Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Near Miss with TH Pro

DoomMeister

Moderator/Tech Junkie
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
On my first flight on January 31 at Lake Sumter in The Villages Florida I had a very narrow escape from a denuded Cyprus tree. I have come to the conclusion that if your first name is Steve, you need to avoid our woody co-inhabitants of Earth while flying your UAS. You can see just how close I was to disaster. There is no sound track as it would have been an ear piercingly shrill scream from the TH.

Last edited:
On my first flight on January 31 at Lake Sumter in The Villages Florida I had a very narrow escape from a denuded Cyprus tree. I have come to the conclusion that if your first name is Steve, you need to avoid our woody co-inhabitants of Earth while flying your UAS. You can see just how close I was to disaster. There is no sound track as it would have been an ear piercingly shrill scream from the TH.

That's enough to take the pucker factor to 10 LOL

Reactions: Docdor and ronrod68
There you go, showing off, like a 3 year old.;)
Had this H for several weeks and trying to be pro at it.;)

There you go, showing off, like a 3 year old.;)
Had this H for several weeks and trying to be pro at it.;)

What can I say Dad? Trying to fly like another moderator named Steve. There's still a little shaving cream stuck to the top branches of that Cyprus.

Reactions: AH-1G
I've had a close call as you, didn't realize it until I saw the video.:eek:

I've had a close call as you, didn't realize it until I saw the video.:eek:

I remember that video. I think the FD Chief was looking through the FPV goggles at the time.

Reactions: AH-1G

RealSense?

Nice camera, Steve! I can see a spider hanging on a branch for his dear life. [emoji23]

LOL, I normally lift to a little higher to avoid stick and electric wire, which is really dangerous even with OBS

Was this a case of you not checking the screen? I had less luck in a similar situation where I was watching the TH and not checking the screen. From where I was stancing, I could not judge the relative distance between the tree and drone. Lots of parts to replace.

I basically watch the aircraft and only glance at the screen, unless I am in a hover. I should start using the RealSense when I’m near trees.

Or just use “more sense”!

[emoji56]

Even better!!!

I gave RealSense a try yesterday afternoon. It does stop you from running into trees.

I am cameraless at the moment due to a faulty sensor in the CGO3+ (dark vertical lines in overexposed highlights) and I needed to deplete fully charged batteries. I found that just flying the TH is as much fun as taking video with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I basically watch the aircraft and only glance at the screen, unless I am in a hover. I should start using the RealSense when I’m near trees.
Exactly what you should be doing. Eyes on the aircraft and only glance at the screen to line up shots and video. When you are looking at the screen then it can be argued that you don't have VLOS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis