a little more time now with the C23 and the Freewell E90 ND filter set labeled - Bright Day. First a gripe; they intentionaly split out the ND8 away from the ND16 (my two most used filters) to force you to buy two sets or their 8 filter set which is mostly useless. My set has an ND16, ND 32 and ND64 - for those days when your on Venus I suppose. Anyway I am finding that I am using the ND 16 in bright sun and that will allow me to have the ISO at 100 and run my shutter double the FPS, so when I shoot at 30 FPS my shutter is 60 and ISO is 100. I suspect that an ND 8 or $ would be useful for twilight and early morning shooting. The aperture is 2.8 so the lighting adjustments for the C23 is very close to that of the CG03+ for video.

Reactions: SavinPeace
I would assume you are correct @Eagle's Eye Video I have a feeling the way that Yuneec is going to push these updates will be only the latest will be available for download. I don't think if you bought today and checked for updates there would be the first and the second - only the second.
If you connect the ST16 to your computer the last firmware updates are listed as shown below. You can copy those files prior to doing another update. These will get erased with the next update.

1st update.jpg

Reactions: Ty Pilot
In one of the threads someone was having trouble finding the menus on the Plus controller.
When you find Compass Calibration under settings, you tap “Compass Calibration” 5 times to open a “secret” menu for the other calibrations.
Learned this in a YouTube video. Would be helpful is Yuneec included such stuf in the manual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33