Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need advice

Reaction score
Hi guys, I may use some advice for buying yuneec q500 4k wiring harnesses/ parts. Where to buy those things? Any trusted site? Thank you in advance

q500 4k wiring harnesses/ parts.

You might benefit from posting a "Wanted" item in the classifieds section of this forum.
A few of the larger components can be found on sites like Vertigo Drones, Horizon Hobby, Yuneec USA.
The harness itself is a different story. I don't think you will find it as an assembled kit. You will need to make your own, which includes finding the terminals, and having the tools to crimp the pins. Another alternative is buying a crashed drone on eBay or some other classifieds site. Not many crashes will be showing up at this time of year (not as many folks flying).

What parts of the harness do you need? Do you have the original connectors?

Thank you very much for ur response, I need the connector from mainboard to those 2 connectors (ones that we connect the gimbal to) sorry I'm just new, I dont know yet what they are called thank you

For those, you are in luck. The compass wire and connectors are the same as the camera harness, just different color wire. And they are commonly available on the internet. One compass wire will have two connectors on it, but will not have enough wire. You can splice in additional wire as needed.

This part of the harness does get a little confusing. The order of the "belly" pins is reversed from the order of the "nose" pins. You absolutely MUST get the wires connected in the right order. Even a brief touch of cross-wire will do damage to the mainboard and/or the gimbal board.

Do you know which sources go to which pins?

And do you have a multimeter to check them BEFORE powering it up?

I can probably find or make some pictures of "where things go" if you need them, but you will still need a way to check nothing got crossed. Simply trying to trace the wires will likely lead to some damaged equipment (all the "compass" wires are the same color)

I could use a picture of your main board. There were some variations in the tap locations and PWM connectors. If I need to make some pictures, knowing exactly which board you have will be easier to mark up.

Thank you very much for telling that.. 1 problem solved. But the other connector which goes to the gimbal plate connector in front, only has 3 wires is a bit smaller...

I'm taking apart a Q500 now to take pictures. My memory is bad, but I'm pretty sure one of the more available connectors will work there. It will take awhile to get a good series of pictures made.

In the meantime, I have asked moderator Steve Carr to look at moving this thread. He has moved it to the "Q500 Discussion" sub-forum, where it will more likely be seen by others who can help.

Should have some pictures in an hour or so.

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about ... I'm thinking about the one on the right side thank you

Steve,
I think those are the "Belly button" ( Gimbal Plug) and its external 'Pigtail" connector. Do you happen to have a numbered picture of the internal connector for this plug?
He also needs a "nose" (Slide Mount) connector and its internal plug?

Whoops. Sorry 'bout that. Glad Steve Carr posted. Wish I had seen it before my last post.

Panda, are you just talking about the little pigtail harness that goes from the camera to the connector on the outside of the drone? That's a whole lot easier.

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about ... I'm thinking about the one on the right side thank you

Panda,
Based on the last few posts, I have put the picture project "on-hold" for now.
Please tell me if you are talking about the wiring INSIDE the drone ( "the connector from mainboard to those 2 connectors (ones that we connect the gimbal to)" or just the small harness on the OUTSIDE of the drone ("Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about ... I'm thinking about the one on the right side")

IF you are talking about internal wiring, I will get some photos. Otherwise, I will just apologize for misunderstanding your issue.

Be good,
Tom B

Sorry for late reply I'm at work, yes I am talking about the wires inside. the ones that goes to the gimbal slide mount and one that goes to middle which we connect the pigtail from tha camera thank you very much guys.

Good. That gives me about three extra hours to work with. I got some pictures. Not great, but I'll get them labeled and post them shortly. The front connector is actually the same "Pin" size, it just is reduced to three pins. I am including pictures on how to unpin the connector, and how to trim the extra hole off so that the other end of a "compass" wire will work. The camera only uses 3 wires. The compass uses 4. That gives you the extra wire to use for the little bit of extra length that is needed.

Panda,

I am assuming in this post that you are going to use the cable from a Q500 compass to make the new wiring harness. You will need to remove one wire completely from the “4” Pin connectors, and relocate one of the remaining wires at the slide mount end. You will also have to remove one “Hole” from the Slide Mount end. It’s easier for me to just remove all wires from both ends, remove the hole, do the wiring and soldering, then use the numbers to make up the junction beside the gimbal Plug connector, and to land the pins in the right places on the final connectors. Doing them ONE WIRE AT A TIME might be easier to avoid getting crossed up.

Here is how to slip the wire pins out of the connectors:

Use something with a sharp tip to bend up each Pin Latch:
Unlatch Pin.jpg

Gently tug the wire from the rear to remove the Pin:
Tug Pin Out.jpg

When all pins are out, trim the end hole from ONE of the connectors. Cut down THROUGH the end Hole (doesn’t matter which end). Then trim the connector up as needed to fit into the Slide Mount “3 pin” connector.
Trim Pin.jpg

These pictures use the numbering pattern from Steve Carr’s post above. I added the original colors, but you are going to be using wires that are all the same. Just match the numbers at each point.
Power Taps .jpg

Inside front.jpg

Outside Front.jpg

I just thought of something. The picture of the green mainboard above is the standard version that came with a factory Q500 4K. Unfortunately there were several other versions floating around at the same time. The arrangement of the holes where the PWM attaches to the left rear of the mainboard varied A LOT. Some boards had more rows of holes, some used a slide-on connector, some had a soldered on "box" connector, etc. The PWM is always one of the INSIDE holes. IF your board is not standard, pay attention to which "row" is associated with the original PWM connection. Getting the wrong "Row" won't damage anything ( but the camera may not initialize and you will not have manual tilt, until you find the right "row"). Getting the wrong "column" WILL damage things.

Please question everything, and feel free to ask anything that is not clear. As you know, this was patched together quickly, and hasn't been reviewed by anyone. I will be here for about another hour or so, and will check the post before I turn in for the night.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430