Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need help; q500 took a tumble

Reaction score
The drone took a tumble from about 40 - 50 ft, got a replacement camera for it. When the drone starts up it has a constant chirp and the light underneath the battery compartment flashes red and red solid lights on the back two lights under the motor (see the attached video link ). Can't get the drone to sync with the GUI, downloaded the USB drivers and doesn't help and trying to run the program as admin doesn't work at all.

The other problems with connecting GUI:
1.) Wrong GUI version. There is a MAC version, and a Windows version.
2.) The Windows version runs best in Windows 7 compatibility Mode.
3.) Wrong USB type. The cable must be the one that came with the Q500 (Part# YunA100). Standard USB cables will not work. (The GUI itself should start without the USB connected at all.)
4.) Low battery voltage will not prevent the GUI from starting, but might may keep the GUI from connecting to the drone.

Note the GUI does not start like most programs we are used to. There will be a brief indication (spinning circle) when you first select the icon. The brief indication goes away completely on some machines . There may be NO indication anything is happening for a long time, maybe a minute for some computers, maybe longer. Give it at least two full minutes before trying again. Every time you click it, it starts trying to load another copy, which can REALLY slow down the process.

The basic code (high/low) is failure to initialize, but I suppose you already know that. Unless someone knows the follow up code for (six?) beeps, you will need to get the GUI running to see what is failing.

Have the correct interface adapter YunA100. I see a dim blue light on the USB connector, but in the GUI i see disconnected Trying port COM3

Is the blue light supposed to be very bright on the USB adapter, mine I can barely see. Do these adapters go bad? Does the GUI work better on a pure windows 7 computer?

"Is the blue light supposed to be very bright on the USB adapter"
Not very bright at all until the drone connects.
1.) with USB plugged into the computer, but not the drone (or drone off), and GUI not running, light should be off.
2.) with USB plugged into the computer, but not the drone (or drone off), but GUI running, blue light should flicker about a second, off about a second, and repeat. And will be very dim.
3.) USB Plugged into both computer and drone, GUI running, and drone turned on, light should flicker constantly, and be a good bit brighter.

"Does the GUI work better on a pure windows 7 computer? "
I don't really know. I've run it on a couple dozen machines in both Windows 7 and Windows 10, and never had an issue. The drivers should not have been an issue if your machine is a Windows 10. I think Windows 10 already has the right drivers installed. I don't recall having to install them in a long time.

I found SOME of the Initialization failure codes:
1.) Hi/lo, two short - Compass failure
2.) Hi/lo, three short - GPS unit, or any sub-part of the Unit
3/) Hi/lo, six short, followed by one or more "tic" sounds - ESC failure. The tic sounds are 1 to 4, corresponding to the ESC failed on motor 1 to 4. I can hear Hi/lo and what appears to be 6 short in your video. My hearing is not all that great. Were the six shorts followed by any "tic" sounds?
It also appears that if more than one failure code exists, only the first one is sounded.

Did you have the top shell off between the last good flight and the first time the drone failed to initialize?
I ask because "cut wires" are a common problem when assembling a Q500 shell. The most common wire to get cut will prevent the GUI from connecting to the drone. Different cut wires would also result in the failure code of whatever component the wire serves.

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my