Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mexican Hat

Now that's the s**t there... love the desert environment. Will be trying to get some footage
on my trip to the Yellowstone area... already going in knowing the the best stuff will be all
NFZ with the large areas designated as National Parks in that entire area. But there has
to be some isolated places I can find to fly. I'd give a certain part of my anatomy to fly
Arches or Zion. :(

MOMMMM! Dad's keeping all the cool views to himself AGAIN! o_O

Last edited:
As I understand the law, you can launch from outside a national park, fly over and return.

I would like to have flown a POI around the Mexican Hat rock. It was farther away and higher than I thought. I was not able to get above the rock to set the center of the circle. The H was at the limit of my visual range. I did not want to get behind a rock wall and lose signal.
It was also very hot (peaked at 118 one day) and windy in the afternoons. There was lots of fine red dust as well. Along much of the river, the canyon walls were close in and over 1000 feet high. Getting a reliable GPS signal would have been a challenge.

The Mexican Hat rock is about 60 feet in diameter. I believe it is over 400 feet above the river. If I were to do it again, I would have tried to get closer on the other side of the river. We stopped at the town of Mexican Hat to stock up on water, but we were in rafts and did not have a way to drive to the formation.
I would love to have flown to the top of the Honaker trail, but it was 1200 feet high. I would also have enjoyed flying in the Oljato canyon. It was very narrow and the high walls would have made gps unusable.

Attachments

• canyon.jpg
    canyon.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 4
  • honaker trail2.jpg
    honaker trail2.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members