Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor Smoke

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to turn on my Typhoon H today and as it was revving on the ground I noticed some light smoke coming from one of the motors and a burnt smell. On examination I see the coils are darker and it feel as though when I spin it manually there is a bit less give than the other motors.

I'm guessing 2 things, but want your opinion:

1 - I assume I need to replace the motor. I see them around for $20 -- and of course my time to sit around and do the job.

2 - Does Yuneec warranty something like this?

3 - Should I be worried about going through all the hassle of fixing this and the next motor dies as well? I'm wondering what can be the cause. It all looks very clean, no debris as far as I can tell.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Yikes!
You did not say how old it is. If it is still within 6 months, I feel certain Yuneec will spring for it under warranty, and probably even pay UPS shipping in both directions. Out of warranty you can probably do it yourself, just make sure you get a new motor from a good vendor.

Were you revving it up without the props on? This can overheat a motor quickly. Motor failures must be pretty rare. Yours is the first I have heard of on the H. I would call customer service first. They have been very good about taking care of customers.

Perhaps something might have fallen inside the motor and damage it?

Leaves, sand and even gravel can easily be pulled into the air and back into the motors by the ground effect; the ventilations on the motors give plenty of space for foreign objects to go inside, (I believe its very unlikely because of the high speeds it rotates, but its not impossible)

TH_3d_Arrows.jpg

Greetings!

Prolly a warranty item but I'd sure like to know if it had been used for carrying weight additional to the standard weight. If it had that additional amount of weight would help determine the amount of head room available in the base system,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No extra weight. But I'm curious as to why weight would matter? Wouldn't it just not lift up? It would still just be blowing wind down.

I bought the drone in July. I guess I'll try Yuneec first.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The motors only run at full load for short bursts such as sudden acceleration, fast changes in direction or compensating for wind. Adding weight increases the load on all the motors for an extended period and can cause overheating. In your situation it's probably just the luck of the draw. A certain percentage are bound to fail early and it's impossible to predict. Yuneec will make it right.

your typhoon h was doing a burnout...let me know when it learns to drift lol

Any time you let the smoke out of an electrical component you have a clear indication of a serious problem. Don't try to fly it. You cannot put the smoke back in;)

Hi,

I went to turn on my Typhoon H today and as it was revving on the ground I noticed some light smoke coming from one of the motors and a burnt smell. On examination I see the coils are darker and it feel as though when I spin it manually there is a bit less give than the other motors.

I'm guessing 2 things, but want your opinion:

1 - I assume I need to replace the motor. I see them around for $20 -- and of course my time to sit around and do the job.

2 - Does Yuneec warranty something like this?

3 - Should I be worried about going through all the hassle of fixing this and the next motor dies as well? I'm wondering what can be the cause. It all looks very clean, no debris as far as I can tell.

Thanks for anyone's input.
If there is smoke from the motor ofcourse its a problem with it! Why even consider another alternative then change it?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin