Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

MOTOR ERROR

Reaction score
Hello,

Strange thing, had my H up in an area clear of obstacles & upon descent to land, a prop broke & put the H into 5 motor mode. No problem upon landing, but now when attempting a flight today, all motors spun up except the motor that the prop broke from. No apparent damage to mounting or the motor but keeps giving me a motor error. what's happening here cause the H impacted nothing nor has it ever?

Is my H ruined?

Thank you.

Could be the motor actually failed, causing the prop to break. Unlikely, but possible. Another possibility is the ESC failed after entering 5 rotor mode. Both would cause a continued motor error indication. Is your H ruined? Not likely, but you have some troubleshooting ahead of you.

Hello,

Strange thing, had my H up in an area clear of obstacles & upon descent to land, a prop broke & put the H into 5 motor mode. No problem upon landing, but now when attempting a flight today, all motors spun up except the motor that the prop broke from. No apparent damage to mounting or the motor but keeps giving me a motor error. what's happening here cause the H impacted nothing nor has it ever?

Is my H ruined?

Thank you.
What props are you using. Does it turn by hand?

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Once I did a great mistake and bought aftermarket props. Had two incidents where they broke midair. First time I was lucky and only one blade flew away resulting in a mayor unbalance. The H did not enter five rotor mode for some reason. After landing I noticed that the motor was extremly hot, which has never been the case before. Maybe the unbalance resulted in an increased load to the motor.

On another flight a few days later I flew between some trees. On this day there was hardly any wind at all. Suddenly I noticed that the air around the Typhoon H appeared a little foggy. That was quiet odd since everywhere around the visibility was perfect. I immeadiatly landed and noticed smoke coming out of the motor which had the prop failure a few days ago. The motor was so hot that the plastic of the motor mount melted. Somehow it still turned but with reduced speed.

Maybe you motor did overheat as well but failed completly.

P.S.: Later on I had another incident with these aftermarket props. From what I heard (looked on the screen) and a friend witnessed, the back right propeller must have exploded while hovering at about 15m (50ft) of hight and hit the back left propeller destroying it too. Losing two propellers resulted in a rapid descend. Unfortunatly the landing gear was retracted so the H smashed the entire camera. There was barely and part left which could be reused. The H itself did not suffer any damage due to the high gras where it crashed.

As a result I am not using any non OEM propeller any more. I never had any problems with the original ones.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Only in informing of a motor error. It won’t differentiate between a fuse, ESC, or motor failure, or even identify if one of those is the cause. Essentially it only informs that something is or isn’t working right

Hello,

Is my H ruined?

Thank you.

Yes it is. ;-)

Get the ESC board, replace it and go flying. They are quite affordable and they are easy to replace:

OR:

If you are familiar with electronics, you could probably fix it by yourself. The aforementioned fuses could be checked. One or two, depending of the age of the drone, huge white SMD fuses on the bottom of the board, for every motor controller circuit. If they are OK, a power mosfet(s) and/or its gate driver(s) are bad. They are replaceable with a good soldering station. What is nice with the Typhoon, there are only few parts that can not be replaced, the motor controller ATMega 8 MCU's being ones of them since we do not (yet) have the firmware for those. And that is probably OK since that particular ESC is able to report an error.

Only in informing of a motor error. It won’t differentiate between a fuse, ESC, or motor failure, or even identify if one of those is the cause. Essentially it only informs that something is or isn’t working right
I meant in checking all signals and commands are working, then the dismantle of the H.

Yes it is. ;-)

Get the ESC board, replace it and go flying. They are quite affordable and they are easy to replace:

OR:

If you are familiar with electronics, you could probably fix it by yourself. The aforementioned fuses could be checked. One or two, depending of the age of the drone, huge white SMD fuses on the bottom of the board, for every motor controller circuit. If they are OK, a power mosfet(s) and/or its gate driver(s) are bad. They are replaceable with a good soldering station. What is nice with the Typhoon, there are only few parts that can not be replaced, the motor controller ATMega 8 MCU's being ones of them since we do not (yet) have the firmware for those. And that is probably OK since that particular ESC is able to report an error.
New other, So could be secondhand?
£200 new.

New other, So could be secondhand?
£200 new.

It is removed from a complete drone so yes, it is a second-hand part. ;-) I've bought plenty of spare parts from ebay.de, including one complete spare drone, CGO3+, gimbals, ST24 transmitter and center part without motors, that I am using for my PX4 fork development. "Official" Yuneec spare part prices are a bit too high for my taste. No issues so far... ;-)

Last edited:
It is removed from a complete drone so yes, it is a second-hand part. ;-) I've bought plenty of spare parts from ebay.de, including one complete spare drone, CGO3+, gimbals, ST24 transmitter and center part without motors, that I am using for my PX4 fork development. "Official" Yuneec spare part prices are a bit too high for my taste. No issues so far... ;-)
I have bought many spares from eBay sellers in Germany and Copter Eu, they are cheaper than Yuneec UK and limited shops here in UK,

Still puzzled by why & how this occurred. My H is 6 months old, never crashed or dropped or abused in any way. For 1000$ worth of tech to stop working without reason is unacceptable. The prop that broke was shipped with the H.

I was able to test the motors with the GUI, but no error report & the motor giving me a problem wouldn't spin up either. Gave a little vibrating turn but that's all.

I was able to test the motors with the GUI, but no error report & the motor giving me a problem wouldn't spin up either. Gave a little vibrating turn but that's all.
Can you swap a motor/arm to check? Move the faulty one to one of the ones you know works.and the good one to the faulty slot on the copter Sometimes a motor will give up, but it might point to an internal problem.

Reactions: WTFDproject
Changed out the arm/motor that was causing the issue & now all is well again with my H.

Cant believe how easy it was to do the swap. Thanks for the How-To videos uploaded by members of the forum.

Reactions: rdonson
Changed out the arm/motor that was causing the issue & now all is well again with my H.

Cant believe how easy it was to do the swap. Thanks for the How-To videos uploaded by members of the forum.
Good news.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan