Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Missed business opportunities?

Reaction score
Hi, there are for sure alot of discussions about H camera quality and (lack?) of possibilities. I work with my H for business for real estate agencies, golf courses, construction companies and more and the "H" works fine for that purposes. My question to you who "always" want the next generation cam or drone and "better this and that" - IF you are in the commercial corner as I am with the H, how many, if any, business opportunities have you been forced to refuse because or the H limitations?

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Hi, there are for sure alot of discussions about H camera quality and (lack?) of possibilities. I work with my H for business for real estate agencies, golf courses, construction companies and more and the "H" works fine for that purposes. My question to you who "always" want the next generation cam or drone and "better this and that" - IF you are in the commercial corner as I am with the H, how many, if any, business opportunities have you been forced to refuse because or the H limitations?
What limitations are you speaking of? Please list.

Interesting question. As yet, I have not done any commercial work with the H and so haven't missed any jobs. And If I were to get a job, the H would likely fill the bill nicely. I have seen the work of some commercial operators in my area and I think they're so-so. I think the photographic (pictures) that come out of the H - especially when using the DNG-Raw photos to work with, are very good. Certainly any good photographer has a lot to work with there.

But the video? Except, that the camera produces a nearly distortion free video; is equal to about a Hero3+ That's the simple truth. Now granted a good videographer has a lot to work with here but it has its limits. I look at it like this: on a scale of one to ten, based on where the H is in the market price-wise, The H itself is an 8 or 9, The ST16 Controller again 8 or 9. But the Camera as a video platform is a 6 in my estimation.

I would also add; I would not want an 8 camera on a platform that is a 6 with a controller that is also a 6. This is why I went with the H over the others that are near this price point.

Pat

Last edited:
Hi Murray. I just wanna know this forum members their (business) limitations.
In the US the restrictions are far lower than the silly standards in Canada. The drone for Canadian operators is great, but we have been squashed for commercial use. But as to what the drone is able to do, for the money it is the best choice. As posted by @Ty Pilot above, I would tend to agree.

Photo, The reason I was asking about the E90x in other threads where I was one asking about better cameras was because if there is a better camera in regards to the video specs I want it. If the 520 camera is the same as the CGO3+, then I am about to pull the trigger on a second complete Typhoon H as my backup as they are on sale now.

Pat

Reactions: Murray Martz
The H520 can be equipped with three different cameras. While the CGO3+ can record smooth UHD video footage, the CGO-ET thermal imaging and residual light camera measures the temperature in the image on a point-by-point basis and shows relative temperature differences. In addition, the residual light RGB camera has a 20-fold higher light sensitivity than the human eye and can capture outstanding images even in poor light conditions. The CGO-CI meets the demands of inspectors, experts, photographers and filmmakers. It achieves this with proven features such as the curved cable cam, panorama photo, timelapse and image sequences along with its 7-element glass lens with 50mm angle.
Photo, The reason I was asking about the E90x in other threads where I was one asking about better cameras was because if there is a better camera in regards to the video specs I want it. If the 520 camera is the same as the CGO3+, then I am about to pull the trigger on a second complete Typhoon H as my backup as they are on sale now.

Pat

I take exception to your presumption. I don't see a lot of discussion about the lack of camera quality on the H. I do see questions regarding how to use it. I use it primarily as a video platform and it's my opinion it does a fantastic job for what it is and what it costs. If I need a shot I take a frame from the video and those have been more than adequate. If you are trying to compare a CGO3+ with a high end camera then your query is useless. The cost of this camera includes an exceptional gimbal and the whole setup is extremely light weight. If you need more professional images then you should be looking at something in the $5,000 to $8,000 range.

@Murray Martz asked what limitations you are referring to on the H. That is a fair question and deserves a legitimate answer.

Steve, I think, (I could be wrong) I saw that Yuneec is renaming the Camera(s) on the 520 and they showed E50x and E90x as being the choices with a narrow and wide field of view as well as having the ET. My question was/is; are these new cameras or basically a CG03+ and a CG03+ with a 50mm lens? For the work/stuff I want to do I like the wider angle lens, the FOV on the H's camera Is very close to perfect for my needs. Though I have seen conflicting specs on the actual field of view on the stock CG03+. I currently have no need for the thermal imaging or its low light capabilities.

So basically what I am saying is if there is a better camera out for our H, I will grab it up ASAP, if not I am going to get a back-up H for now and hope for a better camera later.

Pat

Steve, I think, (I could be wrong) I saw that Yuneec is renaming the Camera(s) on the 520 and they showed E50x and E90x as being the choices with a narrow and wide field of view as well as having the ET. My question was/is; are these new cameras or basically a CG03+ and a CG03+ with a 50mm lens? For the work/stuff I want to do I like the wider angle lens, the FOV on the H's camera Is very close to perfect for my needs. Though I have seen conflicting specs on the actual field of view on the stock CG03+. I currently have no need for the thermal imaging or its low light capabilities.

So basically what I am saying is if there is a better camera out for our H, I will grab it up ASAP, if not I am going to get a back-up H for now and hope for a better camera later.

Pat
You have later information than I regarding the change in names. From my recollection, the CI camera is much heavier than the 03+ so it cannot be used on the H. I wouldn't expect to see any other cameras produced that will fit the H beyond the 03+ and the ET. Until the final specs are released for Yuneec we won't know for sure but the H520 is certainly capable of carrying more weight.

I think Yuneec removed some information they had on the site as other members also saw it and mention in this thread. In any case I think you're right we just have to wait and see.

Pat

I think Yuneec removed some information they had on the site as other members also saw it and mention in this thread. In any case I think you're right we just have to wait and see.

Pat
Even if you decide to get another H, it would be worth waiting. After the 520 starts shipping there will be lots of H's on the market with some good deals.

Yeah I saw a good deal in the classifieds just a little while ago that I was thinking about. Now if my wife were here, she'd tell you that patience is not one of my virtues ;) but she doesn't know what shes talking about. I am waiting and watching.

Pat

Reactions: Jester
The image quality, be it still or video, will not be determined by the lens alone. Pixel count and sensor size have even greater impact than lenses in cameras of this size and type. For the 520, the inspection camera will be the hot ticket because there will be less need to crop and enlarge, which induces pixelation, and a safer stand off distance while obtaining a larger image while retaining resolution.

The thermal cameras at this level are, IMO, a very expensive joke. People that don't understand resolution, especially resolution with IR imagery, will find the camera has to be on top of the subject to obtain any kind of clarity. Standing off only 15 or 20' will bring much disappointment and considerable anger. The cost is far above what budget IR cameras can deliver in product quality.

I do believe there will be a benefit from a 50mm equivalent lens. That's much closer to the image size the human eye sees instead of pushing everything out in distance with what we have now.

Ultimately, I think the 520 will find it's niche with inspection work and ground mapping. If they improve the sensor the possibilities expand.

Feels as though this thread is getting slightly off topic, kindly allow me an attempt to steer it back.
I work with my H for business for real estate agencies, golf courses, construction companies and more and the "H" works fine for that purposes.
As do I.

....if you are in the commercial corner as I am with the H, how many, if any, business opportunities have you been forced to refuse because of the H limitations?
None of note.

I have had some issues with capturing DroneBase panoramas. They admittedly are geared towards DJI and their software can integrate directly with DJI birds. Not with any Yuneec product. However, I don't consider this a missed business opportunity as their payout is clearly aimed at the hobbyist market. The guy who happens to be in the neighborhood, pulled up the app to search for any nearby missions and quickly shot the house for sale a couple blocks away for some pennys.

Great question @Photo...I'm curious as well, Anyone else have any jobs they could not complete using the TH? I've found my TH adequate. Combined with @Tuna's UAV Toolkit. It works pretty well.

Although as I think about it, DJI does have Active Track. That would be nice. Even if the TH could focus on a stationary object that is not the ST-16, would be nice. Or can we do this and I'm a moron and never knew?

The follow-me mode works with the Wizard and doesn't have some of the limitations of Active Track. The H will change altitude when following the Wizard so using it in rugged terrain is possible. The H follows the Wizard using GPS coordinates so it doesn't need to "see" the subject. Active track cannot follow altitude changes and it must be able to see the subject. Certain lighting conditions or traveling under trees will end the session. I don't see either of these features having a great deal of use commercially. Neither is likely to be used for automobile advertising running through the mountains.

Using any consumer grade drone for commercial work will have limitations depending on the type and quality of the end product needed.

Agree, don't see any of the active tracking technologies being of great use commercially. Wizard or Active Track.

I guess I was thinking more of a static focus. An example being a house being the point of interest while the ST-16 is down the block to not be in the shot. Then doing a fly by of the house, flying down the street, with the H maintaining its view of the house the whole time.

I don't mean the task POI. I do use that for houses often. That sets the center point and flies 360 degree around it.

An example being a house being the point of interest while the ST-16 is down the block to not be in the shot. Then doing a fly by of the house, flying down the street, with the H maintaining its view of the house the whole time.
Hmm.....seems to me there is a way to do just that, but I can't remember the procedure. I suppose the simplest method is to use the UAV toolbox and fly point-to-point. Then you simply rotate the camera as you fly by.

I get paid to shoot as well and for my target markets the H has not been a detraction. I'd rather do a few things really well than a lot of things half assed. The H does just fine.

The follow-me mode works with the Wizard and doesn't have some of the limitations of Active Track. The H will change altitude when following the Wizard so using it in rugged terrain is possible. The H follows the Wizard using GPS coordinates so it doesn't need to "see" the subject. Active track cannot follow altitude changes and it must be able to see the subject. Certain lighting conditions or traveling under trees will end the session. I don't see either of these features having a great deal of use commercially. Neither is likely to be used for automobile advertising running through the mountains.

Using any consumer grade drone for commercial work will have limitations depending on the type and quality of the end product needed.
Hi Steve, calm down. I haven't said that the H and/or cam is bad! I love my equipment! Me too usually use video and frame-grabbing and it works great and my customers are happy! My question was if anyone on the forum has lost business due to the cam performance? Ofcourse I know I can get better stuff for more money! Why that agressive approach?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace